Mysterious oil loss: Does your Si do this?

donovan772

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My Si goes through oil every 2-3 weeks. Do I possibly have a leak, because I don't ever see it dripping. Could it possibly be the oil pan or gasket if there is a leak?

RonJ

Banned
Any blue smoke in the exhaust?

Any signs of wet oil on engine surfaces?

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i bet when you get on it, it jsut rolls smoke out the back, but you cant tell because of your speed/wind. get a buddy to get behind you and see if he cant smell that smell when you get on it.

bad piston rings

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My Si goes through oil every 2-3 weeks. Do I possibly have a leak, because I don't ever see it dripping. Could it possibly be the oil pan or gasket if there is a leak?
while mine doesnt lose oil as fast as yours does, i lose about a quart every 2 months.

RonJ

Banned
Oil doesn't just vanish and there's basically only two places it can go, an engine leak or burning in the cylinders. As you don't seem to have a leak, you must be burning oil in the cylinders, likely due to worn piston rings as already mentioned.

donovan772

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There is no smoke my friend said so it has to be a leak somewhere,but I cant find it.
But then again he probably idn't pay attention that much. I'll have to check tomorrow.

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would look underneath the car really good because if it was burning then you would have a hell of a cloud behind you, but if its leaking that much oil it will def show up on the motor.

F150orelse

5+ Year Member

Are you checking the oil when the car sits overnight? that is the best way to check because the oil tends to take a long time to settle all the way down.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how much oil does it "go through" exactly.. saying you go through oil every 2-3 weeks is a very vague misleading statement.. because you are saying 1) every 2 or 3 weeks my oil level drops a little OR 2) every 2 or 3 weeks i have to completely refill the oil.. and well the answer to those two vastly different problems is equally different... if its not a lot of oil.. and you drive often... you may be burning oil but not noticing this huge cloud of smoke because it is doing it in small amounts over long periods of driving..a leak under the hood would be pretty obvious providing you REALLY look..

donovan772

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how much oil does it "go through" exactly.. saying you go through oil every 2-3 weeks is a very vague misleading statement.. because you are saying 1) every 2 or 3 weeks my oil level drops a little OR 2) every 2 or 3 weeks i have to completely refill the oil.. and well the answer to those two vastly different problems is equally different... if its not a lot of oil.. and you drive often... you may be burning oil but not noticing this huge cloud of smoke because it is doing it in small amounts over long periods of driving..a leak under the hood would be pretty obvious providing you REALLY look..
It goes from the 2nd dot to half way in between the 1st and 2nd.

slomotion

Banned
do you have aftermarket pistons/rings. valve guides being worn will do it to. just had my head reconditioned and in the proccess all my exhaust guides were replaced. my oil consuption is non existent except for long periods of high speed(90+) or heavy footedness,this is normal. 4 quarts every2-3 weeks is extreme but, i lost 3quarts every 5. and i also had no smoke coming from my exhaust, WOT or not. G.L.

PeugeotLowrider

5+ Year Member
My 99 Si does the same thing. I think I found that it is gathering in the crank vent on the back side of te motor. I havent researched it much since it just started happening lately but I have been told to get rid of the vent and install a oil catch can setup. You can set it up so it will recirculate the oil from whever back into the crank case.

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oil doesn't just vanish and there's basically only two places it can go, an engine leak or burning in the cylinders. As you don't seem to have a leak, you must be burning oil in the cylinders, likely due to worn piston rings as already mentioned.
this

MyNaSi51

MyNaSi51
5+ Year Member
mine is doing the same thing. i has dropped from half way between the first and second dot. to under the first dot in less than 2 weeks. the car only has 73 k i think i need to do a timing belt soon. sometimes you can feel the car .. i dont know how to explain it but have a sudden lag real quick under acceleration. could be shifting to early but thats if i shift around 3 k ok back to the oil. when i went to change it there was oil gathered all over the bottom of the oil pan so its leaking some where? any ideas as to where to start first and wtf do the si's always have to leak oil. this is my second si and both leak oil. i know the si gets reved up alot higher than most civics but damn thats alot of oil. any ideas? there is alot of black s**t on the tip of my muffler

donovan772

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mine is doing the same thing. i has dropped from half way between the first and second dot. to under the first dot in less than 2 weeks. the car only has 73 k i think i need to do a timing belt soon. sometimes you can feel the car .. i dont know how to explain it but have a sudden lag real quick under acceleration. could be shifting to early but thats if i shift around 3 k ok back to the oil. when i went to change it there was oil gathered all over the bottom of the oil pan so its leaking some where? any ideas as to where to start first and wtf do the si's always have to leak oil. this is my second si and both leak oil. i know the si gets reved up alot higher than most civics but damn thats alot of oil. any ideas? there is alot of black s**t on the tip of my muffler
Mine is the EXACT SAME WAY!!!!! But yeah I changed my oil 3 weeks ago put 4 quarts in it and had to put 2 almost 3 more in today.Anyways somewhere I saw somebody post that the b series engines didn't have very good oil pans at all. I got a feeling it's my piston ring though.Because when I hit vtec smoke comes out.