mount screen near cupholders?

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i got a 7 inch touch screen for christmas. i have it where the stock headunit is, but i just realized i have what it takes to mount it near the cupholders...do you think the screen will have enough room to flip up if i put it there, cause im really excited to do this i just need some cc'ers opinions. thanks

b16CIVICSI

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just put mine in but it goes where the stock head unit goes but the only thing i would be worried about is spilling something on it so i didnt put it there

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
true, yeah i never though of that i usually never have anything to drink but if i do its usually from wawa with a tight lid (i dont like to drink or eat in my car)

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
personally, i think it would be badass, i've had the urge to do that (if i ever had the money) for a looooong time. i dont think it would be a problem, and i dont think spilling would be a big issue either because if you have something in the cup holders, the lid is gonna be up that covers them, kind of acting as a barrier between the spill and the unit.

go for it and post pics!!!

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
hondaspeedax you gave me inspiration! thank you im gonna do it tommorow. i will take pics so everyone will see, by the way its a dual touch screen and my g/f got it for me. i <3 her haha

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
also, i took the lid off a while ago, but i see that im glad i did that so it wont get in the way of the screen. if i successfully get the screen where the cupholders are, what should i put in place of the stock headunit spot? is there some kind of block off plate? if there someone send me a link for it or sell me their thanks.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i think that's gay unless there's a purpose. like you're putting some sort of controller or important gauges in the stock headunit spot.

and a flip down there is not a good idea, imo. maybe a flush mounted screen. but that's just me.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
but if you have it up top, ur blocking AC too...but i do agree with too...cept for the flush mounted screen down there.....how? unless you glass it

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yeah, you'd have to completely customize that area.

i don't understand the complaints about blocking the vents. big frickin' deal. i've had a screen for... uhh.. about four years. it's never bothered me to have them blocked. if you really, really need AC on your face and the side vent isn't enough, just close the screen. there's no rule saying that you have to have your s**t open ALL the time.

it's just my preference. i love that little pocket. i'm all for customizing that s**t. i had a dvd player down there for the longest time... but i wouldn't like a screen down there at all.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeha maybe your right, i mean it didnt bother me that it blocked the vents...i just wanted to put gauges in there...but maybe ill put the gauges down below even though it will be out of sight and hard to look at while your driving. ill probably just leave it where it is.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you're putting gauges there, it makes sense. at least there is a reason for it.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
well yeah i just wanted someone who had a screen down there to tell me if its a good idea or not...i mean ive seen head units down there i just wanted to know how it looked with a screen

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you'll have to do some serious googling. i'm pretty sure no one on this site has done that.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yea i dont think anyone on here has one....actually i seem to remember someone with SOMETHING down there but i cant remember....

but yea, thats why im putting gauges down there and not my headunit

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i think there might be a few with gauges. not sure about headunits. like i said, i had a deck down there... but if you constantly had to reach down there.... annoying!

kaace

I'm getting there...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey akiahara...how hot does it get in sac-town?

tjlucas

Banned
i seen a 99civic with the screen at the bottom. the guy said he did a lot of custom work cuz he didnt just put it at the bottom. he had it shifted closer and angled so its ezier to get to. i see why u dont want it infront of the vents, it wont look rite having ur screen blocking a working park of the dash. just lettin u know thats one way i seen it and it wasnt too low or n e thin like that.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
kaace said:
hey akiahara...how hot does it get in sac-town?
not quite as hot as bakersfield. ;)

why do you ask?

tjlucas said:
i seen a 99civic with the screen at the bottom. the guy said he did a lot of custom work cuz he didnt just put it at the bottom. he had it shifted closer and angled so its ezier to get to. i see why u dont want it infront of the vents, it wont look rite having ur screen blocking a working park of the dash. just lettin u know thats one way i seen it and it wasnt too low or n e thin like that.
as far as i know, the 99s are different in that spot. in a 96, it's really simple to put a screen there, if it's a single din unit. i don't think it would have enough room to flip up if you have an automatic. i could be wrong, but that's the way it looks to me. probably fine if you have a 5spd though.

kaace

I'm getting there...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Akiahara96 said:
i don't understand the complaints about blocking the vents. big frickin' deal. i've had a screen for... uhh.. about four years. it's never bothered me to have them blocked. if you really, really need AC on your face and the side vent isn't enough, just close the screen.
last time i was in sac-town (last summer) it was friggin hot...