My '91 N/A Deuce

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I've been looking around to get into something else and finally found what I've always wanted. Crimson red 91 n/a mr2 (T-tops) 5 speed with 183xxx. Just picked her up last night, nearly mint and all original (T-tops don't even leak!). The only thing I wasn't too fond of was the cheap paint job on it, but that'll be fixed whenever I have extra money to throw into some decent paint. I would like to keep it all original, maybe add some OEM fogs and a few other TRD parts. On to the pix as it sits now, haven't washed it or anything. Enjoy!

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
People always say they want to keep it original...Deserves and good dump and gold wheels.

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol yea, but it's 100% original as it is (except for the sony headunit) and it handles like nothing else that i've ever driven. So i'm scared of changing the suspension. At most, I might put some HID's, a full exhaust, and a decent set of wheels on it but that'll be in the long run because the tires are brand new (unless I can get a tires in the same condition in a trade). Otherwise, I'm saving my money because I'm in school and have other priorities. It's comfortable as it is........

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why na? nice pick up hows the handling in that thing?

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Handling is awesome, like nothing I've driven before. The only thing that I think handles slightly better is it's predecessor, the AW11 (85-89) but I think that's just because of a shorter wheelbase. I was looking for N/A because I don't like the thought of dd'ing a turbo car. The maintenance is much more and there's more risk ofsomething going wrong. Besides, a turbo car would've costed twice as much in this condition. Nonetheless, the N/A is really, really fun to drive.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How much did you pick her up for? Looks great, I've been waiting for a clean MR2 to pop up around my area. Great car for a single guy haha

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It was posted on CL for 4200, I put up 3500 and got it. I guess it wasn't a "steal" but also wasn't bad at all considering the condition. Everything is immaculate except the paint (it looks cheap) but otherwise it's all there, clean and in perfect working order.....

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
nice havent seen one in person in years so to me its rare also nice find bro

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol yea, but it's 100% original as it is (except for the sony headunit) and it handles like nothing else that i've ever driven. So i'm scared of changing the suspension. At most, I might put some HID's, a full exhaust, and a decent set of wheels on it but that'll be in the long run because the tires are brand new (unless I can get a tires in the same condition in a trade). Otherwise, I'm saving my money because I'm in school and have other priorities. It's comfortable as it is........
That's what I said about my Prelude..then I joined another forum and saw all these sick nasty ludes running around and once again fell into the money pit of parts. If the car already handles great then it can only be increased unless you really mess something up. I'm buying coil overs, custom strut bars and larger diameter sway bars. I just want a solid and fun daily. Trust me dude...you'll change your mind. lol

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I believe you, at some point in time I'm going to want to do something to it. Unlike hondas, toyota parts aren't nearly as cheap or easy to come by. I wouldn't upgrade the suspension unless I was gonna go Koni/TRD combo. That in and of itself is a s**t ton of money and one of the only ways to "upgrade" the suspension. The TRD strut brace is like more than I'd like to spend on an X-tube of metal. It's easier to tell myself that I like the car how it is than to contemplate how I'm gonna spend the next few thousand on it lol. In the mean time, I'm just taking care of simple things, how I can get it to run more efficiently, cleaning it up, etc. I'll consider a lot more once I have money that I can just throw into it. Otherwise, it's honestly one of the reasons I was trying to stay out of another Honda. I knew that if I got one of these, I was just gonna leave it alone and not worry about putting a bunch of parts on it like I would if I got another civic...... And besides, there's only a few of these running around in my area. I'm blessed to be one of them. :lol:

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I dont know HOW I missed this thread.... I f**king LOVE second gen MR2's and would LOVE to get my hands on one of them someday. I would definitely be satisfied with keeping it stock as well. Definitely a good pickup man :thumbs up:

Road Pirate

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^
X2! I love these things. I drove my friends turbo'd one last year, s**t was stupid fun. It was red also, you will be happy if you lower it a bit then get some wheels in your future. Have fun with this project! :thumbup:

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I dont know HOW I missed this thread.... I f**king LOVE second gen MR2's and would LOVE to get my hands on one of them someday. I would definitely be satisfied with keeping it stock as well. Definitely a good pickup man :thumbs up:
Thanx man, you won't regret it if you get one.

^
X2! I love these things. I drove my friends turbo'd one last year, s**t was stupid fun. It was red also, you will be happy if you lower it a bit then get some wheels in your future. Have fun with this project! :thumbup:
Ehh, not much of a project. At least not yet, maybe when I get enough money to make it a project. I've never driven the turbo model, but I'm sure I'd love to. My neighbor has a turbo model as his project, it's not finished yet but I can't wait until it is.

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Update:

So far since I bought it, I have:

Changed the oil (mobil1 full synthetic)
Spark plugs (NGK iridiums)
dizzy cap, rotor, plug wires (NGK)

Soon going to change the trans fluid with redline 90 and shockproof.....

Drives great so far, trying to keep it that way and get the most out of it.

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just a few pics that I took recently with my blackberry. Haven't really done much to it, just thought I'd post.