need help with this turbo situation

jesseg

so i pulled the turbo out of my 92 civic eg hatch and this is something the original owner did but it seems as though the header,s hub, and exhaust pipe out of the hub are all just welded together. the bolt holes of the hub are all filled in. we pulled the turbo because it needs to be rebuilt but we cant even separate the hub from the header. i dont know anything about turbos but it looks to me that total replacement would just be the smarter and cheaper way to go. has anyone ever had/done this to theirs or seen this and does anyone have any suggestions

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

What do you mean by hub, the turbo turbine housing? The turbine housing should be bolted to the turbo manifold, aka (header). The downpipe (exhaust) should be bolted to the turbine housing as well. If it's welded together, which seems to be the case if the bolt holes are filled, I'd recommend replacing that entire section. It sounds like the turbo setup was half-assed together, which is probably why it needs rebuilding now, unfortunately.

jesseg

:welcome:

What do you mean by hub, the turbo turbine housing? The turbine housing should be bolted to the turbo manifold, aka (header). The downpipe (exhaust) should be bolted to the turbine housing as well. If it's welded together, which seems to be the case if the bolt holes are filled, I'd recommend replacing that entire section. It sounds like the turbo setup was half-assed together, which is probably why it needs rebuilding now, unfortunately.
like i said no idea about turbos so i do believe what i called the hub is the housing but replacement is what i figured too but yes this system was built in a half ass way even the piping is common household pluming piping

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, I'd remove the piping, turbo, and exhaust manifold, and get replacements. Do you know if the car is tuned and / or what it's tuned on? Half ass build could mean half-ass or no tune, which means you could be replacing parts just for them to break again...

jesseg

Yeah, I'd remove the piping, turbo, and exhaust manifold, and get replacements. Do you know if the car is tuned and / or what it's tuned on? Half ass build could mean half-ass or no tune, which means you could be replacing parts just for them to break again...
when we got the car it was in need of a tune so we got that done for the set up but since we have to replace all the parts im just unfortunately going to have to tune it again when its all done

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Pics would help.

The turbine housing is what you are referring to, sounds like they couldn't find the right flange to make a proper downpipe so they welded the exhaust to the turbo. Precision engineering right there.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The turbine housing is what you are referring to, sounds like they couldn't find the right flange to make a proper downpipe so they welded the exhaust to the turbo. Lazy engineering right there.
FTFY ;)

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If turbine housing is welded to the manifold I would buy a new manifold and and new turbine housing then build the turbo, seems cheaper that was but might just be better to get a whole new turbo. I recommend go autoworks for your turbo needs

daperez13

Respected
I agree with xxBLOOD88SHOTxx.

Post some pictures up so that we can get a better understanding of what you're referring to. Given that it's a "half ass" build, you may be better off removing the entire kit (if you want to call it that) and going back to stock...for now. I know this is not what you want, but this is just temporary until you can peace it back together with better parts.

What kind of engine and turbo do you have?