My Radiator Tuck w/ some how to

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did this in this section because its part of my build but mods please move if you deem appropriate

Soooo, I have been haveing serious cooling issues since I swapped the GSR and even mmore with the supercharger. Since the radiator in the was kinda tight to begin with and in need of some more fluid for cooling, i figure why not be different. The original plan was to swap an integra radiator but would only manage a stock size an figured it had the same capacity as my mishimoto. So after searching i found some descent info. Also, this is a great mod for you turbo guys sinceyou dont have to worry about hittin the rad and you can still use the intercooler.

This is my process and is mostly informative. Should you attempt to try this, all responsibilty lies on you. There is a fair amount of modding and custom work for this, so be prepared if you go this route. Also this is on an EK chassis, im not sure how this will work for any other chassis.

First off, some materials needed (as per how i did this, for this post):
Welder
Cutting wheel
Dremel
Screwdrivers
Socket set
Griffin radiator http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-2-58190-X/

The car

So first off you want to remove that front bumper and bumper support bar. If you cant do this quit now.
So i took the guess work out of fitment and trust it fits, pretty well i might add.

Mocked for fitment (without brackets)

the original plan was to add these supports in the back but scrapped the idea

It was pretty strurdy with just the bumper support there but didnt wanna take aaannnyy chances, so using the brackets that were shipped with it (included for free from summit with the purchase) i used them to support the bottom.
the included brackets http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-KD-00050/
since they were a bit to long i had to cut them down with the cutting wheel
before and after pt. 1

part 2

i didnt get a pic of before welding, but i had to sand the brackets and radiator frame down.
after the welds (by my dad) they arent perfect but it holds and besides no one will see them

So after it cooled, i reinstalled the radiator to check for fitment. It clears beautifully but is somewhat angled.

clearence

Notice issue #1. the fill neck gets covered slightly. The plan is to notch out a piece of the support to allow access to the cap. more on this in later posts as i complete this.

old vs new setup. notice the space and the wide header.

Issue #2. the inlet and outlet are further and different sizes.
upper

lower

possible solution was to have a rad shop weld some extension/reducer pieces but after a bit of searching i may just go this route
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_Cooling_TransHoseSplicers.html
seems easier and cheaper.

issue #3. since your taking up space behind the rad support, you lose space for the bumper, which means the grill and bumper have to be notched to accomidate.
heres the grill (take it apart if possible to make it easier)

this is what i accomplished in the past 2 days. i will keep this updated as much as possible and will entertain any questions.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why did you do this?

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i needed more cooling so i dont overheat and i think a tucked radiator makes for a cleaner bay.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I like it!

Imma be attempting this also. Not on a civic, but same rules apply!

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should be fine with the half size radiator... seems like you have other cooling issues to deal with.

also, how are you going to get to the radiator cap?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
U notch out the core support so u can get to the cap or u extend the neck...

This has been done quite a bit and there are a lot of people tuckinf everything on honda-tech...

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should be fine with the half size radiator... seems like you have other cooling issues to deal with.

also, how are you going to get to the radiator cap?
i have been having cooling issues since the swap and have done everything i can think of to get rid of it. also the supercharger creates a lot of heat which doesnt help.

i changed head gasket, water pump twice, t-stat, rad cap, i ran a cleaner through it, water-wetter, changed to a shrouded fan, running without t-stat, fan switch is always. NOTHING helps, so my next step is to increase the amount of coolant in the system....

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i LOVE this, i love a FULLY tucked bay. good job, cant wait to see it finished.

i would like to do this, but i refuse to give up my AC so its pointless

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have been having cooling issues since the swap and have done everything i can think of to get rid of it. also the supercharger creates a lot of heat which doesnt help.

i changed head gasket, water pump twice, t-stat, rad cap, i ran a cleaner through it, water-wetter, changed to a shrouded fan, running without t-stat, fan switch is always. NOTHING helps, so my next step is to increase the amount of coolant in the system....
did you happen to replace the head bolts and torque them properly? plenty of my friends have boosted B's running the half radiator here in FL without issue.

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Day 3 and 4

The past 2 days saw little production. My dremel took a s**t yesterday and i slept in today. but onto the pictures.

i meant to show thie on on the first post to give more of an idea of space on the support. its close

i ended up doing a lot of cutting and fiting to get the bumper to fit correctly.
passenger

driver

overall

and with the grill in place

So i solved issue #1. I ended up cutting a piece out of the rad support to make room for the cap.
What I DIDNT do was to see how far the grill sat on the support in order to use that to cover it up. So now with the grill installed you can still see a bit of the hole.:evil:
My guide line

the cut

I hit the fresh cut and the bracket with sume rustoleum paint in order to keep it from rusting

Now this is what i spent ALLLLL day working on today.
Since theres no AC and the radiator is tucked and i am trying to achieve a clean bay, i figured who the hell needs the factory brackets. Understand that I didnt have the right tool to take out the spot welds which led me to have get creative with some chisels, pry bar, pliers and a LOT of arm work. I did a lot of back and forth prying. If you can, use the tool for spot welds.
Header and traction bar removed

The 3 brackets i had to deal with (the other Ac was already removed and the ones for the radiator was shortened for the bar)

1 rad and the AC bracket taken off

Once the bulk of the bracket was removed, it took a grinder to them so it looks cleaner

thats is for now.
I ended up ordering the translation reducers i mentioned in the first post for the time being.

tomorrows agenda:
paint the grinded down areas to reduce rust
setup the radiator again to measure for fans
order parts from summit

update in a couple days

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would thing u could notch out the bumper support and kind of angle the radiator to get a cleaner fit and also have better fill hole for the radiator. I'm assuming ur doing ur fans to pull?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats going to be one hell of a tuck

This makes me wonder if its possible to do it with a half rad and ac in yet, maybe even fit a intercooler yet with enough work

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would thing u could notch out the bumper support and kind of angle the radiator to get a cleaner fit and also have better fill hole for the radiator. I'm assuming ur doing ur fans to pull?
that idea never crossed my mind. a little to late for it though, might consider if i ever do this again.
and yes pull fans.

thats going to be one hell of a tuck

This makes me wonder if its possible to do it with a half rad and ac in yet, maybe even fit a intercooler yet with enough work
i think you can still keep ac with this, just use one fan. thats one of the reason i really like the setup cuz it still leaves room for the intercooler plus theres lots of room for the mani, snail, intake and DP.

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
this would be a sick way to hid ur intercooler. This + recirculating BOV would be sleeper status and a clean engine bay. in for more pics!