MPG QUESTION... 200 miles on 1 tank?

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have noticed that my MPG can depend on where I buy my gas SIGNIFICANTLY! Started to buy gas from speedway and gain 5-10 MPG.

WTF? maybe your problem too?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its probably the upstream o2 sensor. if they start to go bad, even just a little bit, it will kill your fuel economy, and your CEL wont necessarily be on. you should be getting at least 30mpg in your civic. my turbo 1.8 gets 30-33 mixed city/highway

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my b18 gets around 26-27 but its running rich. once i get that solved mileage should go up

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check:
02 sensor
where you fill up at
spark plugs
shift sooner

I've been getting worse mileage this winter, i heard a rumor that the oil companies are putting winterizer in the gas to water it down but i'm not sure, I did get great gas mileage last summer.

Very diff mpg if i drive it like i want to vs how I should.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I used to get 425 out of my y7 when I had it. I just babied it around town and really didn't romp on it. :what:

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
don't know why nobody has hit on this yet but have you checked your brakes? my hand brake wasnt releasing all the way for some reason and it seized my rear calipers. i didnt realize it at first so the new pads i put on lasted a whole 4 months and thats when i realized i had a problem. i ended up replacing both calipers, pads, rotors, and had the parking brake adjusted. works great now and my mpg went form 22ish to about 31 in the city. (oh and ive got a z6 so mine will vary from yours) now granted you have drums but its still the same basic principle.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
don't know why nobody has hit on this yet but have you checked your brakes? my hand brake wasnt releasing all the way for some reason and it seized my rear calipers. i didnt realize it at first so the new pads i put on lasted a whole 4 months and thats when i realized i had a problem. i ended up replacing both calipers, pads, rotors, and had the parking brake adjusted. works great now and my mpg went form 22ish to about 31 in the city. (oh and ive got a z6 so mine will vary from yours) now granted you have drums but its still the same basic principle.
Hmm i should check that, as I did my brakes last fall about the last time I had good mileage.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you can't notice your brakes are engaged, something is wrong with you :lol:. If it's the smallest amount, I can understand that. But even a little. I know when my parking brake is a few clicks up without even looking down at the cluster light or down at the handle.

One time my friend drove about 4-5 miles with his parking brake fully engaged. How? I have no idea. You have to be stupid to not realize your parking brake is not on and your car is having a whole lot harder time to accelerate. He finally got out of his car and saw smoke POURING out of his rear wheel well.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you can't notice your brakes are engaged, something is wrong with you :lol:. If it's the smallest amount, I can understand that. But even a little. I know when my parking brake is a few clicks up without even looking down at the cluster light or down at the handle.

One time my friend drove about 4-5 miles with his parking brake fully engaged. How? I have no idea. You have to be stupid to not realize your parking brake is not on and your car is having a whole lot harder time to accelerate. He finally got out of his car and saw smoke POURING out of his rear wheel well.
lol it wasnt so much that it was on. the light wasnt on the dash and the lever itself was fully disengaged. it was more of a problem with the calipers then anything else. they worked fine but they wouldnt release all the way. they would hold the pads to the rotors. not tight enough to notice but enough to drag them the entire time.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I used to get 425 out of my y7 when I had it. I just babied it around town and really didn't romp on it. :what:
dang i should baby it too to get that 425 out of my y7 with y8intake mani.
i get around 300 hauling my ass around my town.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

I agree I don't think that could be possible, I personally would notice it when rolling in neutral

Alberto521

Just call me Alberto
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, thanks for the tips guys, I am guessing that it may be my o2 sensor, ill get that checked ASAP.

I dont think it is my brakes, because when i coast it, it keeps going, doesnt really try to stop.

And... how about the funny burning clutch/oil smell? Also, where the wires go (for spark plugs) there seems to be oil residue... is that normal?

iluvpho

5+ Year Member
193 on half a tank (about 6 gallons) on hwy. and about 150 on local on half a tank

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how about the funny burning clutch/oil smell? Also, where the wires go (for spark plugs) there seems to be oil residue... is that normal?
Deff not normal, are you sure it's oil?

Could be grease from a torn CV boot or something I know my civic at at least 3 CV boots.

Alberto521

Just call me Alberto
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My friend says he tinks my car is burning oil.

I doubt it is a leak because there are no oil puddles under my car in my driveway.

Also, i just changed the oil about 1 month ago, and i checked it last saturday, and it was half full.... and other thing. My engine seems to get hotter than my friend's civic. He has more s**t done to his, and he ramps on his more than i do on mine, and his doesnt get as hot as mine. But other thing, my coolant is at MAX level, and my temp gauge is at normal...

leftywill3

I AM TAMARACK!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have no idea but I def am only getting about 28-30 in my y8 and I have been trying very hard to shift before 4k
I think the brake thing is stupid too i notice it right away.
Also timing belts should be changed about every 90k miles just letting you know
As for the heating issue does he have an aftermarket radiator, you should look into getting one.

Alberto521

Just call me Alberto
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I see a radiator advertised here... Mishimoto...

I am kinda short in money, whats good and affordable?

rndmheroxx

5+ Year Member
maybe you have a coolant leak under your hood, that could be the oily residue you notice. check all your hoses

cksnah252

Mr.Spades4o1
5+ Year Member
s**t I had the same problem like you! I am going to try and change my o2 sensor and see what happens. I'll do that in about 2-3 weeks or so because I'm trying to fix damaged front end! Keep us posted to see what is causing the problem for you!