need help on takeing out stock airbox

sky9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i got a 96 cx civic hatchback, and im having a very hard time takeing out my airbox, theres a nut onthe clamp that i cant take out can any 1 show me how?

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

I lost my temper with it!!!!

The nut was facing the firewall and there was no room to get a socket or anything in. Its only (or was in my case) a jubilee clip.

Don't help much though does it...

Konig16

5+ Year Member
sky9 said:
ok i got a 96 cx civic hatchback, and im having a very hard time takeing out my airbox, theres a nut onthe clamp that i cant take out can any 1 show me how?
i hear its easy if you take off your front bumper i couldent get that bolt out eather though so i just cut it in like 3 places but if you wanna keep it i would just take the front bumper off some one else might know how to do it diffrent though not sure

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does this help...?

It's the nut that was on mine. It was a while back when I did it, but I can remember that there was no room to get a tool in, and then when I got it off I was thinking that there is physically no space to get a socket or something around the nut.

I guess you need a thin socket or pliers and very numble hands.

HTH

sky9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lonewolf said:
Does this help...?

It's the nut that was on mine. It was a while back when I did it, but I can remember that there was no room to get a tool in, and then when I got it off I was thinking that there is physically no space to get a socket or something around the nut.

I guess you need a thin socket or pliers and very numble hands.

HTH

omg yes thats the little devil that driving me crazy, wonder y they couldnt made it ez-er to take out.

any 1 got any tips on taking that $%^&* out?

Sirk

5+ Year Member
i undone the nut slighty then spun it around so i could get to, but it was a bastard to do, i'm pretty sure i ended up with cut hands =) i suggest lonewolf's way =)

98civichx

SILVER EJ7
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when i removed my factory airbox i just used a phillips and unscrewed it. the crackwhore who i let borrow my box's car was stolen freaking b***h:( it should just be easily unscrewed

sky9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
tahts the thing there isnt any room to put any tool in there to remove it.

Sirk

5+ Year Member
i used a screwdriver but it had a socket on the end, i forget there posh name :D

98civichx

SILVER EJ7
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can you rotate it around to get it too the front???? i know mine was facing the front towards the radiator. it should have a phillips head inside the 10mm head

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No its smaller than a 10mm, maybe an 8? There is no phillips head on it, just a slightly raised O with a line through it.

aizn

5+ Year Member
i had the same exact problem. what i did was i ripped the entire top part off... and that was hell.

after that, u have more room, but no wrench will b able to fit in it because of the design..so wat i did was i used a flat philips head and put it on top of the clamp that was attached to the gasket. i then used a hammer and hit it hard so that i got a gap between the gasket and clamp. then i juss that all the way around and i got the stupid clamp off. it was very tiring, but rewarding. lol

if you wanted to keep the airbox, then im not sure how to remove it, but if u wanted to break it, then i suggest u do wat i did and rip the top part off.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It will come off if you pull and wiggle... Don't need to loosen it before the box is actually off. Its not hard. lol at the broken box.

sky9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
It will come off if you pull and wiggle... Don't need to loosen it before the box is actually off. Its not hard. lol at the broken box.
iono i tired that many times. no luck