Motor mount busted

DANgerousEK

The Holy Roller
5+ Year Member
My motor mount is busted on my 96 civic dx....see:

Can I just get new motor mount inserts all around for the engine, or do I need to buy the whole new mount?

Also...do you have to pull the engine to replace any of the motor mounts?

Thanks a ton!

Dan

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
where is it busted?

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no you dont need to pull the motor, just jack it up to support the weight

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh ok. Well yes you can buy inserts and no you dont have to pull the motor. I changed mounts by putting a block of wood on a jack and lifting the motor from the oilpan.

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You think that is bad? s**t, you should have seen my Jeep. Does that tear allow the engine to rock back and fourth way too much or do you hear collision noises under the hood because the engine is moving to much?

DANgerousEK

The Holy Roller
5+ Year Member
Revolver said:
You think that is bad? s**t, you should have seen my Jeep. Does that tear allow the engine to rock back and fourth way too much or do you hear collision noises under the hood because the engine is moving to much?
HAHA! Nope...not that bad.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
at least its not the lower left on the frame mount, that one will slam back and forth by the ac compressor ( i know from expierence)

civicdrvr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
beside seeing a crack what else tells u u have bad mounts?

ReggieSD

PoPoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can just get a new motor mount from the junk yard for hopefully around $30-$40 or maybe cheaper...you don't have to pull the engine out if you're just replacing that one motor mount since you still have 2 remaining mounts left hooked up. to be on the safe side you put a jack under the block to get additional support, plus it makes it easier to remove the mount. mine is the same way right now, i found that out when i was going to install motor mount inserts. i didn't have time so i just put the inserts anyway and i'll just get a new mount when i get a chance. it's ok so far...i took it to the track last week and i did fine. the car doesn't shake anymore when i'm rolling from a stop...but the vibrations are there, not because of the mount being busted but because of the inserts.

the inserts take the play off from the motor mounts so even if the mount has a crack on rubber part of it, you should do fine. though i recommend that it's better to get a new mount, and if you have the inserts already, you'll do all the hard work in just one time. hope this helps!

DANgerousEK

The Holy Roller
5+ Year Member
So the inserts do not replace the motor mount insert(if you can call it that) on the drivers side? They just go over the top of it or something?

DANgerousEK

The Holy Roller
5+ Year Member
all go no show said:
yeah inserts go in between the spaces in the mount, its a harder urethane as opposed to the stock rubber. They prohibit flex in those spaces and make them stiffer. Here is a pic so you get an idea... see how the red insert is formed to fill those spaces?
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/About-Motor-Mount-Inserts.jpg
Ok

Hey...you guys have been very helpful. Thanks a ton!

Hey...so can all the motor mounts on the car be replaced without removing the engine?

God Bless,
Dan

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DANgerousEK said:
Ok

Hey...you guys have been very helpful. Thanks a ton!

Hey...so can all the motor mounts on the car be replaced without removing the engine?

God Bless,
Dan
id say yes, although ive never tried it, but the rear will be the hardest. btw when i bought all the mounts to do my old b16 swap, i paid $25 a mount, to give you an idea of what they should cost...

DANgerousEK

The Holy Roller
5+ Year Member
ReggieSD said:
here's a link on the motor mount insert install...pretty good write up.

http://speed-society.com/forum/phpBB2/features/tech/6g_civic_mm_inserts/
Wow...great write up.

I got the new mount and inserts on the way. Total cost $65 shipped for everything. Everything new. Not bad considering the new mount costs like $90 from honda. Geeze. I'll let you know how it goes and see how I like the feel of the new inserts.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
DANgerousEK said:
Got a pic?
BAM! :lol:

figured since today was my last day with the '96, had to take a pic before friend took it off my hands