My Fiberglassed center console EG6.

mastertee31

5+ Year Member
Thought I might post some pictures as I go along. I fiberglassed tweeter pods in my old accord to see if I could actually do it and they came out awesome. So I decided to take on a bigger challenge with my new car and fiberglass everything! (kickpanel pods, center console, rear speaker enclosures and trunk) This is by no means a tutorial but rather a visual process of how much work is really involved in building all this stuff. I'll try to make regular updates, but work will probably interfere with that lol. Expected completion date is somewhere toward the end of winter/mid spring.

First thing at hand was to start working on the center console. Some of you might be asking why re-work a perfectly good console in the first place? Well the truth is I botched a previous job and this is my attempt to fix it. A couple of months ago I acquired some leather RSX-S Seats for my car, the problem was that they were black and my interior was blue. So I gutted everything and re-painted EVERYTHING black. After much searching to find a real black carpet for my car I came across a company on the net claiming a perfect fit... After a full day of swearing and sweating I finally got my carpet in, only to have it buckle and crimp up along the door sills! So I pulled out the handy xacto knife and started cutting away until I realized that I had cut too much. There was no longer enough carpet to go under the center console or under the door sills overlapping edge.

Solution = Extend the overlapping door sill edge and center console edges.

Day 1:

The space to be filled:

I attached pieces of balsa with hot glue to the existing console to get my frame:

I then stretched spandex tightly over my frame. (Apparently not tight enough... I will have a lot of building up to do to get it flat again) and applied generous amounts of resin all over it. (The spandex sagged from the weight of the resin because it was not pulled tightly enough... I have learned from this mistake):

Not bad for a days work...

Next up: Fiberglass buildup, Bondo, Sanding, sanding and more sanding! Stay tuned to learn from my mistakes hehe.

mastertee31

5+ Year Member
Day 2:

First layer of fiberglass: (I'm gonna try to get another 2 layers down tonight to smooth out those valleys)

mastertee31

5+ Year Member
Day 3:

Finally had the time to get down a few layers of fiberglass along with the final layer. (Total of layers: aprox 3-4, in the valleys I had up to 8 in one spot) I plan to trim the excess tonight, and lay the first layer of bondo.

* A word from the wise: "If you plan on doing a fiberglass project always wear gloves and a mask" It's itchy as hell, and the fibers in the air are really bad for your health.

Final layer of fiberglass:

BONDO!!!:

Hope to have this baby fully bondo'd, sanded and primed tomorrow. Maybe I'll even start my rear speaker pods.

mastertee31

5+ Year Member
Day 4:

More Bondo, more sanding. I put a thin layer of primer on top to see the low spots better. I'm guessing one more layer of bondo and some progressively finer sand paper and good to go.

mastertee31

5+ Year Member
Day 5:

I skipped pictures of the finer grain of sandpaper used, but it eventually ended with a wet sand at 2000 grit. Finished pictures with primer below.

I will hopefully have the finished painted and installed pics up by Tuesday night. I decided on using black Tremclad hammered look paint to add a textured look for this piece so that it flows with the existing panels. (Note: To people attempting a project like this, consider using a textured paint to hide imperfections if you have any)

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
daaaaaaaaamn, looks sexy, cant wait to see it painted and installed

mastertee31

5+ Year Member
OVNi_CIVIC said:
cool, i'd a put an arm rest while i was at it tho
I had everything setup and ready to go for an armrest, and then I changed my mind. Besides, once the k20a is in there with the 6 speed tranny I'll probably hafto scrap the console to make room for the shifter anyhow. I can always add-on later, I was thinking of adding a 2 gauge pod on the big flat part.

mastertee31

5+ Year Member
Still day 5:

I decided to paint today (I just couldn't wait, it was killing me to see it finished)

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OEM looks way more quality but nice job doing s**t on your own

blueline

JDM Jerzy Domestic Market
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dude...two thumbs way up on that s**t!:thumbs up :thumbs up

boricuacvc

El Gistro Mami!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
actually looks pretty nice... i dont think its ricey at all, since you did have a purpose on doing it.