My first turbo project, suggest,adv,comm pls

96civic808

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yu from the big island? maui? you can ship your car using DHX, i work for them. we have a terminal on every island. strap you car in a container, but its not cheap. honestly i think yu might be dissapointed if yu get to oahu. alot of shops have changed owners or shut down ever since the track went down. few places i kno are left is titan motorsports, hi-pace, munky worx(have the only dyno on the island i think), and wicked machine racing(i think their still around). ive done a b18c swap to my car, deciding to turbo and trying to read up on how to diy tune. times like this i wish i lived in cali, but good luck on your build brada!! if i ever come across to do my tuning ill let you kno...
i stay maui.
someone told me a AEM certified guy that tunes car lives here but dont know who that lolz

96civic808

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Every build has it's budget, and this happens to be quite a reasonable one for his goals. If you did not "do a turbo car on a budget!!!!!!!", then 75% of the boosted Civics on here would be stock.

OP, I don't think you're going to be able to squeeze it in buying a kit, though. That Go Auto Works kit is the best deal you'll find for a complete kit, and it's $2000 by itself.

Turbo Kit - $2000
Vitara Pistons/Eagle Rods - ~$600
Tune - ~$300-400

Total: ~$3000.

It's not a question of whether or not you'll have to piece together your build. To reach 250 WHP reliably with $2500, you will have to piece together your own kit (recommended) or buy a complete used kit (not recommended). That's all there is to it.

For reference, here's a list I threw together one time, since I am also planning for boost. I didn't include the piston/rod combo, so throw that on top.

For EJ8 D16Y8:

Need (1st Priority):
Turbo
Wastegate
Manifold
Downpipe
Dump Tube
Air Filter
Charge Piping
Intercooler
Blow-Off Valve
Vacuum Hoses
Oil Lines
Fuel Pump
Exhaust
Catch Can
Engine Management/Tune
Injectors
Gauges
-Oil Pressure
-Boost Pressure
-Air/Fuel Ratio
Cold Heat Range Spark Plugs
Clutch
ARP Headstuds
Oil
Fuel
Turbo Timer

Need (2nd Priority):
Boost Controller
Radiator/Fans
Gauges
-Oil Temp
-Water Temp
-EGT
-Fuel Pressure
Oil Cooler
-Thermostatic Oil Bypass
Shift Linkage Bushings
Half Shafts
Brakes
Boost Timer
Differential

Maintenance:
Compression Test
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Head Gasket

EDIT: And as Kensai said, it may be worth your time/$$$ to buy the non crucial, non high-wear parts used from someone who took a kit off their car, eBay, etc.
THANKS MAN!!!!!!!! you made my life easier lolz

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You don't "need" half of that stuff..
You need everything in the first column to have as reliable as a build as possible. The second column is for less necessary things, which are nice or good to have.

Yes, you can turbo without some of these parts and you might be alright. But why take the chance?

96civic808

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Update
i will buy next paycheck

-head gasket set $55
-water pump $76
-oil pump $57
-ARP Head Studs $120
-NGK spark plug wire/spark plug $73

THERE GOES MY PAYCHECK LOLZ

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
might as well pay for a cometic head gasket, just to be safe.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yup i will cuz im going to bore it to 76mm
stock sleeved motor? i highly suggest you do NOT bore to 76mm. The cylinder walls at 76mm will be dangerously thin and will likely fail under boost. If you have to bore go 75.5mm. I posted a link on page 2 where you can purchase eagle h beam rods and ycp vitara pistons for $475. ;)

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
either clutch is fine. i use ACT and others use exedy. just depends on personal preference and price

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

96civic808

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
rebuilt kit for the motor was ordered.
next pay check:
-arp headstuds