Need quick help!

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm having problems with my civic, it's a 1995 honda civic ex. Only mod is a ram air intake. The other night it didn't want to start for me at all. The next morning it didn't want to start until like five tries. Now it's on a pretty regular basis of starting the second try. It turns over but just wont crank. I've recently replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter. Not because of this problem, but that may rule out some possible causes. ANY help on this would be greatly appreciated seeing as how this is my only form of transportation back and forth to work and I need to be able to rely on it.

One more problem I've been having that I would like to address, rather sooner than later, is that my temp gauge has been fluctuating between a quarter (normal operating temp for my civic) and a half. I'll just be driving along and the temp gauge will reach a half for no apparent reason, and then after about 60 seconds it will return to a quarter, then after a few minutes it may return to half. At first I blamed the hot weather for this, but it's doing it at night as well. I drained the radiator and replaced with all new coolant. Still nothing. My lower radiator hose is flat sometimes when the car is off and has cooled down, but when it's running it's flowing coolant just fine. Not sure if that's significant but I figured I'd throw it out there. Also, the reservoir is bypassed due to a crack in the reservoir. I don't think that is the problem seeing as how it's been by-passed for a while, and it's only started to do this recently.

Once again, any and ALL help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: regarding the problem with starting I've also recently replaced the ignition coil, and done a full tune-up. (Plugs, wires, cap, button, etc.)

Last edited:

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Have you checked your battery on your starting issue???

As for your temp issue check your thermostat.

I've never had these issues on a Honda, but I've had the symptoms on other cars and battery and thermostat were my issues

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you checked your battery on your starting issue???

As for your temp issue check your thermostat.

I've never had these issues on a Honda, but I've had the symptoms on other cars and battery and thermostat were my issues
Thanks ill check those, I'm somewhat leaning towards the relay though because this morning I went to crank it and the relay wouldn't click to engage the fuel pump

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
i would definitaly change ur main relay then look into testing ur coil. as far as that temp goes change ur thermostat if nothing get a new coolant temp sensor.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would definitaly change ur main relay then look into testing ur coil. as far as that temp goes change ur thermostat if nothing get a new coolant temp sensor.
Coolant temp sensor? Finally something new to look into. Appreciate it. I'm definitely going to replace the main relay, I know the ignition coil is good, already tested it, and I'll check back when the thermostat gets her and report if that's fixed the problem or not. Thanks guys

Gunner

Registered VIP
You should replace your reservoir IMO. The only way you can go without it is if you dont keep your cooling system full. While it wont cause any major noticable problems it is still not working 100% correct and may cause damage overtime.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How long ago did you replace the fuel pump and filter? Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the last position?

Did you burp the system after you put in new coolant? You may not have enough coolant in the system.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The coolant sounds like a thermostat or an air bubble in the system.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How long ago did you replace the fuel pump and filter? Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the last position?

Did you burp the system after you put in new coolant? You may not have enough coolant in the system.
Fuel pump last week, Fuel filter the week before.
Fuel pump primes just fine.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should replace your reservoir IMO. The only way you can go without it is if you dont keep your cooling system full. While it wont cause any major noticable problems it is still not working 100% correct and may cause damage overtime.
Yeah, I'm looking into it, I recently put a ram air intake on my civic so I free'd up all the room that the black plastic stock airbox crap was taking up that was in the way from letting me see where the reservoir is cracked. Been working a lot lately but I'll have time to look at it tomorrow when I get off.