MPH Gauge!!!!!!!!!

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey what would the problem be if my mph gauge is reading incorrectly also what kinda test could I do to check if in fact it is messed up????

TaNk00VsM

5+ Year Member
iono but mines reads like 5 mph off as well

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Bump anyone have ideas of what can cause this or how to diagnos it?

kbrownmann

5+ Year Member
you can find out for sure by going by one of those cop radars and check your speed against what yours says

RonJ

Banned
I have two bone-stock 6th gen Civics and both speedometers read approximately 3 mph faster than actual speed or the speed read by an OBDII scan tool.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you can find out for sure by going by one of those cop radars and check your speed against what yours says
I tried that but those aren't that accurate since there are other cars in the road assumming you are talking about the ones that on the side of the road???

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have two bone-stock 6th gen Civics and both speedometers read approximately 3 mph faster than actual speed or the speed read by an OBDII scan tool.
So I can hook up an obdII scan tool to see if its off? Where would I plug the scan tool to get this reading and can you give me a how to? thanks

RonJ

Banned
So I can hook up an obdII scan tool to see if its off? Where would I plug the scan tool to get this reading and can you give me a how to? thanks
Plug the OBDII scan tool into the Data Link Connector located just above the driver's kick panel. But you need a scan tool capable of reading mph from the ECU. The most basic code readers don't necessarily have this capability. I have this scan tool:

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Could I pick one up at like pep boys? Or something like that? Also I have a 98 civic dx hatch bone stock with a y7 and I never seen that connector you are speaking of???

RonJ

Banned
Could I pick one up at like pep boys? Or something like that?
Possibly. You need a scan tool that reads live data. Shop around. Be sure to compare prices at locals sores with those online. For example, the CP9180 is currently $144 at Amazon.

Also I have a 98 civic dx hatch bone stock with a y7 and I never seen that connector you are speaking of???
Put your head under the driver's side dash and look above the kick panel. It should be clearly visible there.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OK thanks will do... I'll see when I can get my hands on a scan tool so I can do this

Chucklee514

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It seems that most cars, in my experience, say they're going faster than they are by a few miles per hour compared to the computer when hooked up to a scan tool.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea thats what it looks like but I have a strange feeling my car is way more off then 3mph

RonJ

Banned
It seems that most cars, in my experience, say they're going faster than they are by a few miles per hour compared to the computer when hooked up to a scan tool.
Contrary to my two Civics, my 98 Toyota speedometer is dead on with the scan tool and actual speed.

Chucklee514

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Both my wife's Saab and my Civic read 3 mph faster than actual speed. Then my friends comment that their vehicles read faster than their actual speed. That's why I said in my experience.

RonJ

Banned
my GPS and MPH gauge are 4 mph off i just average it ;p
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my scan tool and GPS agree on speed but differ with my Civic speedometer (+3mph). In contrast, all three devices agree in my 98 Toyota.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lol I'll have to check mine out I think I'll see if my aunt's gps takes down her mph so I can just borrow it