Need Help Please!

95 EJ Coupe

Well I bought this 1995 Honda Civic DX (American Car) with D15(that I don't think is original) a few days ago and it does have its problem but one I am not too sure about and happy about is that I think it is burning oil. The first time I began to worry about this was when I was checking the spark plugs out, and the plug in cylinders 3 and 4 were covered/coated in oil :x(cleaned them and put them back and no more oil on them after that), and to top it off I accelerate the car and it smokes some blue(oil I believe). What should I do? What can this problem be? I have heard oil rings or valve seals:?:.

JRcivic97

5+ Year Member
Try putting some rich gas into it and use only honda's oil when changing.

95 EJ Coupe

Thanks I will try that. Well I was thinking of draining the crappy oil the previous owner put in it and then throwing something else in it and if it still smokes blue, its either compression test to find out what or a swap for something else maybe another D15/16 or B18. I don't know. I just need to see what experienced people say it is.

Jason-

jdm king :p
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Possible head gasket problem? Replace rings? Do a total tune up on the motor, ONLY if you want to keep the current motor, or get the exact same replacement motor. No need to waste money is your going to ditch it for a new motor, you know? Compression test? Leak down test?

-Jason

95 EJ Coupe

I am gonna try the compression test today and see what she says. One question though. If the car doesnt smoke blue on startup and the compression reading are good, is it the valve seals then? I have heard it could be the PCV, any truth behind this?

95 EJ Coupe

Dry Compression:150-155 across in each. Wet Test Compression:180-190 with one 210(dont think I did that right but it could be). Tell me if thats normal.

92h22eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ya head gasket...bummer...just swap an LS motor...cheap and effective.

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not always. There can be many different spots for the Gasket to blow. Remember the Prelude when it blew?

eg8hardcore

5+ Year Member
Well I bought this 1995 Honda Civic DX (American Car) with D15(that I don't think is original) a few days ago and it does have its problem but one I am not too sure about and happy about is that I think it is burning oil. The first time I began to worry about this was when I was checking the spark plugs out, and the plug in cylinders 3 and 4 were covered/coated in oil :x(cleaned them and put them back and no more oil on them after that), and to top it off I accelerate the car and it smokes some blue(oil I believe). What should I do? What can this problem be? I have heard oil rings or valve seals:?:.
wow, some of these responses actually amaze me. To all those that say check the head gasket or even the rings, A+ for having an idea wether it's wrong or right. Then of course are those that say something like just swap it. From the compression you listed i am thinking a blown head gasket. And you are correct, the d15b is not the original engine in a USDM dx civic. The stock motor is the D15b7.

As for my contribution to your problem, I would say the head gasket is the most likely cause. If it isn't really bad, you can get some stuff called blue devil and pour it in the radiator. It will fill in holes and gaps along the head. The coolant does not always change color depending upon where the crack is. I only suggest blue devil or something similiar if the problem is very minimal. I know some mechanics that have used it so i know it works, but I can never really condone pouring gunk into your radiator when a shaved head and replaced gasket is needed. But it is much much cheaper, somwhere around $50 for a bottle, only takes about half a bottle for your little 1.5 engine.

Next time you let the car idle for a while, go ahead and check your exhaust, see if you have any liquid in addition to the smoke coming out. If so, it is definately a blown headgasket.
95 EJ Coupe said:
I was thinking the rings are fried. But you never know.
good idea, but i doubt it as the compression is off.

95 EJ Coupe

Not always. There can be many different spots for the Gasket to blow. Remember the Prelude when it blew?
I know exactly what you mean and the more and more I think and look at it the more and more I am starting to think it is the head gasket. eg8hardcore thanks for the recommend on the blue devil. Well when I replaced the exhaust and catalytic convertor, not long after there was black soot all over the inside of the tailpipe of the new exhaust. So what I am thinking there is an internal hairline fracture on the head gasket, that is just enough to cause a problem but not change performance.

95 EJ Coupe

I know for sure its oil burning. Well now to update on this problem. I replaced the headgasket with a Honda OEM Headgasket from Honda and so far the oil burning continues. Something with the head maybe?