My 97' Coupe Project/DD

iCivic

EJ8 in the making...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This is my 97' Civic coupe, bought it mid december, part that sucks is that i paid a lil more than i should've but i had looked for a 96-00 civic coupe for quite a while never finding one so i jumped on this one and after i got it i saw a ton cheap in better shape in Kansas City for sale....anyways....info on the car...

1997 Civic Coupe EX
PW/PL, A/C, ect.
Salvaged Title
136k mileage
1.6l SOHC D16y8 engine
Manual
on wreck airbags had been deployed

these pics are almost EXACTLY how i got it except one thing, it came with the stock 96-98 tail lights which have the amber in them, i took these 99-00 red/clears off the car i had before this one.....

the front end was zip tied on cuz they tried to cram on 99-00 headlights which don't fit the 96-98....car has some light hail damage along with a couple nice dents and a spot of rust which i have no clue how it happened?, grill had a screw in it when i got it!? along with the interior climate bezel had a screw in it lol...tires were BALD on it when i got it as you can tell in the pic where you can see the tire, car was lowered on skunk2 springs (i'm told) rides pretty well...

pics continued to next post...

iCivic

EJ8 in the making...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

then onto problems already lol...upon gettin the car i bought/did...

Oil Change
Bosch Plug wires
Bosch spark plugs
99-00 Front end (fenders, hood, bumper)
Black housing OEM style headlights
Mugen front lip
Type R style grill w/ "Coupe" badge in it

problem arose that the wreck the car had been in bent the radiator core support down and made it impossible for me to connect the bumper and headlights properly....i will now have to get a new 99-00 core support and reinforcement...so for now it's just zip tied on lol

more problems?! of course, problems stalk me lol....went to change the struts and a bolt that was seized in the control arm bushing the head snapped...

pwn'd by old rusty bolt!

so now i have to cut the control arm off at the bushings and get new LCAs....

but GOOD news lol....

bought some fat fives from a guy on here, they were pretty rough and painted some ugly color or primer or something..so i stripped, sanded, and polished them, i had before pics of how they looked but accidently deleted them off the camera...

after stripping, sanding, polishing...

now after sanding the insides of the "spokes" and the inside of the lug holes and painting them black then clear coating the whole wheel...

iCivic

EJ8 in the making...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so since....including the stuff i did right when i got the car....

i replaced the steering wheel with another OEM one but w/ the airbag, diff. shift knob, painted the windshield wiper arms back to black....and in came the NEW TIRES!!! yay!!! lol...205/50/15 Nitto NeoGens...

and here's how the car sits right now....as of 2/20/07

sorry the car's dirty in the pics, just walked outside and took them just now and uploaded them....

immediate future plans, new Blox LCAs, Blox front camber kit....and pretty sure i'm gonna take off the EX spoiler

then when i start a new job i'm gonna cut off that core support and weld on a new one, then line it all up right and get the body work done and the car repainted the factory color....

as far as engine i'm still tossing back and forth in my head, originally was gonna just boost the SOHC d-series but i'm thinkin about just gettin a b16 jdm full swap and boostin that later on down the road

daboyu978

Banned
u better get the screw out that broke on the control arm, watch out hitting big bumps or else s**t will break off half the other side of screw and den u'll need the whole new control arm

when u take stuff off like dat, u should look both side, if only one side spins and the other doesnt, its gonna snap. both side spins, den its comin off

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks good. seems to be a gap between the fender and bumper. fix that and get a short shifter. it looks great tho. i just missed out on getting some fat fives. i'm jealous.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sorry to hear youre doing so much work on a car you just bought...i learn from my first civic that its not good to buy cars on impulse...i ended up buying a mod civic for 2500...i was unaware it needed about 3k in frame repairs...ended up selling it though for a bit more to someone who didnt really care cause they also wanted a civic bad. oh well. but good luck with hit and its starting to look good...but i suggest before spending more money on all those unnecessary mods....repaint it.

iCivic

EJ8 in the making...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
unr8ed06 said:
looks good. seems to be a gap between the fender and bumper. fix that and get a short shifter. it looks great tho. i just missed out on getting some fat fives. i'm jealous.
yea, in the post i said that's cuz the bumper and grill are held on by zip ties, cuz i have to put a new radiator core support due to the other one being messed up from an accident the previous owner was in....oh and the fat fives were kinda my last option, just ran into someone who had some in bad shape and got them for super cheap, put like 15 hours into them and they look pretty damn nice now

and yea Astheros, agreed i need to do the paint and body, problem is it's expensive to get it done right, my mods i did so far were mainly maintenance and a few small things for looks....

it's a work in progress but it'll be nice whenever i get back to working and have money to put into it

mitcheg6

Deanh22
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well done- i see good progress. The car is turning in a good direction. Definately keep us posted- it is coming together real nice man. it is starting to be a nice looking car

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
not bad bro...you're gettin' there....:thumbs up

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
nice progress but that shift knob looks silly on that long shiter, next get the body work done...then after that is up in the air

iCivic

EJ8 in the making...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
slammed98hatch said:
that is a niceeeeeeeee steerling wheel you got there. =)
lol like that do ya? i'm actuing now considering getting an aftermarket one, argh!!

thanks for all the positive feed and hopefully i can turn this thing into a beast :cool:

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I like it man.. I really like the idea of painting the inside of the wheels black..
Can you possibly get more pics? like at an angle so I can see a little more behind the spokes?

jdm98coupe

JDM H22A with LSD
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it looks good man. only thing i recomend is changing your spark plugs and wires, bosch isnt very good for honda/acuras. get MSD wires and NGK spark plugs. but thats just what iu recomend. but other than that your cars lookin good.