My 96 Civic LX Sedan

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hi guys, I bought a 96 Civic LX sedan for $2100 from a shady guy in a parking lot on 1/1/11, I brought this car home knowing the engine was great, the tranny shifted smooth & ac/heat work, needed lots of TLC inside & out, my wife was not happy with my purchase, she came out to look at it & 10 seconds later she walked back inside, mad. I told her that my buddy & I were going to get the parts we needed from a junkyard & start working on it the following weekend.

The car needed...
rear passenger inside door handle (missing)
rear passenger window regulator/motor (missing with 2x4 holding up window)
center console plugs
headliner (badly ripped)
driver & passenger door harnesses (broken wires in both)
trunk was missing 2 bolts & was hunter green (the car is black)
no power/cigarette outlet (missing)
steering wheel was loose (tightend the nut fixed it)
passenger key hole busted
no key for trunk
no spare, jack, lug wrench or wheel lock key (air chiseled the old ones off & put new ones on)
valve cover was leaking
window tint was purple looking, faded & wrinkled
had a tow hitch & trailer light kit
lots of dents & dings
passenger side head lamp has moisture in it
missing bolts the hold the ac condenser in place
Piece in between the rear tail light & bumper was bent beyond repair
2 new tires for the rear (front were new but rears were bald as hell)

Here is the only before pic I have

There might be a few small things I am forgetting but here are some pics, I didn't take before pics but here are some I took after I did a few small things plus some dent pics.

New grill installed

Dents & dings

Moisture in the head lamp

OK this is what it looks like now but I plan on getting body work done & paint by summer hopfully, I will post more pics of the interior & engine sometime in the next couple of days when I get some time.

Things that are done...
removed the tow hitch & trailer light kit
replaced passenger front door handle with a rear one (no lock), only one key lock to enter vehicle
replaced driver & rear passenger regulator/motors
replaced both door floor harnesses (now all the windows, speakers & locks work)
replaced valve cover gasket
replaced lower intake air box (the old one was cracked & missing the snap clips)
replaced fuse box cover
replaced power/cigarette outlet
replaced both pieces in between rear bumper & tail lights
rattle can black on the trunk (not a good job, just wanted it black)
replaced dome light & got it to work with the door switches
replaced front calipers, rotors & brakes
replaced two rear tires
replaced spare tire, jack, lug wrench & lock nuts with key
removed all old window tint & rear defrost still works (used a soap/water solution on the residue)
recovered the headliner (mobile guy did it for me for $60 & gave me extra fabric for the visors)
recovered sun visors (did it myself)

It's still a work in progress but I like working on it & it's been fun so far, I will try to post often or as often as I get stuff done.

Last edited:

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
BTW, the wife's starting to come around & kinda likes the things I have done to it, she see's improvement. =)

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like it needs some work and it looks like your heading in the right direction. Nice job on the visor. You able to post some pics of how you did it. I need to do mine but i don't know how to get it tucked in like that.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
needs oe headlights

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea I know about the lights Kensai but out of money at the moment, that is what I'm looking for in the near future, @ AllStockHatch, I'm waiting on a friend of mine to bring me my extra passenger side visor so I can post a tutorial on recovering a sun visor, I will post progress pics as well.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Here are some update pics...

Sun visors installed

Interior pics

Backseat with my son's new carseat

Grill up close

Custom trunk inlay

Wait on a new steam cleaner so I can go over the entire interior & get up any spots, mostly the carpet.

CivicxTree754

Registered VIP
Like'n the direction your going. I hate those muscle car rims. I love chrome but those things dont fit the civic well. Im sure you could get some steelies on there n sell those rims n get some nicer lightweight rims. 17s prolly look best. IMO.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Like'n the direction your going. I hate those muscle car rims. I love chrome but those things dont fit the civic well. Im sure you could get some steelies on there n sell those rims n get some nicer lightweight rims. 17s prolly look best. IMO.
Thanks man, I'm just waiting on a friend who is rebuilding his 95 civic so I can have his steelies & ride on those till I get something I want, these are 17's & that's what I'm going to replace them with just something more my style.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well the plan this weekend is to find out why I have a power issue with my radio, I posted in another thread about the issue but no one seems to know whats wrong, after searching online to find other issues that have nothing to do with mine so I am going to check the ignition switch wiring, check behind the dash for any lose or broken wires, check the harness behind the intake manifold for issues, the only other thing to do is maybe upgrade the big "3" wires & see if that helps, here is the link to the other thread.

Radio turns off then on, need help!!

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea I'm working on the rim situation,looking around on CL to see whats available, my tires are new, I'm gonna transfer them over, thats the reason for the 17's.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could do trade for rims with tires that are pretty new. i see them daily

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a warranty on there tires so I kinda want to keep them for now.

emerican

Registered VIP
Looking good man a hell of improvement to me 2100 was kind of high with that much stuff wrong with it, but glad your saving it and i agree with everybody on the rims i know your looking so update us when you find some.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's a great platform but I don't think I would have paid anywhere near that for that condition.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea, I know I paid way too much but it purs like a kitten & the tranny shifts smooth for an automatic, everything else seemed cosmetic to me & I feel like it's 60% in the right direction, just ordered new headlights, they are OEM, got them for $58.00 with free shipping for the pair, not bad, now need to get the bulbs for them before they get here, gonna fix the old ones & resell them on CL to make some money back.