My AutoX '95 EX

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My '95 EX with 211k miles on all original motor that I still beat on over the weekends... Car is prepped for SCCA Solo Street Touring class. Have taken a few championship titles over various clubs in my region over the years(listed in my sig). Sponsored by www.karcepts.com and www.racedayvinyl.com. Will either do a full overhaul of the current motor or swap in a fresh motor soon to try and stay competitive since this motor is weak... Ran it on the dyno(Dyno Dynamics) last month and it pulled 93whp and 79wtq with just I/H/E. Adjusted it would make around 108whp and 92wtq on a Dynojet... I need to make around 120whp on the stock motor to be competitive against National champions in my class. Also in case anyone may be wondering about their own cars weight, I had the car weight last summer in full race trim(full interior, original D16(minus A/C), 1/4 tank of gas, no one in it and a few lbs savings here and there) and it came in at 2234lbs.

Anyways, pics...

here it is: 2234lbs. The corner weights are off do disregard them.

And some non-racing related pics I just recently took because I don't have any recent ones lol. Decided to get my daily driver in there too since I don't have any good shots of it either. The gold wheels are my street wheel/tire setup.

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pretty cool bro, your DD has 4x4 tires...

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Pretty cool bro, your DD has 4x4 tires...
Thanks and I personally like the meaty tire on my DD. They're 195/65R14 Falken Ziex 512s, handles great and has more than enough grip for the streets. I think my liking for big tires has something to do with the tires I ran on my RallyX ACR Neon lol.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pretty sick bro, u should get some vids up on youtube and give us links. I'd love to see that car in action

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
pretty sick bro, u should get some vids up on youtube and give us links. I'd love to see that car in action
I have tons.. here just a few from last season.

First event last year I instructed at a Novice school. Was raining and you can see how tail happy my car is if I'm not careful or just having fun lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFGKHa4CUR0
First time I've ever ran on a 3rd gear course, even though using 3rd hurt more than helped..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r59wVd9Fp8
Northeast Divisional last yeat. Took 2nd place in class.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAOM5s3AT7M
WDCR Pro Solo Event. It's a combination of drag racing and autox. You start with a drag race with a tree for a short straight away and then run through the autox course. You race against the person next to you which is running on a course exactly the same as yours and try to finish first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u8IbOAPt7Q
Multiple views for each run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ST0CYkliE

Hey!! its lilrob410 from mdss =) nice car homie!
Hey! thanks man.

That car looks fun as hell.
It is. Not enough power of course but it handles like a dream. A guy rode with me at the last autox event of the season and told me he was amazed at how much grip and corner speed I had especially for running on street tires. He really sounded shocked lol.

Lovin the 3 wheelin action!

Whats your suspension set up?
Custom valved Koni's with shortened shafts, Ground-Control coilovers with 650in/lb front and 800in/lb rear springs(about 11.5k/14k), Ground-Control extended top hats all around, 22mm ITR rear swaybar, Beaks subframe brace/tie bar, Function7 rear LCA's, Function7 Adjustable endlinks, Energy Suspension front LCA bushings, Energy Suspension front swaybar endlinks, Energy Suspension rack/pinion bushings, front/rear upper strut bars, front low tie bar, Powerslot slotted front rotors, Hawk HP brake pads, Goodrich stainless brake lines all around, 15x7 Falken Hanabi wheels with 205/50R15 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's on them. I think that's it...

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Some new pics from this year... Nothing new for the car. Raced it for the beginning of the season a bit. Now I'm racing a friends '91 Civic Si in the same class. Has pretty much all the same mods done but it's faster since it's about 100lbs lighter and shorter wheelbase.

With my sponsors K24 Civic monster

And the new car I'm racing

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks!

One more I forgot that was taken just this past weekend at an open house for a Porsche/BMW race shop.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is by far one of my favorite looking eg coupes.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

krooked32

thats awesome man! nice looking car and it looks like a hell of a good time. gotta love the 3 wheel action lol

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats awesome man. you by chance on vadriven.com?

also what advice would you have for someone looking to get into autox?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks everyone!

thats awesome man. you by chance on vadriven.com?

also what advice would you have for someone looking to get into autox?
Nah not on vadriven. I live in central MD, I'm never in VA.

If you want to get into autox, it's very simple. Go! Look up some clubs in your area. SCCA, Porsche Club, Corvette Club, Mazda Club, BMW Club, and even some other non-brand specific smaller clubs. All of these clubs allow non-members and non-"brand name here" cars to run. You do NOT need to set your car up, have all this suspension or mods. In fact, that will likely hurt you than help you if you're a beginner. So, basically just go and run, learn and have fun throwing your car around. Just make sure your car is in good runnin condition and safe. Every club has similar tech inspection rules. Basically, just clean your car/trunk of all loose items including floor mats. Tq all your lug nuts. Tires have tread. Motor runs atleast semi-well and doesn't leak too much of any fluids. That's the basic safety stuff. The rest depends on the club. Most clubs have free loaner helmets, just return them when you're done.

So yeah, go out and have fun! I'll warn ya, it's addicting as hell.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
God seeing ur sig a while back is the first thing that made me want to get into autox. Still havent gotten into it yet, wanna get my cams in and car tuned first along with the whole school thing being a pain, but jeez seeing ur car and pics just looks sooo awesome haha.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
God seeing ur sig a while back is the first thing that made me want to get into autox. Still havent gotten into it yet, wanna get my cams in and car tuned first along with the whole school thing being a pain, but jeez seeing ur car and pics just looks sooo awesome haha.
haha wow thanks. Well, get out there asap!

I can't believe I forgot one very important thing I did to this car that was not long after my first post in this thread... New(ish) motor! In that post I said "Will either do a full overhaul of the current motor or swap in a fresh motor soon to try and stay competitive since this motor is weak". Well, not too long after that post I got VERY lucky and found a great deal on a complete D16Z6 with 5 speed trans, exhaust manifold, axles, ecu, and wire harness. Picked it all up for $550! I ended up selling the trans, axles, wire harness and ECU so technically I bought the motor for about $170 all said and done. The previous owner was about the best seller I've ever come across and might ever come across. He was able to hook the motor up to a starter and turn the motor for me(it was not in a car). He was extremely honest and told me everything he could. He let me do a compression test and leak down test on the motor before I bought it. He even brought it down to me and I live about an hour away from him. Guy was awesome. All I did was replace the main seals, timing belt, spark plugs/wires, and a few other little things. Swapped the motor and it fired up INSTANTLY. Put the car on a dyno not long after the new motor was installed and results were great. Couldn't have been any more happier with this purchase!

Motor at the sellers house. Cranking it over to do some tests on it.

Replaced timing belt, water pump, main seal, valve cover gasket, etc.. It was clean inside and out.

My old, all original motor coming out. This was very bittersweet. I know this motor had MANY more miles left on it. BUT, I wanted a solid motor for racing. Unfortunate because I really wanted to see how many more years I could have gotten with this motor...

My old motor and only just SOME of the award magnets I've won with it. Again, very bittersweet for me.

211,050 miles on my original motor when I pulled it out... wrote it on the valve cover so I won't forget.

And here are the dyno results. I gained a max of 3whp and max of 3wtq so that brought it up to 96whp and 82wtq. However, the most noticeable gain was at 2400rpm, there is a 6wtq gain. At 3200 and 3400rpm there is a 4wtq gain. Doesn't sound like much, but to an experienced driver and out on course, it's huge.

^Lower lines are the dyno results from my old motor.

Vid on the dyno with new motor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoalp-xAVM

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Old thread I know but I have a few questions.

Im looking into getting some auto x runs before I get rid of my Civic. It has a strong D16Y7 in it all stock besides intake, whats the most I could "mod" before I get bumped up a class? I want to get a full exhaust and header.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Old thread I know but I have a few questions.

Im looking into getting some auto x runs before I get rid of my Civic. It has a strong D16Y7 in it all stock besides intake, whats the most I could "mod" before I get bumped up a class? I want to get a full exhaust and header.
It really depends on what club you AutoX with since every club has different rules. For example, SCCA Stock rules allow race tires, aftermarket shocks, aftermarket front swaybar, intake filter, and catback exhaust. Not really stock right? lol. Whereas my local BMW AutoX club's rules for stock is pretty much just that, off the showroom stock (except for slightly upgraded tires but there's limitations on that as well).

If you're running with an SCCA region, the intake that you have bumps you to Street Touring (ST). Which is open to original motor with I/H/E/ECU/Pulleys, full suspension and street tires (140+ wear rating) that are no wider than 225, body has to remain original (no carbon fiber parts like hood). My car falls under this class.

If you do any more motor work, even a throttle body, you will get bumped into a much faster class which allows motor swaps, race tires, body work (cf parts, fender flairs for wide tires, etc..).

I will say though, if you're interested in trying it out and it's your first time, don't worry about the classing and just run your car. There's a very good chance you'll get beat pretty badly by others in your class regardless of how "setup" your car is. Just go out and have fun.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I love the people I race with... Buddy of mine just gave me a Sparco seat for FREE =)

Don't know when I'll put it in. Need to get a rail/slider for it first.