Mystery Coolant Leak

jackdog1

I recently replaced my '97 Coupe EX's radiator, coolant hoses, clamps, and thermostat and properly refilled the coolant. However, coolant appears to be leaking from where the upper hose connects to the radiator. I haven't found leaks anywhere else, and have already tried tightening the clamp a bit tighter. I haven't had a chance to drain some of the coolant and check the hose for cracks yet.

Any ideas?

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What type of clamps are you using? My guess is theyre not tight enough. Its happened to me.

jackdog1

What type of clamps are you using? My guess is theyre not tight enough. Its happened to me.
The ones that you tighten by turning the bolt. How much can I tighten those without having to worry about breaking something (cutting into the hose or cracking the radiator)?

What strange is it's only leaking at one of the four connections.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can pretty much tighten it until you see some of the rubber peaking through the small holes in the middle of the clamp straps. If it looks like its cutting in then its too much. I believe the upper hose gets the most pressure through it, which is why the others can get away with less pressure, but with that being said you may want to go tighten up the others a little more.

jackdog1

You can pretty much tighten it until you see some of the rubber peaking through the small holes in the middle of the clamp straps. If it looks like its cutting in then its too much. I believe the upper hose gets the most pressure through it, which is why the others can get away with less pressure, but with that being said you may want to go tighten up the others a little more.
That's definitely tighter than I have have it at now, thanks! I'll try that tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

jackdog1

UPDATE

Dropped my screwdriver and got out my ratchet, tightened all the clamps a lot more and now it stopped leaking.