My first Civic

Broken Wings

Nismo Nut
5+ Year Member
Hello, im building my first Civic. I picked up a 1992 HB DX (EH2) for $250. It runs but has front end damage. It needs a core support, hood, fenders, and headlights. Im planning a D16B5 swap into it but that may turn into a B series swap eventually.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:welcome:

oh and

:nopics:

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh and why the b5 besides the fact that its newer.

its underpowered compaired to the z6 and you would have to convert your car to obd2.

BonaoCityyFnst

Con migo Noo
5+ Year Member
oh and why the b5 besides the fact that its newer.

its underpowered compaired to the z6 and you would have to convert your car to obd2.
wich one you would have convert the z6 to obd2 or the b5?

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the 92-95 civic is obd1 as is the d16z6 from a 92-95 ex/si. the d16b5 is obd2 from a 98-00 GX

jordan00711

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Go with the b, that way you dont have to waste money on the d thats in it or swapping in a vtec d

:nopics:

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you're not looking to spend alot of money on a swap, the jdm d15b is the motor of choice due to the power, and the reliability of it most likely having a fraction of the miles that local d16z6 single vtec motors have on them. Most engine importers will warranty the jdm d15b also. And since it's fairly similar to the usdm d16z6 and d15z1, all bolt on parts and replacement parts you order will be for either of those motors.

Broken Wings

Nismo Nut
5+ Year Member
I want to keep it SOHC for sure. Its not the cost i just dont see any of them around knoxville at all. What engine do you guys think tho. I like the d16b5 because it similar to the y5. But a d15b wouldnt be bad either. And to be totally honest i hadnt considered a z6.
And i will have pics soon (hopefully tomorrow)

Last edited:

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should narrow your options down to these motors:

d16z6 (USDM 92-95 civic/del sol)
d15b vtec (JDM 92-95 civic)

Anything else will just give you problems without extensive knowledge of the motors.
These motors are also the easiest to find. I recommend the jdm d15b, once again, because they are more likely to have fewer miles, and are most of the time sold with a warranty. The only thing you'll need after buying the long block is to buy a p28 ecu.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should narrow your options down to these motors:

d16z6 (USDM 92-95 civic/del sol)
d15b vtec (JDM 92-95 civic)

Anything else will just give you problems without extensive knowledge of the motors.
These motors are also the easiest to find. I recommend the jdm d15b, once again, because they are more likely to have fewer miles, and are most of the time sold with a warranty.
I agree

woodalk

5+ Year Member
hey man, i have a 95 civic that just threw a rod out of the block yesterday so im parting it out..... anything and everything you need off the car is yours, just msg me.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I've seriously been thinking of putting the D15B7 from my eh2 onto my go-kart....