My EJ8; my slow build.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is my build thread. Here's the car currently:

02/12/2012 Update: MY CAR'S FIRST VIDEO!! :mrgreen: My buddy Tim with his DA and me

Alex | Tim Seattle Feature

Hey guys, I decided to start a build thread on here. I have a CW EJ8. I got it from a dealership with 118K miles on it for $5500. I got it with an AEM short ram intake, front and rear strut bars, lowered just a tad on H&R coils and these ridiculous 17 inch Enkei RS6s. I got it in February of 2010.

**When I got this car I was still in high school, and my dad strictly told me I couldn't touch the motor (no exhaust even) until I graduated then it would be under my name. So naturally I did everything cosmetically :smile:
I first tinted my windows. I regretted it later, but I thought it would be legit at the time.
I then got an Si grille, and yellow fogs. And of course, some HIDs.

Then I tossed the Enkeis and got a set of clean HXs thinking it wouldn't be that hard to macguyver them to make them fit. I thought wrong, and they didn't look that good anyway, so I sold those and got bronze Rota Circuit 8's. So much better =)

Then got a B&M straight short shifter, and CTR front and rear lips, and painted them along with my grille.

Then since the yellow fogs were poop, I got clear ones and put yellow bulbs in them.
Then came the Buddy Club Spec II catback exhaust.

I got blackback headlights. And a Benen front tow hook.

So I got a rear Benen tow hook, and got a Broadway rear view mirror. Also got PWJDM drilled/slotted rotors. They were on sale, why not?

Also got my buddy's P28 ECU and OBD jumper harness, then went and got it mapped to my liking.

This was what it looked like before the ice/snow up here and Washington owned me. I slid underneath a truck going 20 mph and essentially messed up my front end. So I rocked it black-white for a while :icon_redface:

After recovering from that, I got coilovers to replace the weenie springs to hopefully go lower. I did but not by much.
Theennnnnn in October I finally went all out for the champ white paint job!

Orderded ARP extended wheel studs, but they won't be going on until I get my rear disc conversion.

Got Function and Form Type 1's

Removed the tint, and got my buddy's TEs from him since his car was down at the moment.

Needed a trans, so he got the TEs back and got these. Here's how it sits now:

GSR Build

So in February, I finally decided what swap I was going to pursue with. I wanted a B series that would be fun and still get decent milage. I wanted something more on the torquey side, and something that could have potential later. So I decided a GSR. This is my first motor build/swap and I figure it'd be a good start for me. After two years I'm finally getting around to the heart transplant :rock:
So I decided on an OEM built GSR.

The set up:
-GSR head
*ITR cams
*ITR valvetrain
*Skunk2 port-matched intake manifold
*Airmass 4-2-1 header
*Test pipe
*Inline Pro cam gears
*Professional Products 68mm throttle body
*Candy teal powdercoated valve cover
-GSR block
*Initial plan was to find a block that needed to be bored out/rehoned. I wanted to bore it out to 81.5 and put oversize ITR pistons in. However, if I found a block that was in good condition and cylinder walls looks damn near flawless, I would just rock a stock bottom end. Because I'm toying with the idea of low boost later.
*ARP head studs
*ACT 12.5 lb flywheel
*Competition Stage 1 clutch
-B16 transmission
-P28 ECU on a RichTuned map

Soooo I picked up a clean rebuilt GSR head. I got it camless but I wanted ITR cams anyway.

Some pictures of the head and the hideous valve cover. I stripped it and sent it out to get powdercoated candy teal. I'm super excited to see how it turns out.

Ended up buying some ITR cams that used to be my ex's. :lol:

Picked up some Inline Pro cam gears

Found a GSR block and I got to test drive it before the guy pulled it. No smoke/knocking/pinging. Drove great.

Found an ITR valvetrain for 100 bucks so I grabbed that too

Put the valvetrain in and a pic of the cam gears and cams on the head.

Picked up an Airmass header for super cheap. I never really heard of them but when I researched them I heard nothing but good things. It sounds like it was an American company's shot at making import parts and it didn't last very long. But so far I haven't heard any complaints. I can just buy a different one if I don't like it. :gotme:

Got B series linkage, fuel rail with pressure regulator, and a polished spark plug cover that I am having a decal make to put on it. It's going to be a silhouette of the Seattle skyline.

Bought my buddy's Skunk2 Pro Series port-matched intake mani from him

Got my headgasket in yesterday (just OE Honda) and also ordered my ARP head studs. Should be in by next week. Once I get those, I'll put the longblock together.

04/12/12
Finally got these in the mail.

Here's the intake mani with the fuel rail on it. All cleaned up (for the most part).

Not quite getting put together yet, because my buddy is hogging the engine stand :lol:

4/16/12
New kicks

4/23/12

Update! Not much of one, but I have the longblock together finally.

Head studs in

Head on! I need a couple dowel pins before I can torque the cams on.

Also I've located a transmission from a friend. He's willing to hold it until I have moneys! One stress out of my way.

5/3/12
Ordered clutch and flywheel, and picked this up!

5/9/12
Clutch and flywheel came
Yay!

5/12/12

Got the decal on

Here's some teaser-ish pictures of the longblock. Not %100 together, but getting the idea. It makes me so excited!

5/31/12

Got the B16 transmission! Pretty stoked it has a new input shaft bearing. One less thing to worry about.

I've located all my other parts as well. It's just a factor of picking them up and figuring out why my exhaust cam won't rotate in the head and this will be going in in a couple weeks. I'm super nervous. :nervy:

6/8/2012
Fixed the grille FINALLY

6/10/12
Got the lower timing belt cover, got the timing belt on, and did a valve adjustment.

7/17/12
Got some rooollllersssss

Any bye bye little throttle body:

Hello 68mm!

Here's the bay with the new intake! Much better:

8/20/12

Got an ES Tuning Muffler to quiet the Buddy Club down.

9/8/2012

Picked up a complete turbo kit. Just need to change/improve some things. Hopefully it'll look something like this:

-T04 turbo
-Tial 40-44mm wastegate
-HKS SSQV
-3 inch downpipe
-Walboro 255 fuel pump
-RC 440 injectors

Then I'll be taking it to RichTuned to get tuned =) I'm planning on running either a 9 lb spring or 12 lb. The 12 lb is in the kit currently, he lost the 9 lb. Dyno sheets/pictures of it on the dyno will be posted!

9/18/12

Got the sidemarkers on FINALLY. And also got the ESTuning muffler installed. Soooo much quieter.

10/13/12

Got this for my birthday =)

Here's how it sits

12/19/12

Takata harness for Christmas =) Pictures coming soon.

**I apologize for the mostly s***ty camera phone pictures. I always forget my good camera at home

So there's my build. Any comments/suggestions/questions are welcome!

Thanks guys :D

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Car looks good with the lip...:thumbs up

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If i had money, i would buy those HXs from you...

iBeast

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks much better. i wouldn't consider rota's 'dream' wheels, but that is just my two cents.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sweeeeet. good start

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice car, I'm not really a fan of a white coupe with fogs, especially black or gray covers. I think white covers look nicer that that's just me

K-N-2-EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you guys must fail to think the op might be female? am i right? and what Ej8Kid said..i like white coupes better without the fogss.

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you guys must fail to think the op might be female? am i right? and what Ej8Kid said..i like white coupes better without the fogss.
You think the OP is a male? is that what your trying to say? Cause I know she's a female. haha

K-N-2-EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i was commenting on the part where she said Bro? cute haha...i know she is female as well but everyone on this site just assumes everyone is male..

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Eh, it happens guys. No sweat. Yeah I'm starting to regret the fogs... even though I LOVE how they look at night with my headlights. At first I wanted to do an Si clone, but everyone seems to do that and I really want to do a CTR clone for a coupe. I don't know, I'm just kind of playing with it and having fun for now =)

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
UPDATE!! Clear fogs, blackbacks, and front tow hook =)

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
UPDATE!! (Pictures coming soon)

Got mud flaps =) Up here in Washington it gets gross behind my wheels.
And.... Got a P28 ECU and chipped =)