need some info on replacing piston rings

NoWayBack91Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i want to replace my piston rings due to them getting bad...im not too knowlegable with internal stuff so i thought you could just replace them and go on with it lol. i didnt know you had to get it honed as well. my question is, how much do you think a shop will cost to replace my rings? i figured i would get the ITR pistons and rings set and do that all at the same time. will they need to pull the motor and stuff to do this? any info would be greatly appreciated. for those that dont know i have the jdm gsr swap. do you recommend any other pistons? i think the ITRs will be good. also if i have this done, is there anything else you recommend upgrading at the same time. im not looking to fully build my motor or anything. and not planning on turboing it

Allmotor_junkie

4 Door Whore YO>
5+ Year Member
I am not to sure how much they would charge but i would also recomend changing your head gasket, front and rear main seal if they can get to it, timing belt+water pump, intake manifold gasket and bearings? these are the things i would change plus all the little random seals, like valve cover seal and spark plug seals.ect.

Why not get someone on the board that has experiance to help you and learn at the same time. I am sure if you toss someone some money and beer =) they will give you a hand.

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its actually not THAT hard to me the hardest part is getting the piston off the connecting rod.... other than that u jsut need gaskets and torque specs for everything.... really its mostly the head, IM, and oil pan but htere is alil more to it but if u have time and common sense and a torque wrench... shouldn't' take more than a day... just research it alil more bout it

NoWayBack91Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks guys..i DO know that i dont trust myself doing this

anymore feedback? does the motor need to be pulled?

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You're talking rebuild now.
It's much easier to pull the motor to do this.
Buy a "engine kit" that has all the gaskets, rings and bearings and
do it right. Cost around $300, but well worth it and much cheaper than
buying individual components.

You have to hone the cylinders at the least.
If they're worn to where you need a ridge reamer to remove the pistons
then you need to have it bored and use larger pistons.
That's why you need to check the cylinders before getting your kit,
in case you need new pistons, the machine shop that does the work can
tell you how much it needs to be bored to true it up and what piston size.
If you need it and don't do it, then the rings will not last very long.
And while you have the head off let them do a valve job.
That's a very important step.
Get a shop manual and it'll walk you through it.
It's not nearly as difficult as most think

Here's a link to my rebuild of my 98 EX.
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/jcquack/BODY AND PAINT/ENGINE REBUILDS/98 CIVIC/

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
man wish i could help. sounds like big stuff. this is HP waiting to be unleashed.

Black99CivicSi

Honda GSR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i want to replace my piston rings due to them getting bad...im not too knowlegable with internal stuff so i thought you could just replace them and go on with it lol. i didnt know you had to get it honed as well. my question is, how much do you think a shop will cost to replace my rings? i figured i would get the ITR pistons and rings set and do that all at the same time. will they need to pull the motor and stuff to do this? any info would be greatly appreciated. for those that dont know i have the jdm gsr swap. do you recommend any other pistons? i think the ITRs will be good. also if i have this done, is there anything else you recommend upgrading at the same time. im not looking to fully build my motor or anything. and not planning on turboing it

Man I have the same problem you are having.... i will def keep my eye on this thread

NoWayBack91Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
welp i got around to doing a compression test and the numbers where the same through each cylinder, so my rings are good. but i am still burning oil. what are some other things that can cause me to be burning oil?

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You say the numbers are the same, I hope they are within range.
Or could they all be low? If so, that's your problem.

Other causes.

Valve stem seals can be worn, (most likely)
They can be replaced without pulling the head.
Usually you'll get smoke when deaccelerating with foot off the gas
with bad seals.

Bad head gasket-should show up on pressure test, but not always.

Oil rings sticking, could be gummed up.

NoWayBack91Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You say the numbers are the same, I hope they are within range.
Or could they all be low? If so, that's your problem.

Other causes.

Valve stem seals can be worn, (most likely)
They can be replaced without pulling the head.
Usually you'll get smoke when deaccelerating with foot off the gas
with bad seals.

Bad head gasket-should show up on pressure test, but not always.

Oil rings sticking, could be gummed up.
yea the numbers where like 220, 216, 220, 220

yea i was thinkin it was the valve seals maybe..if i got a valve adjustment, do you think id be charged alot more extra if i tell them to replace the seals?

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's a lot more work so I'm sure it's gonna cost you.
The valvetrain has to be removed, and one by one each cylinder has to
be pressurized to keep the valves shut and then the spring can be removed
for access to the seal.
When everything is reinstalled then the valves should be adjusted.:cool:

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Funny this thread came up. My brother just had this work done on his car. He got valves and seals replaced. It cost him around $1200 with labour. That is CDN currency but then again... you might need more or maybe less. You have really good compression so I would say it would be the seals. It is common on a Honda to have bad seals.

knuckledog

5+ Year Member
just want to drop a line on this,, are you building a hi pro? or just want to get it back on the road as cheap as possible? i am a machinest, and a engine builder , feel free to ask any questions ... good luck

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just for your info.
I just rebuilt a 94 Civic that had bad exhaust valve guides, this is a common problem
The head had to be taken to a machine shop and have the guides pressed in.
They cost $5.00 each and $5.00 each to press in.
Along with the valve job the head was about $225.00 total.
Then the gasket set. I did all the labor.
It would have cost a fortune to have someone do it.
With bad guides you have to have a machine shop service the head.
The carbon buildup from bad guides was unbelievable.
Seals wouldn't have fixed that.:cool:

snozepp147

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
same things happening to me- i just rebuilt my motor ~1k miles ago and it's burning oil/smoking in high rpm vtec in the 3rd cylinder. but the compression is close to the others like yours.

i'm guessing it's valve seals for me. i'm gonna do the work myself. you just need a pressurizer for the cylinders (leakdown tester) and a valve seal removal tool (you can buy from ebay or anywhere). i just researched on h-t and people say it's do-able with the engine still in the car.

i'll let you know if that fixes my problem. as far as replacing rings goes, i wouldn't recommend doing that on your own if you don't have much technical experience as far as engine internals go, especially with the engine in the car.

EDIT: JCCLARK - did that 94 civic smoke a lot because of the bad valve guides? my head may just be f'ed.. if replacing the seals doesn't fix the problem, i may have to get a new head... only because i'm pretty sure it isn't the rings in the 3rd cyl. because i just replaced them. to the OP - it may be your rings even if the compression is equal to the others because it the cylinder is leaking oil, that will often help seal the holes in rings and boost your compression up.

silentdaredevil

Its not slow, its lag
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've come across quite a few of these threads lately. First off if you want to do it right, don't do it in the car. Reason being this, If you have ever taking a bore gauge, measuring the cyl. (top, middle, bottom) you will notice that they are tapered. For those of you who don't know what that means. Basically the cylinder is smaller at one end and larger at the other. You can replace every single nut, bolt, gasket etc... on the car. But at the end of the day if the machine work is not right you'll end up right back where you are now. Do your self a favor, take it out, and do it right.

dr.russak

just want to drop a line on this,, are you building a hi pro? or just want to get it back on the road as cheap as possible? i am a machinest, and a engine builder , feel free to ask any questions ... good luck
im also planning on rebuilding my 98 civic si and it has a blown motor i dont know if its easier to swap it or just to fix the b16 that s already in it? If easier to swap then would a honda prelude engine fit in or an accord engine? which of the two is better?