My Civic Progress thread

SOHC1.6GUY

Very nice sedan, you should look into some window visors they would go well with you car while not costing more than $50
Where do i find good looking ones? All the ones ive seen stick to the frame. I was hoping to find ones that go inside the frame. It would look all lot cleaner that way. Something else, my hood took quite a beating this winter from the salt, and there are many small rust spots all over the leading edge. Clear coat is also pealing off making it look even more junky. So Im gonna be looking at a carbon fiber hood as it wont rust and wll most likely look good all the time. What do you guys think? Too ricey?

emerican

Registered VIP
I have only seen cf trunks on a few cars, but on the ones i have seen in person they look decent. the one i saw that i loved was paint matched to the car. That same car had cf hood paint matched dont see to many people that paint them i though it was pretty cool.

SOHC1.6GUY

Hey guys sorry for being away for so long. I have been busy with my son. Still driving the civic. The Greddy spectrum elite cat back is buzzing. Its coming from the resinator and it happens about 3K RPM or when I am trying to accelerate. Also the lower torque mount on the driverside ripped. Are urithane engine mounts good or bad to help remidy this? And what would you guys suggest on the exaust noise issue. Again sorry I have been away.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Hey guys sorry for being away for so long. I have been busy with my son. Still driving the civic. The Greddy spectrum elite cat back is buzzing. Its coming from the resinator and it happens about 3K RPM or when I am trying to accelerate. Also the lower torque mount on the driverside ripped. Are urithane engine mounts good or bad to help remidy this? And what would you guys suggest on the exaust noise issue. Again sorry I have been away.
You'd have to pinpoint exactly what's loose and causing the sound, could be as simple as a bolt that needs a good tightening. If it's internal, I would think you're only option is to get the section cut out and replaced. I've heard good things about poly urethane motor mounts. Hasport makes some a good set, that's what I was looking at for mine

SOHC1.6GUY

You'd have to pinpoint exactly what's loose and causing the sound, could be as simple as a bolt that needs a good tightening. If it's internal, I would think you're only option is to get the section cut out and replaced. I've heard good things about poly urethane motor mounts. Hasport makes some a good set, that's what I was looking at for mine

what about those urithane inserts?

SOHC1.6GUY

So I went ahead and ordered those energysuspension motor mount inserts. My lower motor mount that the A/C belt goes around was all torn up so I replaced it and figured I would order these to strengthen them up. I know there isnt alot for an automatic and I will be swapping to a 5 speed. But what other things can i do to get this a bit more peppy. Ive dont a short ram intake, full exaust which Im trying to find a buzzing/rattling noise atm. Would an aftermarket ignition be good (MSD coil plug wires, and MSD cap)? Maybe an intake manifold? I know a cam would help. I also do not know where to have this thing tuned?

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice build so far. Are those black-housing headlights home made? I wouldn't buy a performance ignition unless you are also planning on upgrading your fuel injection. Remember, your engine is only as good as your weakest link. You may even be running lean already because you have upgraded your exhaust and intake. It is not bad to upgrade your ignition, but just don't expect massive power gains.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks good! The sedans can have all kinds of issues, my wiring harnesses were bad in both my front doors so that was a nightmare to fix, diagnosing that my ELD was bad took longer than I thought it would, but all is well now, glwb!

SOHC1.6GUY

Nice build so far. Are those black-housing headlights home made? I wouldn't buy a performance ignition unless you are also planning on upgrading your fuel injection. Remember, your engine is only as good as your weakest link. You may even be running lean already because you have upgraded your exhaust and intake. It is not bad to upgrade your ignition, but just don't expect massive power gains.
Oh im not expecting big gains. I also know that to get more fuel you need a tune. So far it seems alot of the tunes are obd1. I have not seen much about obd2 tuning?

What sort of wiring issues?

SOHC1.6GUY

is it normal from a dead stop for the automatic civic to act like or accelerate like they are being held back? Ive been noticing it REALLY bogs if Im flooring it from a dead stop. I realize it is an auto and the auto sucks but it just does not want to move at all.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
is it normal from a dead stop for the automatic civic to act like or accelerate like they are being held back? Ive been noticing it REALLY bogs if Im flooring it from a dead stop. I realize it is an auto and the auto sucks but it just does not want to move at all.
My auto is real responsive, it bogs a bit with the ac on but that's it, might need to check out the tranny to see if everything is ok.

SOHC1.6GUY

My auto is real responsive, it bogs a bit with the ac on but that's it, might need to check out the tranny to see if everything is ok.
Im not sure what to check. Other then fluid which seems to be ok from what i can tell. What happens is when I start out and it shifts to second, and i have to let off a bit It will bog big time like someone is dragging thier feet out the door and it wont even down shift from second back to first of anything. Its almost like it looses its power after it shifts to second and then get back on the gas.

SOHC1.6GUY

Ill check the timing, Idle will occasionally be around 600-800 rpm, not sure what is normal for these 4 cyld's What will timing need to be?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The OEM ignition can handle more than you think. People boost on OEM ignition. OBD1 is much easier to tune since emission laws are less strict...less sensors and crap.

What are you your future plans for the car? Swap? Boost? Nitrous? I was going to say a lightened flywheel and stage 1 clutch would be an awesome little upgrade. Or even like an Exedy OE clutch (grabs slightly harder than OEM). The engine revs faster with the lightened flywheel. You could always lower it and put on a rear sway bar. These cars are great because they're so light. Some nice 600-700 spring rates and a 19-22 rear sway bar will make it handle awesome. And don't forget some nice grippy tires.

If it's bogging, it could be a wide variety of issues. How many miles are on the car? When was the last time a tune-up was performed? You may need a tune-up. I run fuel injector cleaner every 3-5000 as well.

I say paint the lip and get an OEM Si grill and get that paint matched. I used to have a Type R style grill and an OEM Si grill looks so much better.

SOHC1.6GUY

The OEM ignition can handle more than you think. People boost on OEM ignition. OBD1 is much easier to tune since emission laws are less strict...less sensors and crap.

What are you your future plans for the car? Swap? Boost? Nitrous? I was going to say a lightened flywheel and stage 1 clutch would be an awesome little upgrade. Or even like an Exedy OE clutch (grabs slightly harder than OEM). The engine revs faster with the lightened flywheel. You could always lower it and put on a rear sway bar. These cars are great because they're so light. Some nice 600-700 spring rates and a 19-22 rear sway bar will make it handle awesome. And don't forget some nice grippy tires.

If it's bogging, it could be a wide variety of issues. How many miles are on the car? When was the last time a tune-up was performed? You may need a tune-up. I run fuel injector cleaner every 3-5000 as well.

I say paint the lip and get an OEM Si grill and get that paint matched. I used to have a Type R style grill and an OEM Si grill looks so much better.
Well John lets see, swap-wise, Ill be swapping to a manual trans. Though I may also swap to a B16 as well. But for the now Im chuckin this automatic. This automatic is just crapping out on me as we speak. I already installed the clutch and brake pedals mostly because I had them and apparently they were in the way. So the best way i could think of to move them was to install them. Besides that that is supposed to be the hardest part from what I hear. Im not planning to boost or nitrous. Just make it a bit quicker then it already is. For the exhaust i have a DCsports header, high flow cat, and a greddy spectrul elite cat back system.

I am concidering the Tein lowering springs, I already have a 24mm rear sway bar from ASR as well as the rear brace. I Im also running front and rear strut bars from Skunk. I also would like to upgrade the front sway bar as well. It is a daily driver so i cant get too wild with mods. But I think the sedan could be a cool baby getter :P

As for tune up, Ive done air filter, plug wires and plugs. I havnt changed the fuel filter yet. But the thought has crossed my mind.

SOHC1.6GUY

Ive been looking high and low for the 99-00 manual trans engine harness and Im not having much luck. Is it normal for things like this to be hard to find?

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ive been looking high and low for the 99-00 manual trans engine harness and Im not having much luck. Is it normal for things like this to be hard to find?
Well depends on your area & available junkyards you have, try majestic Honda, call them & give them the info on your car & what your looking for, they would surely have it.