my stereo wont work

jasanp

5+ Year Member
Im trying to install a sony stereo into my civic 99 but i cant seem to get it to work...ive done this before with my 98 but this one is working. Any ideas?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Going to have to be more specific.

I will start with the obvious. Did you wire everything correctly? How do you know you did, did you test it with a multimeter? Do you have power coming to it 1) as a constant and 2) as a keyed power? Is it grounded correctly? Are the fuses blown in either the head unit or either of the 2 in the car?

travis_meeks

like lethal said, check your interior fuses in the car first prolly. (assuming you are using the same wiring harness for both cars and one works, the other doesnt)

jasanp

5+ Year Member
I checked one fuse under the dash...which one am i missing?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe in the '96-'00 the fuses for the radio are #'s 14 and 28. #14 is usually only in '96-'98 but check anyway. There is also a fuse in the engine compartment. #47 but that one controls the ECM as well so that likely isn't your problem. Check it anyway.

There should also be a fuse on the head unit or in a little box that is inline with the yellow wire coming out of it. If there isn't a fuse in the back of the unit or on this yellow wire, GET ONE, and install it inline with the yellow wire. That line SHOULD ALWAYS be fused.

Crump

ya as lethal said you need to check power with a multimeter or even a test light

yellow 12 constant
red 12v ignition
blk ground, on radio harness wiring, are you using a harness that plugs into the oem honda harness?

RonJ

Banned
Ignition switch power = Yel/Red wire from fuse 28
Constant power = Wht/Blu wire from fuse 47
Dimmer switch lights = Red/Blk wire from fuse 30

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ignition switch power = Yel/Red wire from fuse 28
Constant power = Wht/Blu wire from fuse 47
Dimmer switch lights = Red/Blk wire from fuse 30

Thanks for mentioning that Ron. I forgot to clarify that when I was saying colors I was referring to the wires that come out of the head unit, NOT the stock car wiring.

scarhead92

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
literally blew fuse 28 last night moving my radio down to cupholders haha thank god for CC

cfarr

Just bought my first honda and I LOVE it.. 99 Civic DX.. some small problems with it though,, most I have fixed but the wiring is completly jacked up.. when I apply the brake all the backup lights come on! ( its funny watching the car behind me try to scramble out of the way because they think I am backing up).. But thats another day and another thread..
I am trying to fix the radio.. NO constant power source.. The switched source is run from the fuse panal under the dash with an INline fuse and some other small box thing that has some type of coil or something in it... but it is connected to the yellow wire behind the radio..which should be the battery wire (according to the diagram on the radio)
The red wire should be the switched power and it is terminated to the wiring harness that connects to the cars harness, but I dont detect any power on it when the key is turned...
Can the yellow battery wire be the only power source?? and why does the radio even work at all if the only source is connected to the battery connection??