n00b. WIth a question (of course!)

Mr. Steel

Hey all, I'm Mr. Steel. I just picked up a 98 Civic LX. I absolutely love this car. After driving it at night for the first time, I realized that I need to do something about the headlights. They just aren't very bright at all! I'll search around the forum to answer my question(s), but I figured I'll ask it in my own little intro.

Are weak headlamps in 96-98 a common problem? Is the pattern just really shitty with these lenses? Do the 99-00 lenses fit, and if they do, do they have a better beam pattern? Would it be worth investing into some E code lenses with H4s, or should I just say F it and buy some HIDs?

Thanks to those who will answer my question, and a big middle finger to those who didn't read my whole post and tell me to do a search before asking questions.

Jolting

You can switch it so that your lowbeams stay on with your highs. Its quick and will brighten up your highs quite a bit. Your lows will still suffer though.

HondaTech said:
Basically, you have to take the cover that is on the steering collumn off. Once this is done, you can removed the connector that is fastened to the backside of the turn signal switch. In the backside of the this connector, there are 7 slots. I attached a picture. After you do that, you will be able to see that you are moving the wire that is in slot B3 on the connector to slot B4. Another way to put it is that you will be moving the wire next to the only empty slot in the connector to the empty slot. That is all there is to it. Let me know if this doesn't explain well enough.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/patrickvertigo/Combinationswitch.jpg
Don't yank off the pins, just look at em and you should be able to see where you need to stick something.

There you go. Just go ahead and do that quick mod, should only take a few seconds. Your low beams will still be awful but your highs will be much better.

To take off the steering column there is 3 screws on the bottom of it. Then there is just some clips, once you unscrew it you should be able to figure it out, there is two halves. I had never even seen a diagram of how to take off the column but it was very simple.

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hello mr. steel, welcome to the forum. have you checked if the headlights are aimed properly? or maybe you just need to changed the bulbs . and no 99-00 headlights wont fit. as far as hids go, if you decide to put them on your current headlights there will be light scattered everywhere causing glare to on coming traffic. the best way to fix the problem is to do a retrofit on the headlights. but the only downside is that cost is a little steep, but you get what you pay for and final product looks flawless. you can search around for a couple of diy.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the bulbs are oem ones you can try changing them for new ones. Maybe some 5000k eBay lights for $20 will work. Also if your lens are hazy try cleaning them up too

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
silverstar makes some pretty bright bulbs. try those. only downside is they run about $40 a pair

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
fog lights.........i turn mine off at night to compare and i think to myself......how did i survive at night without the foglights..

exSedan

buy a headlight restoration kit and some good quality silvania bulbs dont get those chepo colored bulbs though they suck when it comes to visibility.

Mr. Steel

You can switch it so that your lowbeams stay on with your highs. Its quick and will brighten up your highs quite a bit. Your lows will still suffer though.
Maybe I should have been more specific. Low beams suck s**t right out of the ass.

hello mr. steel, welcome to the forum. have you checked if the headlights are aimed properly? or maybe you just need to changed the bulbs . and no 99-00 headlights wont fit. as far as hids go, if you decide to put them on your current headlights there will be light scattered everywhere causing glare to on coming traffic. the best way to fix the problem is to do a retrofit on the headlights. but the only downside is that cost is a little steep, but you get what you pay for and final product looks flawless. you can search around for a couple of diy.
Thanks for some quality information.

Just buy new bulbs, dont cheap out.
If I remember correctly, which isn't hard to do on a forum, I was talking about purchasing HIDs or a whole new lens. I still can't figure out which part of either of those is cheaper than just buying new bulbs.

silverstar makes some pretty bright bulbs. try those. only downside is they run about $40 a pair
I'm going to search around for some 5000-5500k bulbs and try them out before I decide whether or not to dive into HIDs, I'll look into these silver stars you speak of (I ran those in my last car, they were o.k.)

fog lights.........i turn mine off at night to compare and i think to myself......how did i survive at night without the foglights..
I wish I had the bumper to support factory fog lights. I refuse to purchase aftermarket lenses.

buy a headlight restoration kit and some good quality silvania bulbs dont get those chepo colored bulbs though they suck when it comes to visibility.
Colored bulbs are for 'tards and fog lights. "Are those broken lines white or yellow? I can't tell because I bought yellow headlights to look cool." No thanks.

And the common statement is to clean my lenses. I tried, but I just couldn't get the clear off of them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
they make clear ones too, you gotta look around.

they have a ton of kits on ebay, but if you go that route just keep in mind all kits aren't the same. some kids have issues with them (leaks, electrical issues, etc.), some don't. i have DEPO fogs i got from ebay. depo is a cheap aftermarket company.
yes, ive had leaks and electric issues but as long as you know how to use silicone and can do some basic wiring you'll be set. ive had mine for prob 4 yrs now i love them

example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-HONDA-CIVIC-2-3-4DR-OEM-FOG-LIGHTS-OEM-SWITCH-/200494266387?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eae63b813

Mr. Steel

they make clear ones too, you gotta look around.

they have a ton of kits on ebay, but if you go that route just keep in mind all kits aren't the same. some kids have issues with them (leaks, electrical issues, etc.), some don't. i have DEPO fogs i got from ebay. depo is a cheap aftermarket company.
yes, ive had leaks and electric issues but as long as you know how to use silicone and can do some basic wiring you'll be set. ive had mine for prob 4 yrs now i love them

example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-HONDA-CIVIC-2-3-4DR-OEM-FOG-LIGHTS-OEM-SWITCH-/200494266387?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eae63b813
I looked at these earlier today. I'd like to look behind the dash and see if my car has the pigtail for a factory fog light switch and do the same for the light pigtails. If so, then I'll just pick up some factory fogs and a switch.

Another thing, if I find that I don't have the pigtails (which I'm sure somebody will be able to tell me if I do or not), does a factory switch work with these ebay fog light harnesses? I want the car to be as close to stock looking possible.

Wiring is no issue, silicone is no issue (giggity).

khmaiboiremix

EM1 FNR CUSTOMS
ill go wit hid from ebay and fogs from there also run you about 90 dollars and will last you awhile. my friends cars are super bright like they said there is going to be a bad glare for on coming traffic with hids. but i think its will be ok if you have the reflectors it will be fine. hope that helped. and welcome

Mr. Steel

I found some gremlins today. I'm going to do a search to see if it's a common problem. If not, I'll ask while I'm chasing them down. I'd like to find them before I condemn the headlights.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I looked at these earlier today. I'd like to look behind the dash and see if my car has the pigtail for a factory fog light switch and do the same for the light pigtails. If so, then I'll just pick up some factory fogs and a switch.

Another thing, if I find that I don't have the pigtails (which I'm sure somebody will be able to tell me if I do or not), does a factory switch work with these ebay fog light harnesses? I want the car to be as close to stock looking possible.

Wiring is no issue, silicone is no issue (giggity).
the kit i bought came with everything i needed, relay switch, all wiring, all connectors, all hardware. granted i have light grey interior, and the switch they gave me was black, but it was an exact oem fit switch. it fit in one of the holes on the left of the steering column where its supposed to go, so i just use that. . i think my DEPO kit ran me $60.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If anything... What I would do is look at my headlights; if they're hazey or foggy, then I'd try to get them restored (process of rubbing compound, sanding, buffing, etc...). Then after that process is done, I'd go to an autoparts store and just pick up new bulbs like Silverstars. They're bright enough, and shoot out a clear/white color and not yellow, which is good enough for me.

BUT, you're not me, and you might have different views upon chosing the way your lights are... Just putting out my cheapest most effective opinion upon the matter. Good luck and welcome to the site!

Mr. Steel

If anything... What I would do is look at my headlights; if they're hazey or foggy, then I'd try to get them restored (process of rubbing compound, sanding, buffing, etc...). Then after that process is done, I'd go to an autoparts store and just pick up new bulbs like Silverstars. They're bright enough, and shoot out a clear/white color and not yellow, which is good enough for me.

BUT, you're not me, and you might have different views upon chosing the way your lights are... Just putting out my cheapest most effective opinion upon the matter. Good luck and welcome to the site!
Lol, I posted a pic of my car. The headlights are nowhere close to hazy.

I'm going to check the bulbs in the headlights, hopefully they aren't 55/60 and I can just make the cheap upgrade. If they are, I'm going to relay in a couple 80/100s.

Does anyone know if 80/100s will melt the lenses?

Oh, and you all want some good cheap bulbs?

rallylights.com

I'm also considering the HID from the given link earlier in this thread if 80/100s will melt my lenses or are unsatisfactory.