My 95 Civic Coupe.

motorking

5+ Year Member
filters

So a funny thing happened today. I changed my oil and failed to notice that the gasket on the old filter had remained behind, and I stuck the new filter on top of it. I dripped oil all the way down the highway until the car started smoking and the oil light came on. That was fun. I had to crawl underneath, but I did figure out the problem and now, another 3.5 quarts of oil and a bunch of wasted time later, I seem to be OK. Really took a dent outta my day though. I learned two things from this experience.

One: When changing your oil, always check the old filter before installing the new one.

Two: Fram oil filters suck. They may work alright, I don't know, but I checked out a couple new ones to make sure that I was right about what the problem was, and those gaskets pop right off. They're very loose. I don't know if I trust that.

Hello,
I am the technical manager for FRAM. What happened to you has happened at least once to anyone who ever changes thier own oil. The old "O" ring sticks to the block from heat. You always need to make sure it is not stuck on the block when removing the old filter. And, no FRAM filters do not "suck", they filter oil at 96% efficiency, in fact, they are original equipment on factory Honda's. Look at the blue honda filter, its made by Honeywell, parent company of FRAM and is nearly identical to our Tough Guard filter inside. I am happy to answer and filtration, spak plug and ignition or coolant/cooling system questions you may have. Have a great day

Naught260

5+ Year Member
[/B]

Hello,
I am the technical manager for FRAM. What happened to you has happened at least once to anyone who ever changes thier own oil. The old "O" ring sticks to the block from heat. You always need to make sure it is not stuck on the block when removing the old filter. And, no FRAM filters do not "suck", they filter oil at 96% efficiency, in fact, they are original equipment on factory Honda's. Look at the blue honda filter, its made by Honeywell, parent company of FRAM and is nearly identical to our Tough Guard filter inside. I am happy to answer and filtration, spak plug and ignition or coolant/cooling system questions you may have. Have a great day

Oh wow owned :P

Like I said, they might work ok, but those rings don't stay on. They came right off in the store, too. I don't need that extra liability. I'm absent-minded enough as it is.

19ef90

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice clean start. =)

and i dig the center caps, my 93 DX coupe came with them, and i always wanted some on my 90 hatch.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
definitely a clean start man. I think that thing has a lot of potential.

Naught260

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. And if anyone's got a pic of this EX lip to post up, feel free!

Naught260

5+ Year Member
It's been a while since my last update. I had spare time this morning for once, so I gave her a wash and wax. Figured I'd shoot a few pictures while I was at it.

Needs a bit of body massaging. That's one of those things that's going to have to wait, since I don't know how to do it myself.

So I have done a couple mods, contrary to how it might look. The exhaust ended up having to be replaced front to back.

I started with a new Magnaflow system. Since it's been on the car through 3 blizzards now, it definitely doesn't look new anymore. Any advice on cleaning it up?

Yes the muffler is melting the rubber trim under the bumper. Not much I can do but cut some material out. Don't have access to a saw at the moment though.

See if you can figure out what's different about my engine bay...

If you look real close, you can see the header going into the Magnaflow cat.

Naught260

5+ Year Member
More shots. This is the last, I swear

What the hell? Who did this crappy wax job? (Oh wait it was me)

Fixed

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
congrats on the new purchase looks like you a clean ride you got there

Naught260

5+ Year Member
Not exactly a "new" purchase. I've had the car about a year now.

Posting those pics yesterday inspired me to do more work today.

If anyone hadn't noticed, the car's leaking oil. It seems like it's coming from the distributor o-ring and VTEC solenoid gaskets so... I ordered new ones from Honda

And since I had another morning free, I put them on today.

You can see the oil collecting around the header right here.

And under the distributor. Really, it's all over the place, but these are the two shots I took.

I did the VTEC solenoid first. I'm a little unsure whether this was actually leaking anything. I don't see any oil slipping out. I ended up having to pry it up with a screwdriver. It was stuck on there tight.

The old gasket next to the new one. Leaking or not, the old one was pretty stiff. Glad I got around to replacing it.

New one packed in where it belongs. I didn't use anything to seal it. Should I?

On to the distributor. I went to make a timing mark for alignment, and I found these previous marks off-center. Could this be why my timing was messed up when I bought the car?

New timing mark with a sharpie.

Old o-ring next to new one. Just like the VTEC gasket, the old o-ring was very stiff and dry compared to the new one.

Finally, I wiped up the oil around and under the distributor and o-ring. If it stays clean, I should be good to go (Unless the leak is coming from somewhere else)

All done!

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When i had mine it didnt have the front lip either. It looks like you have a pretty clean slate to work with. GL!