my enclosure design

LouisVEi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gday!! ive designed a box for my 2 subs and amp
what u guys think of it? and will it work?

ner0x

SOHC MY DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
c00l.. creative, lets see the finished result

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think it would look better if the sides walls were angled in at the top a bit. instead of being so verticle. that way you can see the sub face a bit better.
also what are the red and yellow circles?
and what car is this going in?

LouisVEi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lkailburn said:
i think it would look better if the sides walls were angled in at the top a bit. instead of being so verticle. that way you can see the sub face a bit better.
also what are the red and yellow circles?
and what car is this going in?
yeh i thought that would be a better idea too
car is a honda civic sedan...plenty of space

phuzzit

Phuzzit - jj-
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it will work just make sure you put in a thick wall divider inside the box so each sub has its own air space.

EBPimpSi

CCCC member #76
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm...i dunno bout the subs being on the sides...i think it would be better if you have them facing either the trunk or towards the cabin

Last edited:

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
... I think it would be nicer, and better for the woofers, if the box wasn't so square... if you know what I mean...

LouisVEi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Akiahara96 said:
... I think it would be nicer, and better for the woofers, if the box wasn't so square... if you know what I mean...
its a trapezium... :D, newayz i was told that sound quality would be better

EBPimpSi said:
hmm...i dunno bout the subs being on the sides...i think it would be better if you have them facing either the trunk or towards the cabin
it would be better facing the backseats but how is it better facing the trunk?

yogz

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice box.. i'm not sure with the amplifiers mounted on the box. vibrations may tend to damage the asmall parts of your amp.

Frostee

OMG?! IS IT A HONDER!?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The most bass all around seems to be given when the sub/s are faced towards the tail end. This is because as the sound waves (bass) are sent towards the tail end of the trunk they bounce back and expand resulting in a bigger wave thus repeating and giving you more UMPH.. :2cent:

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
phuzzit said:
it will work just make sure you put in a thick wall divider inside the box so each sub has its own air space.
not necessarily, you could leave it this way and run one reverse phase as long as the magnets of the woofers were only a few inches or less apart which would be an isobaric setup.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
you will get the most bass if they are facing the trunk, but you also get the most distortion and low sq

LouisVEi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thnx for the input guys...so facing the trunk it will be
what type of box is more suited for rnb music? ported or sealed?

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
err did you get the air space requirements for the subs you have.
you cant just throw a sub ina box and roll
i mean you could but for it to sound the best i would find the requirements and then build the box around that

LouisVEi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeh about 1.3cuft for each 12 " sub correct? its something like that..

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it depends on the woofer itself, they all have different requirements that the manufacturer includes with your woofers. Ported enclosure designs depend on what you will use it for most, such as for rap or metal, you'll want ports, but if you listen to rock you'll want a sealed box to keep the subs tight and punchy.

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Holy crap, what the hell is everyone talking about. Sounds like everyone is doing research by reading audio advertisements. I'm not trying to dis, but there's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

- Every speaker has a Qts value associated with it. If your speaker didn't come with this information, then get it from the manufacturer. There are some nice plug n chug formulas available for figureing out the correct volume for the baffle (enclosure internal volume) in order to achieve even frequency response. If you don't want to bother with these calculations, then it really doesn't matter what dimensions you choose; it'll always be "wrong". But since you're going for bass, usually bigger is better (since you're trunk limited).

- It is better to have isolated airspaces for the two speakers (that means put a wall in the middle of the box to seal off one side to the other. Otherwise, they will be influencing each other, and you only do that if you are seriously working the forumlas. It's cleaner and easier to get good sound by isolating. And hooking non-isolated speakers in opposite phase it's about the worst thing you can do. (There is something that looks similar, called a passive radiator, but this is not it.)

- The shape of your box is either for aesthetics, in which case you should choose whatever shape you think looks good. Or, to minimize resonant reflections within the box. Squared boxes are the most effecient in volume to the space they take up (remember, you usually want big enclosures, trunk limited, for more bass). One of the easy to remember and use dimensions are the 4:5:6 ratio. Another worse, your height/width/length of the box should have those relative dimensions to each other. For example: a 24"x30"x36" box is of this ratio. This minimize standing waves which will give uneven response.

- Don't try porting unless you are calculating with Qts. The purpose of porting is to extend the bass response at the -3db drop off in the response. You must know Qts, F-3db, volume of your box, diameter of your port, then you can calculate the length. If it's just for aesthetics, then just slap any tube on, it doesn't matter.

- If you've built the box well, and mounted the speakers well, I doubt there'd be enough vibrations to damage the amp.

- You can't make a blanket statement and say "make the speaker face backwards". You have to calculate or simulate the acoustics of the odd shaped cabin. None of us have those resources so don't even worry about this aspect.