Missing Dowel Pins on transmission/engine (how much damage is done?)

dth0ng69

5+ Year Member
ey, I have a 96 civic d16y7.
I had a friend do a clutch job for me, changed (the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing)

here comes the big mess ...

A week later My throwout bearing starting making noise (high pitch screech until lightly tapping the clutch pedal) AND my tranny started leaking...

I was wondering why all my stuff was getting damaged, he told me he didn't use the Dowel Pins that mate the Engine and transmission together because they were deformed.. I did research and know that missing dowel pins = very bad.

I already gave up on this tranny since its leaking now. I bought another tranny already.

However what I am wondering now is .. how much damage do you think is done to my clutch kit/flywheel/crank/engine ?

I hear that it can damage your throwout bearing, clutch disc, presssure plate etc etc.

Do you think I can get away with just replacing the tranny and throwout bearing or how much damage do you think it done? (i only drove it about 150 miles since the repair)

thank you so much for reading ! knowledgeable feedback is much appreciated

RonJ

Banned
Drop the transmission and find out.

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You have to pull the trans regardless. If you replaced the trans/pins etc, would you feel like doing it again in a few months if a problem occurs with the clutch? If not, then I suggest to replace it. If you don't mind the work, slap a new trans on and see what happens I guess.

Doubletap

5+ Year Member
I had a buddy who forgot to put the pins back on when he was putting his head back on his B series. Least to say, his head was trashed and his pistons got damaged when he turned over the engine afterwards due to not being true.