My A/C is clicking lol

autoX

So im aware that the A/C does make some clicking noises when it turns on, thats normal........but as i come to a stop and rpms go down it starts clicking rapidly for about 4 sec. ??? A/C is still cold and works, but it just started doing this recently.....any idea what it might be? I know its the compressor, cause it doesnt make the noise when the A/C is off.

RonJ

Banned
Open the hood and pinpoint the source of the noise. Post pictures of where the sound is coming from.

autoX

it only happens when driving......and i already know its coming from the compressor, just dont know why

RonJ

Banned
as i come to a stop and rpms go down it starts clicking rapidly for about 4 sec.
it only happens when driving......and i already know its coming from the compressor,

How do you know the sound comes from the compressor? This doesn't sound like an A/C problem if it only happens when the car is moving.

Slow y Low

5+ Year Member
A few months after mine starting doing that it literally blew up. Did you just recharge the system? Did you use the right kind of refridgerant? Maybe pressure is escaping and it's trying to compensate? Like ron said isolate the sound source.

Slow y Low

5+ Year Member
Ron J you have helped me out so much with your responses alone. Just wanted to let you know. Thanks again.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This happens to mine when idling as well and my auto teacher said it was either one of the A/C switches that wasn't catching the idle.

autoX

i know its the compressor, i can hear it coming from the driver side of the engine compartment, and it only happens when the A/C is running, if i turn it off, no noise.....it hasnt recently been charged, although....could it posdsibly be because it is low on freon?.....but the ac is running fine, very cold.....who knows

Slow y Low

5+ Year Member
Maybe the pressure isn't circulating properly? That same clicking sound was happening to me. The system was charged with that autozone refrigerant. It blew really cold, but when I was just idling it would *click* *click* and the rpms would fluctuate (still blew cold air out). One day while I was driving on the freeway I had it on for a good 30-45 mins...when all of a sudden the compressor literally burst. It sprayed refrigerant/oil? all over my headers creating a giant plume of grey/black smoke in my wake. Don't let this happen to you.

Slow y Low

5+ Year Member
It was. A million thoughts were going through my head when it happened. "did my motor just blow up?!?!, where the HELL is this smoke coming from?!?!, WTF!?!?" just to name a few, lol. I pulled over to check and was slightly relieved to see it was only the compressor. Some people even yelled sh*t at me just to be asshats. What's funny is I passed them on the freeway a few mins later! Bwwwwwwaaaaaaaappppppop is all they heard after that. I'll post a pic of my compressor later tomorrow to show you the after math.

emerican

Registered VIP
pm me the pics or post them in one of your threads.
Lets get this one back on topic for the op idk much about ac systems to be honest what would be need to check to make sure it is circulating.

RonJ

Banned
i know its the compressor, i can hear it coming from the driver side of the engine compartment, and it only happens when the A/C is running, if i turn it off, no noise.....it hasnt recently been charged, although....could it posdsibly be because it is low on freon?.....but the ac is running fine, very cold.....who knows
When the compressor clutch is engaged, does the condenser fan run?