need help asap! speedo isn't working!

gioalba

Swervin lanes in the 208!
5+ Year Member
as the title states my speedometer stopped working on my 94 eg hatch, any helpful answers please! thanks! :

Midnight_EG

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah to get it workin you gotta press the rightmost pedal, called the accelerator, it should climb steadily then.

Nah check out your speed sensor and the wiring, probably a frayed wire or it's loose.

95civicdude

5+ Year Member
first check all the wires behind the cluster, if that doesnt work replace the speedo sensor, if that doesnt work replace the cluster..... lol had the exact same thing happen to me

gioalba

5+ Year Member
yeah i sucks cause it only works when it wants to, lol im gonna have to go with ur idea, ill just have to replace the whole cluster,

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah i sucks cause it only works when it wants to, lol im gonna have to go with ur idea, ill just have to replace the whole cluster,
dont do that. go to the junk yard and pull one from a wreked car. then take it apart and remove the speedo. no need to replace the whole thing if the rest of it still works like it should. unless your going to do a sir cluster swap i guess

95civicdude

5+ Year Member
ya mine pretty much worked when it felt like it. some guy that totaled his car was parting it out and sold me his cluster for like 20 bucks, only difference now is i gotta take notes of the mileage that i put on the car

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ya mine pretty much worked when it felt like it. some guy that totaled his car was parting it out and sold me his cluster for like 20 bucks, only difference now is i gotta take notes of the mileage that i put on the car
you can change the millage on the cluster to match your old one. just dont make it less then it should be.

Finding Nismo

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you've already swapped the cluster once and you have the same problems, I'd look at the vss and wiring now.

gioalba

5+ Year Member
yeah i picked up a dx cluster and tested it and same problem, is it a pain to check through the wiring?

DOHCCivic

White EJ1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i got a dx cluster if u need another one but yes i have the same exact problem in my 94 ex but another thing u could try is remove the speed sensor and clean it i would try it but my motor isnt exactly in the car as of right now but i hear from some friends of mine it worked for them

95civicdude

5+ Year Member
no i swapped the cluster and now it works fine, i just wanted to know how to set the mileage back to what it was thx

1FastEX1994

^ROFLcopter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you dont necessarily have to REPLACE the speed sensor, just pull it out and clean the inside of the wire harness it clips onto, i had the same thing happen. fixed it in 10 minutes.

just make sure that theres no corrosion in the connectors. if that doesnt solve it, then yes, replacing it would be your best bet

CiViCs_RoK_18

JoRdO!
5+ Year Member
Anyone happen to know the order of the wires (by color) from left to right on the speedo sensor? mine are al loose and sum1 installed them in the wrong places.

CiViCs_RoK_18

JoRdO!
5+ Year Member
but i need to know simply what color wires goes to which terminal on the speedo sensor in the tranny? in order from right to left or vice versa? mine have never been connected right.