Need help with power door lock problem

Mugen DC5

Back to a civic
5+ Year Member
well, i swapped the insides and coverted everything to power windows and locks, but the thing is the power window works but the power locks don't someone said that i need to give power to the motor but i'm not too sure on what he means

jcsm90

KiNg
5+ Year Member
off topic- how muc did you pay to covert and what did you need to do it?
i ask cuz my windows and locks are manuel and i want to covert to power

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do you have the Power Lock Control Box? I know in the 96-98 Civic its a Blue Box that connects to the Driver Side Door Harness, I'm not too sure if its the same for the 99-00 though.

Also make sure you connected the Power Lock Actuators to the Door Harnesses on each side.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Like I said, I have no idea if its in the same location in the 99-00 Civics as in the 96-98 Civics, I know somethings change within the years for the Power Window/Lock/Mirror Conversion. Anyways, here is a picture of where it is located in the Driver Side Harness for the 96-98 Civics, its the Blue Box you see there to the upper right:

EDIT:
After doing some light searching I read up that on the 99-00 Civics, the Power Lock Control Box is located behind the Driver Side Kick Panel. So make sure that you have that box there. Also, I believe that it plugs into the Dash Harness and not the Floor or Door Harness on the 99-00 Civics, so if that's the case you will have to pick up the Dash Harness and swap that as well in order to have the Power Locks working on your 99-00 Civic. If I were you though, I would do a little more research to confirm this though.

Mugen DC5

Back to a civic
5+ Year Member
my hatch is a 96 lol i'm wondering why you're talking about 99-00 but i don't think i have that blue box though... soooo if i were to get that blue box i should get it from the 99 civic or just from any random civic?

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my hatch is a 96 lol i'm wondering why you're talking about 99-00 but i don't think i have that blue box though... soooo if i were to get that blue box i should get it from the 99 civic or just from any random civic?
Well your Hatch might be a 96 but you sourced your power conversion off a 99 Civic, which is why its not working. There is a difference between the 96-98 and the 99-00 Harnesses, they are not interchangeable. I bet you're throwing an CEL Code for a Circuit Problem with that 99-00 Floor Harness on your 1996 Hatch.

You should've gotten a 96-98 EX Floor Harness & 96-98 EX Door Harnesses for your 1996 Hatch to do this properly. Then the other parts could've been off any 96-00 Civic EX.

You cannot get the Blue Box and connect it to the 99 Harness you have because it wont plug into it. You need to get the Power Lock Control Box from a 99-00 EX, its behind the Driver Side Kick Panel and then while you're at it, check to see if it connects to the Floor Harness or to the Dash Harness. If it connects to the Floor Harness, then you're good just get the box and connect it. However, if it connects to the Dash Harness you will need to remove it as well and swap it out if you want to have Power Locks.

jb0ne

Banned
im having a related problem so i figured i'd ask here.

My passenger door was clearly replaced at one point in time. The automatic locks werent ever hooked up.

I've read over this topic and apparently im going to have to "plug it in" to the blue control box on the driver side.

What wire will i be plugging in and where is it located?

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ Is yours a 96-98? If so, just make sure that the passenger side Door Harness is hooked up to the Floor Harness. Also make sure that the Passenger Side Power Lock Actuator has the Plug connected to it. That's all you have to do. You dont need to connect it to the Blue Box, the wires are already there and run through the Floor & Door Harness to it.

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well your Hatch might be a 96 but you sourced your power conversion off a 99 Civic, which is why its not working. There is a difference between the 96-98 and the 99-00 Harnesses, they are not interchangeable. I bet you're throwing an CEL Code for a Circuit Problem with that 99-00 Floor Harness on your 1996 Hatch.

You should've gotten a 96-98 EX Floor Harness & 96-98 EX Door Harnesses for your 1996 Hatch to do this properly. Then the other parts could've been off any 96-00 Civic EX.

You cannot get the Blue Box and connect it to the 99 Harness you have because it wont plug into it. You need to get the Power Lock Control Box from a 99-00 EX, its behind the Driver Side Kick Panel and then while you're at it, check to see if it connects to the Floor Harness or to the Dash Harness. If it connects to the Floor Harness, then you're good just get the box and connect it. However, if it connects to the Dash Harness you will need to remove it as well and swap it out if you want to have Power Locks.
The power door lock reciever is in the radio unit on a 96-98. You will not get things to work if you use the 99-00 floor harness. 96-98 civics need the stock radio wired for the power door locks and usually tuck it behind the dash if they want to use an aftermarket head unit.

Mugen DC5

Back to a civic
5+ Year Member
Like I said, I have no idea if its in the same location in the 99-00 Civics as in the 96-98 Civics, I know somethings change within the years for the Power Window/Lock/Mirror Conversion. Anyways, here is a picture of where it is located in the Driver Side Harness for the 96-98 Civics, its the Blue Box you see there to the upper right:

EDIT:
After doing some light searching I read up that on the 99-00 Civics, the Power Lock Control Box is located behind the Driver Side Kick Panel. So make sure that you have that box there. Also, I believe that it plugs into the Dash Harness and not the Floor or Door Harness on the 99-00 Civics, so if that's the case you will have to pick up the Dash Harness and swap that as well in order to have the Power Locks working on your 99-00 Civic. If I were you though, I would do a little more research to confirm this though.
so the power lock control box is suppose to be installed where that is in the picture there? i don't have it i just checked... so i'd have to get it from the 99 and install it at that spot?

flameoncloud9

5+ Year Member
is there any way that you could tell me exaclly how you did the conversion?? im a novice and i not exactly sure wat im doing and dont wanna f**k it up

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so the power lock control box is suppose to be installed where that is in the picture there? i don't have it i just checked... so i'd have to get it from the 99 and install it at that spot?
Technically yes, because your car is a 96-98. However, its is not the case in your situation because you used a 99-00 Floor Harness and 99-00 Door Harnesses, you are suppose to use the Harnesses off a 96-98 EX when doing the Power Conversion on a 96-98 Civic, same applies for a 99-00 Civic you are suppose to use 99-00 EX Harnesses. The 99-00 Harnesses you are using have the Power Lock Control Box located behind the Driver Side Kick Panel and connect to the Dash Harness.

In theory (never tried it), you will need to swap out your Dash Harness for a 99-00 EX Civic one and then you'll be able to connect the appropriate Power Lock Control Box behind the Driver Side Kick Panel and have working Power Locks. Again, this is all in theory because it is not meant to be done this way - it's your fault for not doing the appropriate research before you began doing this.

My personal recommendation is to remove your 99 EX Floor Harness and the Door Harnesses and sell them. With that money you can buy the 96-98 EX Floor Harness and the Door Harnesses, then you will be able to do everything smoothly and trouble free without any issues.

jb0ne

Banned
^ Is yours a 96-98? If so, just make sure that the passenger side Door Harness is hooked up to the Floor Harness. Also make sure that the Passenger Side Power Lock Actuator has the Plug connected to it. That's all you have to do. You dont need to connect it to the Blue Box, the wires are already there and run through the Floor & Door Harness to it.
Okay sweet, but now to identify the Door Harness and Floor Harness; like my power windows and everything are connected and working. Anyone got a pic of where the floor harness is located?

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay sweet, but now to identify the Door Harness and Floor Harness; like my power windows and everything are connected and working. Anyone got a pic of where the floor harness is located?
Floor Harness is underneath your Carpet. The Door Harness is behind your Door Panel. Remove your Passenger Side Door Panel and make sure that your Power Lock Actuator is connected to the Harness via the appropriate plug.

Quick question, does your Driver Side Power Lock work or no? If the answer is yes, then your Passenger Side Power Lock Actuator is either not connected or damaged and needs to be replaced. If the answer is no, then remove the Driver Side Door Panel and make sure that you have the Power Lock Control Unit in there. It's the Blue Box shown in the pic I posted a few posts up.

Thomas uk

hey guys i have a 2000 Honda civic ex 2 door but the car was stolen so they took everything that has to do with power window and power lock so now I'm trying to put the power windows and the power locks back in the car again. so this is what i got so far i got the diver side window wiring harness from 1998 Honda civic ex 4 door but my question is that i don't know if that will work with my 2000 civic ex and also the car is missing wiring harness that go to the passenger side door from the dash but i don't know how wiring harness look like and have no idea how it go in the car so if you guys can help me that would be awesome

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey guys i have a 2000 Honda civic ex 2 door but the car was stolen so they took everything that has to do with power window and power lock so now I'm trying to put the power windows and the power locks back in the car again. so this is what i got so far i got the diver side window wiring harness from 1998 Honda civic ex 4 door but my question is that i don't know if that will work with my 2000 civic ex and also the car is missing wiring harness that go to the passenger side door from the dash but i don't know how wiring harness look like and have no idea how it go in the car so if you guys can help me that would be awesome
You should really make a new thread about your issue, rather than bumping a 2 year old thread. You're new, so just letting you know for future reference.

That said, you need the Driver Side Door Harness off a 99-00 Civic 2DR EX, you cannot use the 1998 4DR EX Door Harness you bought. You have to stay year specific for a 99-00 Civic you need 99-00 Civic Harnesses, for a 96-98 Civic you need 96-98 Civic Harnesses. Also, has to be from a 2DR if your car is a 2DR.

Also, the harness that connects the Driver Side to the Passenger Side is called the Floor Harness. It is underneath your carpet and it runs from the Underdash Fuse Box all the way to the Passenger Side Door Harness (with connectors at the Fuel Pump, E-Brake, Rear Harness, and other misc places).

If they took everything that has to do with the Power Window/Locks/Mirror you will need all the following items (pay attention to year range):
- 99-00 Civic EX (2DR) Door Harnesses (Driver & Passenger Side)
- 99-00 Civic EX (2DR) Floor Harness
- 96-00 Civic EX (2DR) Power Window Regulators (Driver & Passenger Side)
- 96-00 Civic EX (2DR) Power Lock Actuators (Driver & Passenger Side)
- 99-00 Civic EX (2DR) Power Lock Control Box (White Box located under driver side kick panel)

There are other stuff you will need, I'm sure, kinda in a hurry as I type this. For example, you need to make sure you still have the 3 20A Fuses, the Relays, Control Switches, Power Door Panels, etc.