Need some advice on tire size please?

Stickyittoyou

5+ Year Member
Hi there guys and girls,
Since I am going for new rims that are 16's I am curious how big of a difference 205/45ZR16 or 195/50ZR16 are? I would like a softer ride... but at the same time I'm coming down from 17's that rub when I hit bumps... So would the 195's work better or should I go even less because my choices are as followed
175/55-16
185/55-16
195/50-16
205/45-16
205/50-16
215/45-16
and the rims I will be getting

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?bp=4-100&yr=2000&pc=49261&counter=6&wd=16&rw=7&vid=006795

the 17's I currently have...

DoubleJ

The 16" rims I've run in the past have worn 205\45.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was running 17's for awhile and riding on 205/40's and now I'm on 15's with 195/55's and they ride MUCH softer

Stickyittoyou

5+ Year Member
(Have to re-post this)
I currently have 205/40/17's and they rub... makes me wonder if I have suspension issues. Looks like I will be investing in struts and coils. :werd:

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
205/40-17 3.2in 11.7in 23.5in 73.7in 860 0.0%
205/45-16 3.6in 11.6in 23.3in 73.1in 867 -0.8%

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
17's will always rub... My car had 17's when I bought it and I would rub whenever I would turn a corner or pulling into a driveway. I got 15's on the car now and I never rub (my front shocks are also blown)... So you probably don't have suspension problmes its just that civics wheels wells aren't ment for 17's lol

yamaharider324

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm running 195/50 on my 15" si's and like how they ride. They seem to ride just as smooth as the 205/55's I had on them previously. I think personally out of the sizes you listed 195/50-16 is best. I had rubbing issues with the 205s at full lock and when i hit bumps they would rub the top on my fender wells. Now with the 195s I'm still at the same height and no rubbing whatsoever.

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
Don't pick your tires size based on comfort. Pick your tire sized based on what's appropriate for your car.

205/45/16 is the right tire size to maintain fuel mileage, acceleration, etc. It is the closest to the overall wheel/tire diameter of your car.

If you want a comfy ride keep your stock wheels and stock suspension.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Don't pick your tires size based on comfort. Pick your tire sized based on what's appropriate for your car.

205/45/16 is the right tire size to maintain fuel mileage, acceleration, etc. It is the closest to the overall wheel/tire diameter of your car.

If you want a comfy ride keep your stock wheels and stock suspension.
^^this! if you have 17's on then you should be using a 205/40, if you have 15's then it should be 195/55 these tires for thier respective rims will keep your car as close to stock spec as possible. See this ---> http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html, and use it as a guide

Stickyittoyou

5+ Year Member
I'm running 195/50 on my 15" si's and like how they ride. They seem to ride just as smooth as the 205/55's I had on them previously. I think personally out of the sizes you listed 195/50-16 is best. I had rubbing issues with the 205s at full lock and when i hit bumps they would rub the top on my fender wells. Now with the 195s I'm still at the same height and no rubbing whatsoever.
205/45/16 is the right tire size to maintain fuel mileage, acceleration, etc.
Thank you! Both is exactly the information I needed to see.

Although I am concerned that if I where to get these rims and tires and they still where hitting the top that I should end up getting better struts and coils. Correct?

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
Not so much better, but if your tires are scrubbing the top of your fender there are two things you can do.

Hammer flat the weird lip that runs up the middle.

If that's not sufficient, up the rates on your suspension.

Stickyittoyou

5+ Year Member
Not so much better, but if your tires are scrubbing the top of your fender there are two things you can do.

Hammer flat the weird lip that runs up the middle.

If that's not sufficient, up the rates on your suspension.
I'd rather up the suspension then permanently alter the vehicle (aside from mechanical changes, I don't like changes to the body I always seem to mess up in that region... lol)

I will be saving up for these... $476.13 Shipped and more than likely I will not see a significant difference in ride height since my vehicle is already lowered. Plus these will be more stiff. Mine are after all more loose then my brothers OEM springs (this is why I believe mine are going to die).

http://www.clubcivic.com/store/eibach-sport-system-4-1840-780_p3812.html

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
(Have to re-post this)
I currently have 205/40/17's and they rub... makes me wonder if I have suspension issues. Looks like I will be investing in struts and coils. :werd:

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
205/40-17 3.2in 11.7in 23.5in 73.7in 860 0.0%
205/45-16 3.6in 11.6in 23.3in 73.1in 867 -0.8%
diameter of the wheel and tire size do not necessarily mean you will rub or that you are rubbing due to suspension components. The most likely cause of rubbing is that you have the incorrect offset for those wheels on your car. I've seen people ride slammed(almost tucking rim) on 17's on a 5th gen civic with no rubbing issues at all. It all has to do with having the proper setup.

17's will always rub... My car had 17's when I bought it and I would rub whenever I would turn a corner or pulling into a driveway. I got 15's on the car now and I never rub (my front shocks are also blown)... So you probably don't have suspension problmes its just that civics wheels wells aren't ment for 17's lol
17's will NOT always rub. Read my above response.

Thank you! Both is exactly the information I needed to see.

Although I am concerned that if I where to get these rims and tires and they still where hitting the top that I should end up getting better struts and coils. Correct?
If you're compression your suspension enough to rub inside the fenders, you're either too low, have springs that are too soft, or a combination of both. Shocks don't carry weight so springs would be something to look at first.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
diameter of the wheel and tire size do not necessarily mean you will rub or that you are rubbing due to suspension components. The most likely cause of rubbing is that you have the incorrect offset for those wheels on your car. I've seen people ride slammed(almost tucking rim) on 17's on a 5th gen civic with no rubbing issues at all. It all has to do with having the proper setup.

17's will NOT always rub. Read my above response.
I guess it was my biased opnion... cause I was slightly tucking on my 17's and would rub quite often

Stickyittoyou

5+ Year Member
I should learn specify more... They don't rub the sides when turning. They only rub the top when I get into bumps (even when I go 10 mph, the car seems bouncy; too bouncy). This is the main reason why I want to go the route of changing out my suspension (after changing rims, the tires I have now are cupping...)

Nothing like the sweet sound of "WerWerWerWerWer..." driving down the road. :D

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

:word: This is absolutely true.

I originally had 17's on mine with skunk 2 lowering springs on oem equivalent struts and I didn't rub in the least.

Wheel offset can make all the difference.

Stickyittoyou

5+ Year Member
:word: This is absolutely true.

I originally had 17's on mine with skunk 2 lowering springs on oem equivalent struts and I didn't rub in the least.

Wheel offset can make all the difference.
How should I go about finding out if the offset will work?

[EDIT] I see on the rims I plan on getting that the offset is
16X7 4-100/114 40FG

Will that work? what is a good offset to have?

See... I don't have rubbing even with the rims I have right now with the turning motion, but when it comes to bumps it hits the top.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For a 7 inch wide wheel +45 offset would be a better option in my opinion. The lower the + number the more that it will be towards the fender or even sticking out past it.

Give this a read if you have the time. Some good information. http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=10661