My Families Speculative Business Ideas

FLCL7777

JDM not-tyte Yo!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My question for you guys is to gauge how well, or good the two ideas they came up with is. This is all specualtive, but the start up capital does exist (my extended family isnt too poorly off =) ), as does the personel on the ground US and Asia (ill get to this).

Idea 1 JDM car importation
So we all know how motorex f**ked up everything. My father used to be into gray market german cars in the past, and he too has done research into this. Furthermore he has represented not 1 but 2 autoshops, so close personel ties between highly experienced mechanics exist. Essentially, his idea is to take a select group of JDM hard to find cars, get them up the spec that hell sell them at, have them get Dot approved, EPA approved, then move onto taking ordesr for the cars. He'd have a shop at which said mechanics would implement all of the required ceritifcations and specs. He has more than enough start up capital and people with technical know how to implement this. Good idea or non? it seems that most people who have gotten into this wouldve made a fairly nice penny, if it werent for trying to save chump change and lying to the government. Essentially, an operation where cars are bought, shipped, spec'ed, and sold in the US completely legal and titled.

Idea 2 Chinese race track
essentialyl he'd buy up about 20-30 acres of land like on the outskirts of beijing, and pretty much build up a facility for racing i.e. 1/4 mile, oval, courses, etc. with minimal ammenities past the stuff pertinent to racing .i.e. like observation buildings. Chinese people while not having good cars, are insanely into this s**t, and the government doesnt care about liability or stuff. This seems to be the more "forefront" idea as past the initial start up, labor, maintenance, et al. is VERY low.

Just some random brainstorming i did with my family, because they wanted to get into more chinese/asian busniess. seems like the first is more niche, while the latter is more practical?
ideas on viability?

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i say bring over the cars to america, and give CC members 50 percent discount on all cars, parts, etc..

FLCL7777

JDM not-tyte Yo!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol, well, lets say we imported a completely Stock JDM EK nonCTR
how much do you think it would sell for, assuming the legality has been done

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
You have to consider the market for such vehicles. Most people with any interest in these cars are from around what 17-25... MAYBE 30's. Civics might would sell to this age group but not much else, being that skylines or CTR, ITRs are going to cost too much for the average young person.

FLCL7777

JDM not-tyte Yo!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cool, believe what you want bro

possibly for idea #1, well it seems like the probable market for stuff like taht is prob more geared towards people who are wealtheir in their 40+?
seems like therye mroe likely to buy an "exotic" when they hit that point in time.

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
I think you're full of s**t. Just my :twocents:

I wasnt going to go there.... but im somewhat with you.

Regardless of what I/we think, do the s**t up if youre serious.

cool, believe what you want bro

possibly for idea #1, well it seems like the probable market for stuff like taht is prob more geared towards people who are wealtheir in their 40+?
seems like therye mroe likely to buy an "exotic" when they hit that point in time.
My point exactly, more of the older crowds could care less about an import. They are mostly looking in the corvette, or true sports car price range.

FLCL7777

JDM not-tyte Yo!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thats what i figured when i was talking about this

and to those who doubt it, ITS NOT MY BUSINESS, ist a speculative one my father and his associates would consider.

so your thinking more stuff like sports cars right. like w/e stuff like Rx7's or w/e, etc.

in regards to the latter, i found a real estate quote for 10,000 yuan an acre in the western part of beijing, might be worth going for it

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Move to China and do some research.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
civics, integras, cappacinos, imprezas, skylines, sylvias.. if you have at least 3-4 of each of these common basis cars, youll have a good business

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so your thinking more stuff like sports cars right. like w/e stuff like Rx7's or w/e, etc.
People with $70,000-$80,000 who are looking for a car aren't usually in the market for a jdm civic, type r or not. A skyline or supra perhaps, but you also have to take into account the current market.

For the price of an imported R34 just a couple of years ago, you now get one hell of a car in the new skyline. Or a Z06 vette, or a decent porsche. There is a hell of a lot of competition in that price range. And with all the red tape you'd have to deal with to import and sell those cars, you'd be hard pressed to compete on price or performance. Novelty maybe, but it would be hard to turn much of a profit on that alone.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you have enough money to build a fully functioning race track in china.... what you should do.. is find someone intelligent to tell you what to do with that money...

i mean come on.. china? you have enough money to build a race track in china... if that is the case.. with real estate SUCKING so bad.. what you should really do is buy investment properties that you can rent out... and with NOTHING selling you would really be able to get them cheap and make some money.. sure its not as elaborate as "china car world" but its simple and realistic..

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you have enough money to build a fully functioning race track in china.... what you should do.. is find someone intelligent to tell you what to do with that money...

i mean come on.. china? you have enough money to build a race track in china... if that is the case.. with real estate SUCKING so bad.. what you should really do is buy investment properties that you can rent out... and with NOTHING selling you would really be able to get them cheap and make some money.. sure its not as elaborate as "china car world" but its simple and realistic..
agreed.

His recent posts just reek of gloating. I very much doubt the validity of most of these posts.

FLCL7777

JDM not-tyte Yo!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
reading ftl i guess

since when did i say im building it? it would be a joint partnership between my father and our relaives in china bro

yeah the first one is prob just a stupid caprice when i was talking with him, since he actually imported 2 graymarket cars illegaly into this country in te 70's, but in regards to teh second, it would require a large ammount of research.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You need to research on your "JDM" cars in China.

FLCL7777

JDM not-tyte Yo!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well the import laws in regards to automobiles in china is nonexistent, pretty much get it on a boat, at the dock and your good to go if you pay off the correct/know the righ officla

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
reading ftl i guess

since when did i say im building it? it would be a joint partnership between my father and our relaives in china bro

yeah the first one is prob just a stupid caprice when i was talking with him, since he actually imported 2 graymarket cars illegaly into this country in te 70's, but in regards to teh second, it would require a large ammount of research.

regardless of WHOS idea it is or who is partnering with who.. it sucks... its like... standing in front of a box of high quality diamonds that are being liquidated.... and a box of shiney broken glass and saying.. hmmm which should i invest in...

for the most part.. in regards to making money.. if it hasnt been done theres a reason...

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yes, so its illegal.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well the import laws in regards to automobiles in china is nonexistent, pretty much get it on a boat, at the dock and your good to go if you pay off the correct/know the righ officla
its not that side of the ocean id be worried about...