Mods: MPG/HP?

entellect

t3h bumble b33 is buzzin
5+ Year Member
I just bought a 1999 Silver Civic. It is currently stock. Performance wise I want to put in a AEM V2 Intake, Tenzo Venturi Cat-Back Exhaust, DC 4-2-1 Headers, and an Apex'I S-AFC II Air/Fuel Computer. My car puts out about 127HP at the crank and I am usually getting 30.5 MPG. How will my mods affect my HP and MPG? Are any of my parts not worth the money? Would you do something different? Any suggestions performance or appearence would be appreciated.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
none of those should negatively affect mpg, unless you mess with the safc, which will do nothing but kill hp and mpg. in fact, those may slightly improve your mpg. if you decide to make extra noise and rev the car more or drive it harder b/c of the new mods, your mileage will decrease a lot. and honestly, nothing you have there is worth it, thats easily $1200+ for maybe 7 whp. if mpg is your worry, dont mod the car. if you want performance, spend money elsewhere- save for a nitrous or turbo, or motor swap.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Out of all of those.. the S-AFC is the biggest waste of cash... You won't have anywhere near sufficient mods to have need to mess with your A/F ratio. Messing with that thing will just slow you down and as Mike said, hurt your MPG.

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mike is right.....save up, don't waste money on those lil mods for your D.....

save up a couple more hundred or thousand and get something that will actually make a difference in preformance.

entellect

t3h bumble b33 is buzzin
5+ Year Member
Hmm.. okay thanks. I think I will get turbo for my stock motor. What previous mods do I need before dabbling with FI? Can you give me an overview of the cost? And as usual how will it affect my HP/MPG? Sorry If I am posting incorrectly or something.

My car right now...

Soon...

+ Turbo

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
that kit looks really clean.

You're going to need to read up on how turbos work and how to properly maintain a turbocharged car before you decide to get one. Through this you can learn what mods you'll, what precautions you're gonna take, and how much you're going to spend.. and what kind of gains you'll get.

This may prove useful http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=37937

PRindio03

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sorry man..there's nothing clean about that kit..it looks major rice if u want clean try going for more of a front lip side skirts rear lip kinda deal. But don't go buying nitrous just for the hype..that stuff is putting mad stress on your engine. Just save up for a new block change..

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
umm those are all around lips he has on...i would jus go with type r lips...
and yes if ur worried about mpg then don't mod ur car or don't pull with ur car...
cant have it both ways...

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You are gonna affect MPG when you get a turbo. You can always get a intake for now so that you get better MPG and a bit of HP. You can also do the exhaust now before you get a turbo, it will help later. But if money is an issue just deal with what you have and save up. I have Intake and exhaust on my car and it helps MPG but when I eventually get a turb on my car I know and am ok with the loss of MPG for sheer fun. There is a lot of info on this site for going FI and the folks on here will help you ouy big time. Do alot of research first and I say make your own set up instead of buying a kit.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
None of what you listed is really going to amount to much. If you want better mileage change your driving style. I average 34 mpg in my auto EX.