Need Help and Advice Building a Turbo D16y8

KiD_Drew

Whats up club civic got some question that i need help answering. Wanna boost my 97 Civic 4dr ex 5 speed D16y8 motor, im looking to run high to mid 12's nothing too crazy. Wanna know the best route to go to get the best bang for my buck. not trying to break my pockets due to i have mortage and other bill that are more important. wanna take my time and get it done right. another not this is my dailey driver so if there is anyway to do some things and still drive it that be best for me till i gotta upgrade pistions and rods. would like to know in what order to buy things. thank u for ur help!!!!!!!

CO671

Registered VIP
You're so fortunate you have a y8 motor, that really gets rid of one problem in the way of turboing y7's.

Now the questions are, can you spend $2,000 on this, and park your Civic for a week or two or three.
Are there any existing problems with your vehicle now?
Do you have tools?
Do you know where to get parts machined/measured?
Do you know where to get your car tuned?
Don't start on turboing unless you are sure you can finish it..

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
I say buy you a used y8 or z6 do a simple vitara setup get your new block bored over for 75.5 pistons with some eagle rods. If you are going with y need to port oil pump. For turbo setup honestly unless you feel like piecing together a kit just buy a kit off of a decent site aka note ebay. You should not need anything to big i would suggest a small t3t4 turbo or even a gt28. That will allow you quick spool time. You can run those turbos on a stock block but why do that if it decides to crap out on you. When you have everything saved up and all your turbo kits take out the motor put in the new built one put on your turbo setup get it started and head to get it tuned.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont do vitaras and eagle rods it will be stupid low compression and be a slug out of boost. just buy a full kit or piece one together over time if your worried about bills. i bought turbo parts for a year and slowly installed the ones that wouldnt put my car down for a week like my boost gauges and oil adapter plate. i also test fitted my turbo stuff so i could weld up my piping piece by piece until i was ready to install it all and had the money for a tune. i got about 98% done installing every piece in about 5 hours when i ran out of welding wire to finish my last charge piping piece.no need to build a block right off the line if your worried about money, a stock block will handle 220hp easy on a good tune which should put you somewhere in the 13 second range

emerican

Registered VIP
I say buy you a used y8 or z6 do a simple vitara setup get your new block bored over for 75.5 pistons with some eagle rods. If you are going with y need to port oil pump. For turbo setup honestly unless you feel like piecing together a kit just buy a kit off of a decent site aka note ebay. You should not need anything to big i would suggest a small t3t4 turbo or even a gt28. That will allow you quick spool time. You can run those turbos on a stock block but why do that if it decides to crap out on you. When you have everything saved up and all your turbo kits take out the motor put in the new built one put on your turbo setup get it started and head to get it tuned.
^ for a dd like this car is for you this is the way to do it d series are a dine a dozen so you can find a y8 or z6 for cheap sit it on a stand and when you have the money for parts build it then once its done do like said above.
Most of the parts that go with a turbo build couldnt be put on a NA car without either a tune or forcing the car to be done for at least a little bit so i would do it the other way with a spare motor.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Id just put a turbo kit on first, if your serious about racing then go clutch, LSD, axles, d/r's before worrying to much about the motor. It doesn't matter how much power you make if you can't put it to use.

d16y8skunk2

i would have to say listen to civic21911. i tried to save 200 bucks on installing a stage 4 clutch 5 months ago clutch kit was 250 and the guy charged me 150 well he sanded my flywheel and hit it with a metal cookie grinder and f**ked my fly wheel up and my clutch burned out couse the F.W was uneven had waves in it and today i had to spend another 675 bucks in fixing it but it was done right and in a shop so 200 cost me 1,075 bucks which was money for turbo i was saving