Need some doc.. on SRI/CAI vs. Stock

eortizr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I now everybody say that a SRI/CAI is useless in a stock motor... that you can just put a K&N drop-in filter and call it a day.. but ... I will like to see some real data... some Dyno sheets with both a K&N drop-in and then with the CAI/SRI... if anyone has it... thanks

BTW OC_Civic... how much cost the CF pipe you have in your stock intake? and where you get it?

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

dude dyno from a filter> the intake might make u a couple hp;s but its not noticable other than it makes it louder.

also if u were to look at oc;s thread from the link in his sig u;d see the name of the cf pipe he has. this

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
eortizr said:
I now everybody say that a SRI/CAI is useless in a stock motor... that you can just put a K&N drop-in filter and call it a day.. but ... I will like to see some real data... some Dyno sheets with both a K&N drop-in and then with the CAI/SRI... if anyone has it... thanks

BTW OC_Civic... how much cost the CF pipe you have in your stock intake? and where you get it?
we had a lengthy discussion on this site about intakes several times.. the most recent time was to discuss the password jdm c/f intake.. someone was claiming they could feel the improvement etc.. i just happen to run across a copy of import tuner in which they actually tested that same intake.. and the results were pitifull at best... if you want to actually make your car better.. just purchase a decent reputable higher flowing drop in filter.... the carbon/kevlar elbow i have on my intake is made by spoon sports.. all it does is eliminate the resonator to create a more direct flow of air.. but its expensive (like around $200) and doesnt net any real results.. i have it simply because i hate the resonator.. the other upside of a drop in is it is protected from dirt and debris a lot better than filter on a stick..

eortizr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's what I wanted to heard.. thanks a lot..!!!!

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well since your dont live in the states...i presume...get a SRI...the CAI isn't too fond of the rain....

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
bmoua said:
well since your dont live in the states...i presume...get a SRI...the CAI isn't too fond of the rain....
Why does it matter that he lives in the states?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
JiuJitsu_greg said:

puerto rico gets like 17ft of rain a month, and is known for its random bottomless lakes that magically appear in the middle of the street :what:

in all seriousness as we already discussed.. stick with the stock airbox and throw a K&N in there;)

cole

holding monster
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
JiuJitsu_greg said:
because everyone knows it dosent rain here ;)

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would put in my stock intake but I hate the way it looks (its the one with the filter right on top of the throttle body)

so...sri for me.

Dyl415X

never enough
5+ Year Member
If it wasnt for the fact that you gain some extra space to work on the passenger side of the engine bay with a SR or CA, I'd stay with the stock air box

eortizr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
puerto rico gets like 17ft of rain a month, and is known for its random bottomless lakes that magically appear in the middle of the street :what:
:D Is raining right now, haven't stop since yesterday.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
why exactly would u stick with the stock box? doesn't make that much sense. I know that the intakes might not add at ton of power but remember doing alot of these little things can help in the long run and also can help with certain other mods.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RHennin said:
why exactly would u stick with the stock box? doesn't make that much sense. I know that the intakes might not add at ton of power but remember doing alot of these little things can help in the long run and also can help with certain other mods.
let me break it down for you....

1. im sure the big metal pipe is not much colder than the oem one
2. i KNOW the oem tube is smooth (minus the resinator) and that is step one IMO of building the perfect intake..
3. i know filter on a stick filters GREAT day one.. day two.. or even week one MAYBE.. but when you clean and recharge it have you really looked at it.. there is in my opinion NO WAY on a daily driven street car with an open filter eliment like that can be as effective and free of clogs as a traditional filter box.. open element will get dirty very fast and be impractical for a street car
4. with the removal of the resonator you have a nice clear shot from filter to IM
5. this is something i have not done but seen done.. you can then run hose to the front grill to the factory opening in the bottom of the intake to essentially mimic the function of a CAI with OEM goodness AND no fear of submerging your filter in the water..

oem box with a few modifications is by far teh best intake

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
1. The cai has the possibility and is far more likely to take in colder air than the oem. Clearly I dont have data for this but if you look at the design it is clearly in theory suppose to take in colder air.
2. The oem tube is much smaller in diameter than the cai and ram air intakes. Clearly more air can be pushed at a given time than the oem.
3. The filter can get dirtier much easier, but they in some cases be rinsed out and cleaned with water or a recharge kit and in the k&n filters have a million mile warranty. I'm sure that these have the warranty because they are that good.
4. The intakes do add a slight gain in power in most cases. Follow my link I provided in the earlier post.

Even though many people say they dont add that much power, this is slightly true, but just think about the compounding effects of say a more free flowing intake, slightly bigger throttle body, and header. The combination of all of these helps, but remember if you have a restriction in the system i.e. oem intake, oem header, exhaust etc.. this will still hinder power gain. This is why I think that the cai or short ram are a good idea in the long run considering that most of us will add other things later on that could benefit from this.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Id just leave your stock box alone. I came to this conclusion after this thought process:

1. What do you drive? (A honda.)
2. Did honda design your AEM intake? (no)
3. Honda engineers their parts for THEIR cars (honda does not = AEM)

Thus, the statement is false and you should stay with stock.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RHennin said:
1. The cai has the possibility and is far more likely to take in colder air than the oem. Clearly I dont have data for this but if you look at the design it is clearly in theory suppose to take in colder air.
EASILY remidied with the removal of the resonator and adition of ducting to the front bumper grill area.. you can run dicting DIRECTLY from the grill to the air box without the risk the CAI brings by having the filter there..

RHennin said:
2. The oem tube is much smaller in diameter than the cai and ram air intakes. Clearly more air can be pushed at a given time than the oem.
clearly a 17inch wide exhaust pipe would allow more exhaust flow that does not mean it nets more power;)

RHennin said:
3. The filter can get dirtier much easier, but they in some cases be rinsed out and cleaned with water or a recharge kit and in the k&n filters have a million mile warranty. I'm sure that these have the warranty because they are that good.
sure they can.. so can my drop in filter.. the difference is you are cleaning yours TWICE as much as mine.. at least..

RHennin said:
4. The intakes do add a slight gain in power in most cases. Follow my link I provided in the earlier post.
ive read tons of intake comparison reports and dyno charts etc.. and i dont know man i just somehow doubt some of the results i see posted.. you will see one group report 3hp at the wheels.. and then another group report 1hp at the wheels... running a car on a dyno is a very good indication of performance.. BUT a dyno run can vary a few hp without ANY changes being made..

2lowshitur2slow

5+ Year Member
sk8shorty017 said:
Id just leave your stock box alone. I came to this conclusion after this thought process:

1. What do you drive? (A honda.)
2. Did honda design your AEM intake? (no)
3. Honda engineers their parts for THEIR cars (honda does not = AEM)

Thus, the statement is false and you should stay with stock.

So ur saying that u shoud not use anything that is not oem?
because stock is better fo ur car right!
hahahahahahahahahahaha