Need opinions on an upcoming purchase

demoniclizard

5+ Year Member
Hey I don't really know much about cars but I've been wanting some new wheels for my black civic cause the stock ones look kind of crappy (and get dirty fast too). I finally saved enough money and found a few styles I liked. I was going for a 5 or 6 spoke wheel with a gun metal finish that wasn't too expensive. The best I could find were motegi dp6 wheels that come mounted and balanced with 205/40 toyo proxes fz4. They were asking $699 plus $99 shipping and that seemed like a pretty good deal compared to the 800-1000 from most other places.

Since they were ordered though I've been reading up a lot about some people with 17 inch wheels on their civic and how it makes the ride unbearably harsh and possiblities of tire rubbing against the sidewall. Theres also been a lot about how its going to slow my car down and increase breaking distance. I am not all that worried about getting the absolut best performance from my car (its a civic nuff said) but I wouldn't want to be struggling up all the hills and getting passed up by geo metros. Does anyone whos made an upgrade from stock to 17 inch wheels, possibly the same ones as mine have any feedback for how it affected the performance? Also there seems to be a lot of people talking about how they bent a wheel going over potholes. How often does that happen and how careful will I need to be driving to avoid this? I suppose it has to do with how good the wheels your driving on are, and what tires your using but im not sure how well these wheels im buying holdup.

Also will I need to get an alignment once I put them on?

If anyone has some knowledge to give me about this it would be appreciated. If im making a big mistake someone please slap me and I will go cancel my order...

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, I asked pretty much the same question here when I first got the civic. The majority would say go for 16's. That is what I ended up getting riding on 45 series tires. BTW, those Toyos are nice. I had'em until some ass slashed them for me. :evil:

With 16's, I do notice some minor slowdown vs. stock steelies, but nothing to worry about. The weight of the rim can be an issue depending what size you get. You shouldn't need an alignment just for changing rims. Since I have the 45 series, it helps a lot when you hit those unexpected potholes so I've been pretty lucky so far. Good luck on the purchase and a lot of members are going to tell you to drop the car when you put your rims on.

demoniclizard

5+ Year Member
Ok I made a bid on ebay for some 17 inch dp6s but since you guys are all saying 16 would be better I'm looking other places. Does anyone have any suggestions for 16 inch wheels, gun metal? Maybe some pictures of cars with 16s vs cars with 17s?

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm black rims would always look nice on a black car.

demoniclizard

5+ Year Member
itsmycookie said:
hmm black rims would always look nice on a black car.
Yeah i've seen a lot of pictures and I think they would look perfect. I just don't know wether to go with 16 or 17. The ones I like best only come in 17 or bigger, but the majority on this forum agree that 17 is too big and it will compromise ride quality too much, not to mention looking too big too. I don't make that much money so when I spend it I always gotta procrastinate like this...

demoniclizard

5+ Year Member
demoniclizard said:
Yeah i've seen a lot of pictures and I think they would look perfect. I just don't know wether to go with 16 or 17. The ones I like best only come in 17 or bigger, but the majority on this forum agree that 17 is too big and it will compromise ride quality too much, not to mention looking too big too. I don't make that much money so when I spend it I always gotta procrastinate like this...
I can't seem to find hardly any pictures of civics on 16s for some reason...everyone that posts their pictures here are 17+