Need assistance with a possible purchase... 89 CRX or 91 SI

Klatu

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm in the market for a used car in the $2,000 price range. Right now there are 2 cars that interest me.

91 civic si hatch with 5 spd, black, new paint job. Recon title. $2,000 (the guy said that he bought it from one of those insurance auctions where the front end was wrecked. said it costed him $300 + 3 hours labor to replace the front end but since it was "totalled" the title is reconditioned)

89 crx, recently installed a rebuilt mini-me and repainted it, still needs to paint the bumpers but runs good, 5 speed with crx si geers. 91 crx alloys painted black, falen azenis tires w/ lots of tread. not broken in yet, no insurance, 0 miles on the rebuild $2,000

That's all the info I have on them so far. I'm waiting on an email from the crx for pics and more info and the guy with the civic is going to email me details/pics on Monday.

I was wondering if either of these are good deals. I need a daily driver that I can make look semi-nice cuz I'm going to be "stuck" with it for the next year or so. My other option is a 1992 acura integra but it has 200k miles on it and he wants 2,000 firm. I'm not sure if I want a car with that many miles.

So if anyone can give me some advice, please, I really need it.

Joshua

scottyfordy

Mopar Muscle
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
But I thought Honda's where the last forever car... If you're looking to buy an Integra, you probably want it because it's a bit quick. Don't look at buying a 'quick' car that has 200 + on the engine. I can guarantee you it's be driven, so to say.

Buy the CRX is you want gas mileage. Buy the Si if you want gas mileage. No real difference. Both have the same 1.5l or 1.6l engine. Let it come down to price and the other obvious look at's when you buy a car.

If I had to buy one or the other (meaning the last two cars on earth), I'd pick the CRX.

Klatu

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can't find any other decent rides in my price range :dunno:

Klatu

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and the tumbleed rolls by

Styls255

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would get the SI, I have a 91 Civic CX the gocart version of that year but man there so reliable. I haven't really done anything to mine, but when winter is go i'm getting engine swap from a integra not sure what year but its got 140hp and 50,000K on it which isn't bad, and yeah i'm Canadian so I bought mine for $2600, its a good deal take it.

kustomize89

luv it or not???
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
both may have thier problems

On the 90 si, does not sound bad but to high on the price(salvage title means that if you sell it you can not get very much for it). Would offer him 1200-1500 with a salvage title. On the 89 mini-me sound ok but no miles means you may have uknown problems.

Styls255

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not 2 sure, mines all stock right now except for exterior things I have done.

phan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Re: both may have thier problems

Originally posted by kustomize89
On the 90 si, does not sound bad but to high on the price(salvage title means that if you sell it you can not get very much for it). Would offer him 1200-1500 with a salvage title. On the 89 mini-me sound ok but no miles means you may have uknown problems.
i agree completely. because of the salvaged/reconditioned title, i would try and offer him a bit less. with the crx, there is that chance of buying someone's headache...if you want to mod your car, i say buy something stock and do it yourself. :thumbup:

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ holy hell thats a pimp Rex

anyway go with the 91 Si.... 91s a great year

and Styls255 they made a 91 CX?? CX to my knowledge didnt come out until 92