need help choosing an intake

armoOndo408

hey guys i need help choosing a intake for my DD, 99 civic ex
ive been told that they add a bit more HP and save a little more on gas??
is there a big difference between a cold air intake and a short ram?

which brands are the best, which would u recommend for me?
Thanks

FlipSkater079

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Buy an intake off ebay and put on an AEM dryflow filter.:thumbs up

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Buy an intake off ebay and put on an AEM dryflow filter.:thumbs up
right on the money.

this is exactly what i did, btw, go short ram if it's your DD and you don't wanna have to have nightmares about water when it rains..;)

i got a cheapo short-ram intake off egay, junked the generic filter and got a AEM Dryflow intake and it not only sounds sexy, (sorry...had to..) it'z mad JDM TyTee y00:shock:

Sidenote.. There's no reason to spend 200 on a piece of aluminum piping.... aluminum is aluminum no matter what sticker a comany puts on it. be smart save $$ for other upgrades=)

FlipSkater079

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just pick a short ram intake (If thats what you want, I reccomend it if your car is a DD) that looks good doesn't really matter. Make sure you get a different filter though!

jbwilliam

I couldn't find a short ram intake for my specific model so I ended up making a custom one. I cut the tubing for the stock piping, took out the air box, bought a 2"inlet to 3"outlet coupler at hardware store, slapped a spectra interchangable size filter on it and it sounds like a dream. Paid 25$ for everything. Very cheap. I didn't want a cold air cause I was afraid of water. So I made my own custom one cause I couldn't find any cheap ones that fit on a d16y8 on ebay just for the piping. So I made my own and it works perfect. (Also I did this because I'm doing a swap after this winter and It was kinda foolish to spend 200$ on an intake that wont fit my engine in a couple months.) QUICK FIX THATS WORKS LIKE A DREAM

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks guys.

so something like this should work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-Honda-Civic-EX-HX-SI-Short-Ram-Air-Intake-KIT-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2a9e6243QQitemZ400146981443QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and just replace the filter?

btw, is this something you can install by DIY? is it hard?
Yup that's exactly what I bought. It's not hard at all, few wires on 6th gen, one on 7th gen.
Simplest thing you can do to your engine.

1FastEX1994

^ROFLcopter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it's completely legal. all it does is make a more efficient way to conduct air into your engine .
theres no reason it would be illegal.

but personally, i prefer AEM. ebay piping may work, i havent tried.

Motaw

Ebay piping works. It's the filter that isn't too good. An AEM Filter goes around 30-40 bucks? But if you plan to keep you car for a while, scrap the ebay filter and get a name brand one.

1FastEX1994

^ROFLcopter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i had HEARD that ebay piping it sometimes low quality paint, that can chip and get sucked into your throttle body.
then the s**t hits the fan.

1FastEX1994

^ROFLcopter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also! just a warning.

never, EVER use one of those APC chrome mesh racing filters from autozone.

i learned that during my "Ricer" stage..
my Tb and Intake manifold were CAKED with grime when i took them off to clean and P&P

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
also! just a warning.

never, EVER use one of those APC chrome mesh racing filters from autozone.

i learned that during my "Ricer" stage..
my Tb and Intake manifold were CAKED with grime when i took them off to clean and P&P
the grime you saw was probably the oil buildup from the pcv valve