Need Help

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm having some major problems getting my car tuned. I know it's not a Honda, but i'm wondering if any of you have seen anything like this before.

The datalog is showing everything like a stair step. Tach, RPM, Air Flow signal, etc all jump around. Speed is jumping 10+ mph in some places. This is also showing up in the cluster.

We've swapped the computer, cluster, and speed sensor to no avail. We've also disconnected power to any aftermarket electronics (boost controller, turbo timer, and stereo).

Here's a screenshot of the datalog. I've got the entire datalog if anyone wants to look at it. I don't have a place to host it at the moment, but i can email it.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what tuning program is this? we need alot more info to make a hypothesis

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SCT.

It's not just the tuning software or the computer used to grab the datalog. This is showing up in the tach and speedometer as well. They will freeze and then jump, just like the graphs.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks like a stuggle between sensors and ECU... But then again, i have/will never own a FORD but what did the Mustang forums say?

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks like a stuggle between sensors and ECU... But then again, i have/will never own a FORD but what did the Mustang forums say?
Wiring or RF interference.

We've gone over all the wiring, cut power to all aftermarket electronics (my gauges, boost controller, radio, and turbo timer). We've put an oscilloscope on the crank and speed position sensors to see what they're doing, and they look good on the sensor end.

As for interference, we've run the car without the alternator, unplugged the ABS system (not sure how that would cause any interference, but the tuner wanted to try it). We're not having any misfires and the car runs great, so we don't think it's in the coils. Can't think of anything else that would cause enough interference to cause this many problems with as many different sensors.

The mustang forums aren't really giving me any answers we haven't already tried. My posts on most forums are just getting ignored.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
man the possibilities after all of the work u have done are endless..

hmm, stock ecu with a chip or what?
what size injectors did u go with?
thats really f**king weird..

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
man the possibilities after all of the work u have done are endless..

hmm, stock ecu with a chip or what?
what size injectors did u go with?
thats really f**king weird..
Seriously.

Stock ECU w/ chip. We've swapped the ECU from another car, no change. I'm starting to wonder if it could be the chip. I'll have to talk with the tuner about that tomorrow. We've never tried another chip as far as i know.

I had 60lb injectors for the break in tune. I'm running 80's now.

I'm going to give it another week and a half. If nothing changes, the car is going somewhere else.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my guess is its an interpretation error... i honestly dont know how though. maybe wrong or crossed wire somewhere. it can be a number of things. have you tried using a different program? or maybe an earlier version of the same program?

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my guess is its an interpretation error... i honestly dont know how though. maybe wrong or crossed wire somewhere. it can be a number of things. have you tried using a different program? or maybe an earlier version of the same program?
It's showing up on the gauge cluster too though. It's not just the datalog that is weird.

Looking at the raw data shows the problem. The sensor will freeze at a certain value and then updates a few seconds later.

The tuner is using the same program and laptop on multiple cars and isn't seeing this on any other cars. It rules out the tuners equipment.

We might have some wiring issues. Especially with all the aftermarket stuff added with the turbo install, but he says he's gone over all the wiring and everything looks good. Not sure how much i trust him on that though.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
We might have some wiring issues. Especially with all the aftermarket stuff added with the turbo install, but he says he's gone over all the wiring and everything looks good. Not sure how much i trust him on that though.
i dont see how thats possible if its not an equipment malfunction. it has to be in the wires somewhere if your gauge cluster is doing the same thing. it could very well be a bad sensor also.

and i know youve said youve tried different computers, but have you tried different chips? maybe its just the chip that is bad and its causing your guage cluster to be shitty as well

Last edited:

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont see how thats possible if its not an equipment malfunction. it has to be in the wires somewhere if your gauge cluster is doing the same thing. it could very well be a bad sensor also.

and i know youve said youve tried different computers, but have you tried different chips? maybe its just the chip that is bad and its causing your guage cluster to be shitty as well
I'm going to talk to the tuner about the chip tomorrow. As far as i know we haven't swapped chips.

And it's not any of the sensors. The problem is showing up in multiple sensors. We've put them on an oscilloscope to check the actual signal and they all look good. We also swapped out the speed sensor for good measure. Didn't help.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
damn man, youve been having problems with this tuner for it seems months... hope you get it straightend out

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you tried the chip replacement?
Been trying to call the tuner all week and haven't been able to get a hold of him.

I'm starting to get pissed. I'm told almost every other day that he'll call me back, but never does.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does sound like it could be the chip..
i hope u werent being facetious with ur reply earlier..