Need help Extremely ASAP Plz

Versatil

New 2 Honda's
Hope im in the right section.

now to the question i have a 95 civic with a mini i believe its called, upper half is vtec. well today i used the car all day long fine, but right around 9pm as im making a slow left turn off a stop sign it shut off on me. im also having fluctuating idle if i try to set it to 700-800rpms the car gets to the point where it wants to shut off after dropping very low, also i kinda have to set it to about 1000-1100 rpms for it to stay steady.

Now when i first bought the car it had a worst idling problem i checked cel code and it gave me Tps Sensor and i replaced it. ever since it was working fine until this happened today

also im not getting a cel code now, all else seems fine, car cranks strong but does not turn on, any suggestions as to what to check for, i was told it could be map sensor but not shure.

I NEED HELP ASAP AS IM CURRENTLY STAYING IN MY CAR AND I NEED IT TO MOVE AROUND.:(

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
could it be your idle control valve?

Versatil

New 2 Honda's
ok i took off and cleaned the idle control valve, like i had said it was super clean from previous cleaning. i found a cable loose and plugged it thinking that may be it, but it wasent. I dont have any other ideas and im starting to loose it. by the way the car is still cranking hard but not turning on.

tunerGONEbomber

i always blame O2 sensors on rough idles but thats just because i have had a bad history with them. it could be something along those lines. make sure the hose that connects to your mass air flow sensor is completely attached to you intake. they like to come off specially if you have an aftermarket CAI. past that your lookin at what has already been said as well as other vacuum hose problems.

Versatil

New 2 Honda's
i always blame O2 sensors on rough idles but thats just because i have had a bad history with them. it could be something along those lines. make sure the hose that connects to your mass air flow sensor is completely attached to you intake. they like to come off specially if you have an aftermarket CAI. past that your lookin at what has already been said as well as other vacuum hose problems.
everything seems to be connected fine, i was thinking about swaping map sensor from another vehicle to test if that is the problem if not than i can just scratch that one off. will a map sensor from a 97 accord work? is the only thing i have available since its by b. inlaws car.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is your fuel pump priming? Might be your main relay. The 5th gens have terrible main relays, bad solder connections.

Versatil

New 2 Honda's
everything seems to be connected fine, i was thinking about swaping map sensor from another vehicle to test if that is the problem if not than i can just scratch that one off. will a map sensor from a 97 accord work? is the only thing i have available since its by b. inlaws car.

Well i tried the map sensor swap with an honda accord it was exactly the same... that was a negative.

i worked on it all day, i called the inlaw he's a pro mechanic and knows everything there is to know, so he helped me diagnose over the phone and told me to check for spark from first sparkplug cable and there was no spark. He told me it might be that the ignition coil has gone bad. what do you guys think?

Versatil

New 2 Honda's
Is your fuel pump priming? Might be your main relay. The 5th gens have terrible main relays, bad solder connections.

sorry for the total noob question, but what do you mean by priming. im still getting to know hondas its my first one also.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just mean that you can hear it kick on (makes a mechanical whirring sound) when you turn the key to the "on" position (the one before it actually cranks). It is the second key position, first is the acc. The fuel pump is located under the rear seat so you should hear it loud and clear from inside the car.

When you turn the key to the "on" position you should hear 3 different clicks from the main relay which is located just behind the lower dash right under the fuse box on the driver's side. First click I think kicks on the fuel pump, second clicks as it stops priming, and the third is when the check engine light goes out. I haven't payed close attention in a long time but I think that is the order of the clicks. I know there should be 3 though.

Versatil

New 2 Honda's
I just mean that you can hear it kick on (makes a mechanical whirring sound) when you turn the key to the "on" position (the one before it actually cranks). It is the second key position, first is the acc. The fuel pump is located under the rear seat so you should hear it loud and clear from inside the car.

When you turn the key to the "on" position you should hear 3 different clicks from the main relay which is located just behind the lower dash right under the fuse box on the driver's side. First click I think kicks on the fuel pump, second clicks as it stops priming, and the third is when the check engine light goes out. I haven't payed close attention in a long time but I think that is the order of the clicks. I know there should be 3 though.
oh ok i know what u mean i ll check that out, i think it was tdoing that. ill let u know.

Versatil

New 2 Honda's
Quick Update:

I fixed the car yesterday, it did turned out to be the ignition coil. I replaced it and started up on the 3rd try.

thx to everyone for there help.