Mpg?!

Beastpatty

5+ Year Member
I have a 93 civic ex...So, I just got back from the gas station. I went through my first FULL Tank of gas...and I'm pretty disappointed.
I went there to fill up and the civic took 8.2 gallons how big is the gas tank? I had 185 miles on the trip odometer and was close to the E...So i'm averaging 22 mpg. I thought I would be getting more. It consisted of 80miles on the highway, and the rest was city driving.
:?:

Jaydles

Too Honest
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Damn thats horrible.
I have a 94 hatch dx and I usually fill my tank up once i get to half full.
And by that time I'm already up to at least 200 miles. That is with horrible shifting and fast acceleration.
I have a 12 gal tank.

Roughly on the like 9 times I've got gas I have gotten 35mpg.

Beastpatty

5+ Year Member
Could it be because it's automatic and has no power up hills and is practically at 3,000 rpms all the time.

RonJ

Banned
Is the engine stock? Any mods? Any CEL codes? Are the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor new? Have you checked the ignition timing?

Beastpatty

5+ Year Member
Yes the engines stock, I havent checked any of that...I have a picture of the engine if it helps any.

1Lowcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got around 32 with my old 94 ex.. they have a 10 gallon tank if i'm not mistaken.

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i usually average around 28-32 average with city and highway. all hightway i can get about 38

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its an 11.9 gallon tank
with my jdm b16 i average 24-28mpg city (including spirited driving) and 32+ highway and i wasn't cruising the whole time

Beastpatty

5+ Year Member
Maybe I should just get a simple tune up, oil change, plugs, air filter and see what happens after next fill up.

Aaron.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
idk man, worst ive ever gotten in my 89 hatch was 25 and thats driving like a total idiot to so you probably just need a tune up

calltrex

5+ Year Member
i get 550km per tank in my 95 hatchback

might be able to get to 600 but dont want to run out

Del sol-R

5+ Year Member
Change your fuel filter and air filter along with your tune up and you should be good on mileage.

Hazy3gs

5+ Year Member
i fill up around 1/4 tank and its usually about 200-240. i just got my civic a month ago. air filter on mine is clean and can be and i have all the work papers from the previous owner and it got a tune up/spark plugs 15k ago and just had the oil changed right before i picked it up. maybe i just drive to fast or rev to high?

Beastpatty

5+ Year Member
I think its a mixture of revving to high just to make the power to get up a freakin hill...thats what I think my problem is...it has no power so it has to work so hard to move. I could be wrong.

BlownGasket

Civic From Hell
5+ Year Member
when i bought my 93 d16z6 ej1 5spd i got 28mpg. it had 153k with one owner. I didnt notice until i found out it couldnt pass emissions. so here is what i did and i got 44mpg driving sensibly and 29 driving like a demon possessed nascar driver until i got my supercharger. now its a gas murderer. here is all of what i did:
replaced fuel filter
replaced spark plugs (Autolite DblPlatinum)
got bigger plug wires (10mm v.s. stock 5.5 or 6mm. I'm not sure)
short ram intake w/K&N filter
cleaned points on distributor and rotor
seafoamed twice
new catalytic converter header/catback exhaust
slightly advanced the timing
used high detergent oil ran for 300 miles running it hard. drained the oil, flushed the crank case with kerosine three times. drained and heated the crank case, then put in standard motor oil. 30w. i prefer valvoline, whatever you like.
you have an auto i believe but i changed out my clutch for a stage two and a lightweight flywheel, expensive but in the long run really makes a difference on gas mileage.

do all of that one weekend, spend the money and you will get your returns faster than you would think in gas mileage. plus a little bit of power gain. cant complain with that right :-) hope i helped

Gasket