Need advice on new digital camera. Help meh Hatch of Doom and others!

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
whats going on guys?

so im now in the market for a new digital camera. I've been rocking my Sony Cybershot for several years now, and it was fine up until a while back when i really got into photography.

my question is this....what camera should i look for? my price range is under $500, and i'm looking for quality. I'd like to still be able to record video on it as well if possible.

let me know what you think!

thanks...

Jspec Ej6

Sam
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you put in another $100-$200 you could get a canon rebel xt

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You and I are in the same boat. I'm looking to get a D50 and you can usually find a whole kit under $500 on eBay. D50 is a pretty good camera from what i've been reading. i'm bidding on one right now so hopefully I win it.

Check out the review of the D50 at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You and I are in the same boat. I'm looking to get a D50 and you can usually find a whole kit under $500 on eBay. D50 is a pretty good camera from what i've been reading. i'm bidding on one right now so hopefully I win it.

Check out the review of the D50 at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/
The D50 is pretty much the best point and shoot camera out there.

However, the OP said he wanted to do video, which none of the Nikon D series can do.

The Canon G7 or S5 IS would be pretty solid choices, both shoot excellent photos (my mom has the S5 and has surprised me several times with it). The price is around your range and they can shoot some video as well.

A Nikon Cool Pix 5000 would work well for you as well and I've seen some lens attachments for it like a Wide angle and fisheye.

(I still use a Nikon Coolpix 950 for my point and shoot if I'm too lazy to get out the real camera.)

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, video isnt ALLL that important to me....i'd mainly jsut do some late night drag vids, and some pron shots...but nothing worth needing to be in HDTV quality....

i'll look into the d50

thanks!!!!

bmyers4321

timmy the testie rules!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can pick up a D50 for under 500 bucks with a lens if you look around. ya i know no video but it takes great pictures. i sold mine with a lens, card and everything that came in the box for $425.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's not a comparison. They didn't have the ISO's matched between the cameras. The lower ISO is ALWAYS going to give better definition and color.

They also use different lenses. A fair comparison would be same ISO (200 is the lowest a D50 can go) and the same lens from a third party producer that makes mounts for both cams.

Not saying one is better than the other, just saying their comparison is moot.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
That's not a comparison. They didn't have the ISO's matched between the cameras. The lower ISO is ALWAYS going to give better definition and color.

They also use different lenses. A fair comparison would be same ISO (200 is the lowest a D50 can go) and the same lens from a third party producer that makes mounts for both cams.

Not saying one is better than the other, just saying their comparison is moot.
the fact that the rebel xt has a lower iso is pretty much the point of that comparison
they were compared at their lowest iso showing that the canon is capable of crisper images

the comparison is very valid as it shows what both cameras are capable of straight out of the box

i'm not saying the d50 is crap, it's far from it. the conclusion of the review has allot of positive things to say about the d50 also

Overall conclusion

Unlike Canon when they produced the EOS 300D (Digital Rebel) Nikon chose not to cripple their affordable digital SLR. Instead the D50 while lacking some of the D70's features doesn't compromise performance or photographic flexibility, most important for first time buyers who (surely) the manufacturers hope will progress to a more expensive D-SLR later.

The D50's sensor and image processing pipeline are clearly different to that of the D70/D70s, it exhibits fewer of the moire/maze artifacts but at the same time isn't quite as crisp as its 'elder siblings'. That said the D50 is more than capable of producing some fantastic results, and is tuned to deliver bright and colorful images from the first exposure. If this isn't to your taste you can of course configure the image processing to produce D70-like images.

We were probably the most surprised by the D50's noise levels, Nikon has clearly spent time since the creation of the D70 on design changes to keep noise down. The D50 has the lowest noise levels of any of the affordable digital SLR's we've tested (although they're all fairly clean, we're talking fractions here).

The nicest thing about the D50 however is that it just feels right, build wise it's a step above the Canon EOS 350D and Pentax *ist DS, it's also not too small, I'm all for making cameras lighter but there's a limit as to how small you can make an SLR before the hand grip feels cramped and controls begin to get in the way. The D50 feels as responsive as any film camera and is a pleasure to shoot with. The only change I would make would probably be a larger viewfinder view (like that of the Pentax *ist DS).

I'm quite happy to give the D50 our highest rating, Highly Recommended, there's little to dislike and for anyone looking for an affordable digital SLR it has to be seriously considered. My only advice would be to research lenses and decide if you want to go with the Kit or spend a little more on a slightly better lens.

ferio-moreno

PS Veteran
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you want good picture and video.... get something from the Canon S IS series (S2,S3,S5...)

i cant believe that some people still recommend slr's to the average shooter....

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ well, to be fair, he kind of asked a loaded question.....it sounded average, but he worded it phrases like "been shooting for several years", and "a while back when i really got into photography".... :lol:

i was gonna reccomend a entry level dslr as well :lol: