My clutch is dead

CanyonCoolMan

I need to know If there is an easy way to adjust or replace the clutch. And if that's not possible how much do you think it will cost?

Here is a nice long story about what happened

So I was driving around in the snow just practicing and I had the heater running. After about 5 minutes this horrible smell started to fill the car. So I just opened the door and let it air out for a minute and turned off the heater and kept going. After about 30 minutes I wanted to go driving some where else and not on a loop so I went around and started noticing the smell without the heater running and having to release the clutch farther to get the car moving. I decided to start heading back. This kept getting worse and worse. As I was going up the final hill I had to add about 5k RPM just to keep the car at about 5mph with the clutch all the way out. My grandpa took over and managed to get it part in the drive way where it finally died. R.I.P.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
12/15/15 never forget......

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Clutch replacement is a driveway job on these cars. Allocate a weekend and you should be ok. Just have 2 jacks on hand, it makes it much easier to raise and lower the transmission and motor independently.

daperez13

Respected
CanyonCoolMan,

Learning to drive is pretty exciting, especially when you have grandpa watching your every move...well, better than hysterical mom at least. I'm guessing that you probably burned out your clutch. hence that "horrible smell". Given that the car has close to 200k miles on it, it's no surprise that the clutch would eventually go out, especially if it's never been replaced (this all depends on driving habits of course). Do not despair though. Although this is a bit more extensive than your average alternator, water pump or break job, you should be able to accomplish this task with some help. I suggest you obtain another set of hands, once who may have some experience with cars if possible. Get a Haynes manual and follow procedure step by step. Haynes makes pretty good repair manuals that you can pick up at your local auto parts store, while your at it, you can pick up the replacement clutch once you verify that it is the clutch that went bad.

Make sure you follow safety protocol and be patient. I'm sure this experience will lead you to become more driven (see what I did?) and enjoy working on cars even more. Or, things will go horribly wrong and you will never touch another engine/transmission part in your life again...j/k. We're here to help buddy, but you must do a little bit of research. Look up some YouTube videos on clutch replacements, even if it's for a different Honda/Acura model/year and read that Haynes manual beforehand so that you become familiar with the work it involves. I believe in you.

daperez13

Respected
Here's a very good link on a clutch replacement. It's for a 00 Civic Si but the concept is pretty much the same.