NA to boost exhaust solution?

hckyplya8

I did search and never quite found the answer i was looking for. I am picking up a full turbo kit so I am going to be boosting my D16y8. I am going to an exhaust shop to have a header back exhaust bent up but I want to get something that I could use for both Boosted or NA setup. I am wondering what size pipe to get its a 2.5 inch downpipe. I am only looking to be around 240hp also. I wanted to run 2.5 inch pipe with one resonator and a good muffler that will keep the noise down as much as possible. maybe run a high flow cat also. What are your guys suggestions?

Trekk

Registered VIP
Well for starters you need to know what size the flange on the down pipe is. The pipe it's self might be 2.5 but if the flange is only 2 inches everything after that is lost. I true 2.5 mandril bent pipe and flanges all the way back would be plenty. Don't get crush bent pipes.

A turbo it's self keeps the noise levels down, so it shouldn't sound raspy.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Go 3 inch exhaust. It's not ideal for NA, but can be done. Also, no cat. Straight pipe. Why are you wanting to go NA as well? Either boost, or don't. Also, 240hp out of D16Y8 is a humongous stretch. These little motors barely push 120hp. I think you'll be lucky if you can make 200hp.

EDIT: I should have re-iterated that whole post lol. 240hp on a daily driven single cam is stretching it. 240hp on a built block is very easy.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
240 hp on a built daily is perfect and not much of a stretch its all about your turbo really, now these people going for 350-400hp are stretching it.like stated above the turbo cuts back on alot of noise I'm running open downpipe and it sounds way better than most exhaust systems for a N/A civic. I wouldn't try for 3 in exhaust, I'm putting 2.5 in piping on right now and its a pain.my exhaust with vibrant muffler and turbo almost sound as low as a stock civic except when you get on it

hckyplya8

It's a ball bearing garret 50 trim turbo, p28 on chrome tuned at 10 psi by King Motorsports here, 360cc injectors, front mount, turbo XS bov, tial 38mm, custom log mani, with 3 inch to 2.5 inch down pipe. I am going to pick it up from the guy on Friday. That's why I asked about the exhaust. I have to drive on the highway everyday for work and don't want something that is going to drone super bad

95coupeWI

Registered VIP
Good to have another WI member, can't go wrong with King.. Just get a cut out, run that back to whatever muffler you want, then you wont have to worry, just flip the switch when you want more power.

hckyplya8

Will it be super loud with a cutout? And yeah there isn't many guys around here that are into the Honda scene. I might just do 2.5 straight pipe to vibrant muffler

Trekk

Registered VIP
Yes it will be loud with a cutout but not a raspy loud. 3 inch pipe normally is for 300+ whp. 4inch is good around 500+
Anyways since it reduces down to 2.5 putting 3 after it would be pointless unless you remade the down pipe a true 3 at the flange.

JeffBel

Registered VIP
E-cutouts and turbos are eh. I don't like playing around with backpressure like that

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No it won't I just finished welding mine up last night and it sounds hella quiet but way better than stock I will have to make a video for you. It's all 2.5 in from turbo back to muffler with no resonator and its a vibrant street performance I think

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its in the description on my video its a vibrant street performance 1046, you can get it on polished or flat black

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
to turbo a civic you have to convert to obd1 or use an stand alone ems which i chose obd1 honda ecu, obd1 cars only have one o2 which is before the cat so therefore it does not throw a code for having no cat

Trekk

Registered VIP
OBD2 starting coming standard on cars in 1996+ it's just a different type of ECM and has stricter emissions monitors. The biggest is the O2 after the cat to make sure you have one and its working. For some reason the Honda crowd never really got into the OBD2 tuning ( like the rest of the world ) since maybe it was just so easy to convert back.

Many GM's and Fords are well into the 1k WHP area running on stock unlocked OBD2 ECMs, that's not adding a piggyback or a chip, it's just reprogramming the parameters of the factory computer.