Need help! Which cv axle should I buy?

milagro33

5+ Year Member
Hi Everyone!

Im a total noob here. I have a 1996 honda civic ex coupe with a manual transmission. When I bought it I was told it had a swapped JDM engine. Engine code is D16y7 which is from the LX civics I think. I really need to replace my cv axles but I need to buy the right ones. I read that you either need cv axles for US built or Japanese built. My VIN starts with a 1 so its us built but is there any way to be 100% the engine is JDM? I dont want to deal with the hassle of sending them back! Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jdm d16y7...

:popcorn:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A simple google search wouldve saved you some time.

milagro33

5+ Year Member
Good point. I looked up Wikipedia that's how I found the y7 was from the lx but I couldn't find anything about the y7 only being usdm. I was told the engine was used from Japan.

milagro33

5+ Year Member
Well thanks a lot for the info man! I appreciate it. This means its not a vtec right?! How disappointing!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just because it has a non vtec block doesnt mean it doesnt have a vtec head. Look for the vtec solenoid on the passenger side of the valve cover. If u dont see one then its not vtec

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And no problem. Just do some research. Theres a lot to learn about these cars but its all been done before and the info is out there in abundance.

milagro33

5+ Year Member
Ok thanks a lot ! I really appreciate all your help. Just have one last question! Say it is a vtec head. When I order or replace parts, say spark plugs, would I gap them to ex specs since its vtec? Say I wanted to replace distributor same thing? Just want to know if I should he buying parts for an ex if its vtec thanks.

milagro33

5+ Year Member
I did.some.research but it was conflicting. Some ppl said there's no way a d16y7 could use a vtec head some said it could so I I didn't know who to.believe lol

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
The y7 can use a z6 or y8 head. Both heads r vtec. Take a picture of your engine bay n we can tell you if you have vtec or not

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2