My rare JDM RHD 1980 Prelude XR found in WV

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Its pretty cool. I like the body style a lot, just dont think I would be able to feel the RHD.

Aaron.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
s**t, im jealous

yamaharider324

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
May be a dumb question but have always wondered this, on factory RHD cars, is 1st gear where say 5th gear in a normal LHD car is?

Also nice pick up man I'm feelin the car alot

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yamaharider324 - it's not a dumb question but yes, the gear positions are exactly the same as on a LHD drive car or at least on this car. Nothings reversed.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
hehe.. one has to remember the gear positions as absolute positions (such as top-left, back-middle, back-right), rather than the "closer to further" that so many of us are accustomed to. i haven't driven RHD in about a decade, but at least you don't have to deal with the lanes being reversed lol

EMIIspecED

TEAM OCELOT rep.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i know htis a lame question, is it FWD?

edit: nm it is

those wheels are sooo sweet,

curb weight: 1900 lbs

damn that thing is light

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i know htis a lame question, is it FWD?

edit: nm it is

those wheels are sooo sweet,

curb weight: 1900 lbs

damn that thing is light
that comes at a cost... and the cost is body structure and safety components.

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ very true. One big thing I've noticed is the engine is actually part of a lower beam that runs from the front cross member to the firewall. It's bolted down to it plus like 3 torsion-like engine mounts. I remember I took a hard turn in her the day after I got her and her back end slid very easily. She's very very solid in the front.

She's FWD, no rear drive here (though that would be a plus :D)

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i really wish i lived closer to ya. i'm very excited about this... actually a little more excited than my own car's build, if u can believe it.

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You better baby the fvck out of that. I am truly in awe being a 5th gen Prelude owner now. I would sell everything in my living room just to park it in there.

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i really wish i lived closer to ya. i'm very excited about this... actually a little more excited than my own car's build, if u can believe it.
Thanks dude! I plan on starting up a restoration thread here soon once I can start finding some time to spend on her. My buddie might bring his Mugen MR5's over and put on here so I'll take pics once I can to share.

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You better baby the fvck out of that. I am truly in awe being a 5th gen Prelude owner now. I would sell everything in my living room just to park it in there.
Holy crap that's a batman of a compliment! Thanks man! She's gonna get the pampered beyond belief. :D

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it is VERY cool.. but just curious.. what do you do with it? is there any real performance possibilities? parts? availability? that thing is really really really cool and I am NOT talking s**t.. just curious about the where you go from here..

good luck with it.. and definitely keep us updated.. I am genuinely interested

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it is VERY cool.. but just curious.. what do you do with it? is there any real performance possibilities? parts? availability? that thing is really really really cool and I am NOT talking s**t.. just curious about the where you go from here..

good luck with it.. and definitely keep us updated.. I am genuinely interested
All good man, I hear ya and thanks!! I've truthfully always liked the older generation honda looks and when you look at it, the 1st generation prelude is really a civic body with accord suspension and engine. Also of people say the front end looks very very similar to the 2nd generation civic front end so it BASICALLY is a civic coupe but not really.

For parts, there out there but I've got alot of looking to to do. I think this is gonna be more fun to have to search for my goodies instead of just going on ebay and finding millions of a part. I've noticed the parts from honda are all but mostly discontinued which sucks so I'm gonna be busting out the connections. My best bets are to find some salvage yards or craigslist . There's a guy that lives but 2 miles away from (no joke) with an 81 and 82 prelude for sale. I'm considering asking him for one of them for cheap so I can use some of the body panels off it. I know he's asking $2200 for both of them. Be awesome to roll up in my RHD and say "yeah, i'm a collector of these cars alright." haha:D

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good luck with it.. it is definitely neat..

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Went out today at got a rust removal tool that attaches to the my drill. Went over a few spots and it really cleared up how far the rust has spread under the paint. I also got some 80 grit automotive sandpaper to start with. So what do you guys think?

Here is a shot of where (i'm guessing for us legalization reasons) they drilled two small holes to attach a rear side reflector light which had no seal behind it. f**king idiots. This is before:

This is after:

I'm thinking it's spread a good bit but what are your takes on it? Also here are a few more shots of some small areas I tested out before I went to bed. So with this being grinded down, is it okay now to start smoothing body filler over and start primering? What else should I do. Don't hate me here as I'm learning, I've dealt with surface rust but not this kind of rust.