muffler shop, worth the money?

oandy1010

I can either spend 400 on exhaust for a name brand, or take my car to a muffler shop to weld me up an exhaust.. I currently have, don't laugh ;), stock headers, 2 catalytic converters with only half of the insides (they both broke so I took it out), a cherry bomb glass pack, and then it goes down. What little piping I have is pike, 1 inch :( I need to pass emissions so I was gonna take it to a muffler shop with a new cat and have them weld up some 2.5 inch pipe, and my cat, and either 1 or 2 glass packs with no muffler. Yes, iam an exhaust virgin still. Any ideas? Concerns, suggestions... Anything is welcome!

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What model civic do you have and how much cash? If your rolling with a stock D series and stock header 2.5in exhaust is overkill, all it'll do is make it hella loud and running no muffler will just make it even louder, unless you want to get pulled over everyday and u dont want to hear your music at all lol. Why not just search craigslist/junkyards for a cheap stock exhaust? Or take it to the muffler shop and get full 2.25in exhaust, a good resonator and a chambered muffler? Or just order 1 of the cheaper catbacks like a yonaka, theirs is a knockoff but a lot of members have it and like it.

oandy1010

MOits a 91 civic dx sedan with a b16a1, and iam pretty low on cash and time. My tag is expired so I have to pass emissions before I get pulled over :(

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
go with yonaka good price, quality, quiet and emission passable will bolt up to a stock cat

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
ok now that we know its a 91 yonaka doesnt make it for that gen. get a descent can a cat and a resonator if u dont want it to loud and have a shop weld it all together thats your best bet

oandy1010

Ahaa. I would hope so. But I just realized my tax return comes in next week! Should I still go muffler shop or buy an actual aftermarket maybe eBay? Anything cheap and emissions passable?

Trekk

Registered VIP
Bolt on's are the best bang for the buck if you need it. Exhaust shops can cost a crap load more, or be way cheaper.. Most crap shops do crush bends with crappy pipes it looks like s**t and won't last very long if you see snow. However if you just want sound its an ok deal. Good shops use stainless and mandrel bends but that can really blow the price way past a bolt on kit.

The exhaust on my muscle car alone, headers back is just over $2,500, but it will outlive me.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Bolt on's are the best bang for the buck if you need it. Exhaust shops can cost a crap load more, or be way cheaper.. Most crap shops do crush bends with crappy pipes it looks like s*** and won't last very long if you see snow. However if you just want sound its an ok deal. Good shops use stainless and mandrel bends but that can really blow the price way past a bolt on kit.

The exhaust on my muscle car alone, headers back is just over $2,500, but it will outlive me.
you got ripped off , mr braggerson. s**t should have been 500 tops, obviously your not smart enough to understand ass rape, or you just have plenty of money to piss in the wind

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
custom exhaust is the way to go.... f**k a over priced catback

Trekk

Registered VIP
LOL, yeah I got ripped off. You been in import world too long with all the cheap ass parts they sell. I'll break it down for you Headers $1013, mids $420, exhaust tips $200, mufflers $200, x-pipe $80, thats $1,913 add in about 15 foot of 3" SS pipe ($350ish), mandrel bends, hangers and labor. Self tune, $75 for dyno time +36WHP. More or less $70 per 1WHP.

The good thing is, pacesetter and OBX, sells stuff for the poor kids. If you dont mind them rusting out and the welds busting.

Anyways like I said above, exhaust shops can be cheaper, it just depends what you get and what you want it for. With a civic, if you arent really planning to go F/I its not really worth the money.

Last edited by a moderator:

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
LOL, yeah I got ripped off. You been in import world too long with all the cheap ass parts they sell. I'll break it down for you Headers $1013, mids $420, exhaust tips $200, mufflers $200, x-pipe $80, thats $1,913 add in about 15 foot of 3" SS pipe ($350ish), mandrel bends, hangers and labor. Self tune, $75 for dyno time +36WHP. More or less $70 per 1WHP.

The good thing is, pacesetter and OBX, sells stuff for the poor kids. If you dont mind them rusting out and the welds busting.

Anyways like I said above, exhaust shops can be cheaper, it just depends what you get and what you want it for. With a civic, if you arent really planning to go F/I its not really worth the money.
man iv been in every world . iv had a z28 camaro, and 2 5.0 mustangs, i think i know about muscle cars ;) and yes you got ripped the f**k off. my z28 had dynatech headers to custom pipe, to borla dual exhaust,

mustangs had ford motorsport headers, to xpipe to custom turn downs, all ss. and spent way less than you.

you sir have got ass raped .

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mustang's are cheap.. Z28 old car, LT1/LT4 parts are dirt cheap. Those ares were lucky to break into the 14's with full bolt ons. You really have no idea what you are talking about. lol

Step into the ls2-ls3 world and we will talk, about prices.
take a min and look up the parts i mentioned , YOU have not idea wtf you are lying about. bro you cant afford a paint job other than the s*** rattle can job you spent months on, much less this so called 2500 dollar exhaust, just stfu kiddo

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
and if you spent 2500 on that pos GTO thats parked in your grass, you are as dumb as you look. those cars are a f**king joke

Trekk

Registered VIP
haha, rattle can paint job? hahah. Again making yourself look like an idiot.