Need Help with 00' Civic Upper Grill

Mortasaurus

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Has anyone made a DIY upper grill for a 99-00 Civic? The how to's for the 96-98 don't work. The front part is connected to the brackets that are needed for holding the grill in place and I couldnt see any way to do it. Could someone please help me out if they have done it before. Thanks a lot.

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not sure what you mean by "connected to the brackets because i have a 99" but it should be remotely the same. you just have to cut the inside out with a dremel or small tool saw and then mesh it up from behind.

Mortasaurus

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well what part did you cut out? There is the front frame that comes off and with those 6 little screws or whatever it is and behind that is the main grill with the Honda Emblem and everything on it. Did you cut middle of that part out and then pinch the grill between the outer frame and the inner part? It just seems to me that if I were to cut the middle part out with the Honda Emblem on it that it would weaken the structure and the brackets, if I am not mistaken, are connected to the middle of the grill. It has been a while since I had it out so I am not entirely sure but I seem to remember there being a problem with just cutting the middle of that grill out and putting the mesh between the outer frame and the back.

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i didnt have to do this, i have a 99 si...that grill comes stock on my car. but im almost positive you just need to cut the inner part with the honda emblem out. of course the structure will be weaker but that is inevitable is it not? taking out the inside support would weaken it either way. anyways wait for somebody else to come through because i've never had to do this and i dont want to f**k your s**t up, but thats what i think you do. good luck :lol:

Mortasaurus

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well thanks for the help sir. I will wait and see if anyone knows any more otherwise I will just take it apart again and figure something out on my own. I did the lower grill and the fog light holes but it looks lame with the little honda emblem up front and just popping that off is LAME.

Team2000

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Was looking at that on my car today also.. and as far as I can see I would have to remove the whole front of my car. I did take out 6 semi thumb screws and then there were two hex screws in the back I could not reach... *shrugs*

Mortasaurus

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well I have had the whole bumper off and taken the upper grill out and the frame around it the problem I found was that if I cut out the front of the grill so that the mesh looked nice I would ruin the brackets that hold the grill in place

98civichx

SILVER EJ7
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i did my gril last night took off the bumper and then the grill itself. i cut the h emblem out with a hack saw blade NOT IN THE HACKSAW for flexibility. i cut it flush with the rest of the frame. then took time to use a razor lade and exacto knife to make att the tabs left smooth. do not cut above the slits on the face your outer frame goes into them and holds the inner frame up so it can be mounted. i used fire place screen for my insert. looks really good. pic will be posted as well. will do pics on another thread called 98civichx grill.

x007den

New User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the how to is for 96-98 for a reason. the grills are diff. from the 99-00.

x007den

New User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mortasaurus said:
Well thanks a lot for your help 98civichx. That definately helps.
he has a 98, his grill is diff. then yours

Mortasaurus

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh yeah. I guess I didnt even think about it. I can't imagine it is that hard to figure out anyway. Just cut some stuff off and tie some stuff on =) It's that easy.

98civichx

SILVER EJ7
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sorry dude i guess if i wouldve read further and saw yours was a 00 i wouldve known that it is different but i know if i saw it i could tell you an easy way and fast way to do it. if it helps mine only took 2 hours to do from start to fininsh

Frostee

OMG?! IS IT A HONDER!?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, im putting together my 00 civic grill DIY guide right now, hold on gimmie 20 minutes...

Frostee

OMG?! IS IT A HONDER!?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ugh im sorry the guide is 10MB... I think its cuz my pics are so high quality im sorry :-( Anyone know how I can host a 10MB Word File w/ pics?

Rubixcu7

Not Fittin In...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can someone get a hold of this? i would .like a diy grill before the photoshoot on sunday... peace...

ryanM

if you cut out the center doesnt that leave two big slots in the sides where the center bar was?

charles_00Civic

CC'S Longest Running Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just take out the grill, dremmel out the inside.. smooth it out and mesh it up if you want.. with no mesh you done even need to remove all those little screws..

iloveS-ilver-EX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just did it yester day on my 99 ex. just use the instructions form the grillmaster page and buy the grill gaurd at home depot i got 3ft by 8 ft for $5.80. what i did is cut the piece to fit in between the outline color part and the black plastic part, i did no cutting at all. i took of the "H" from the black part and placed it on top of the grill. i must warn u its hard work to cut it perfect and u need a secound person to put the two pieces back together because u have to put the screws in tight to hold the grill. ima post a pic around 4p pst when i get home. total mod cost me 5.80 + 3 1/2hrs and if u dont like it i can remove the grill and put it to original form besides the "H" part but i can probably glue that back in too.