need urgent help here about audio system

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
aight guys..I AM NEW TO THIS SO TAKE IT EASY ON ME =))..here i am bought my subs (2 of sony xplod 12'' polypropylene cones) and my amp (1200W sony xplod) i know sony doesnt make best of best, i just like them..now i am wondering what else would i need to make it sound good..i know i'll need a capacitor, and i'm thinking of getting 2 6"x9" sony xplod speakers..i know they will fit my car but i dont know what the hell i am gonna do with the front speakers..what size would fit my car? plus, should i think of putting tweeters? if so where?
thnx

Old_Skool_Civic

4dr's rule too!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
skatistic888 said:
aight guys..I AM NEW TO THIS SO TAKE IT EASY ON ME =))..here i am bought my subs (2 of sony xplod 12'' polypropylene cones) and my amp (1200W sony xplod) i know sony doesnt make best of best, i just like them..now i am wondering what else would i need to make it sound good..i know i'll need a capacitor, and i'm thinking of getting 2 6"x9" sony xplod speakers..i know they will fit my car but i dont know what the hell i am gonna do with the front speakers..what size would fit my car? plus, should i think of putting tweeters? if so where?
thnx
The door speakers are 6 1/2", and yeah the two 6"x9" should fit right in with no problem, and yes definitely get some good tweeters to cover the highs, unless the 6"x9" tweeters are good enough for you. I had put my tweeters the front doors of my CRX and they sounded good.

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
now, i know its gonna sound stupid but what is 2-way, 3-way ?? i was looking for sum speakers i saw them...what r they? what would fit my system? i have an alpine 45x2 head unit by the way

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thnx old_skool.. what if i wanna add 2 more speakers? where do u think would be a good idea to put them? since i received money from my car, i can go crazywith that =) if i add 2 more subs, would the 1200W amp be enough? subs are also 1200W each (peak)..and the capacitor, what should i get 1 farad, 2 or 3?? and what excatly does a capacitor do? thnx for the help

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Getting capacitors really depends on how much power your system will produce. Im running 2 farads and the battery meter dunks but thats because im running 800x1 @ 1ohm stable which draws alot of freaking power.

How many speakers do you have now? I personally think 4 is enough if you dont have any dedicated holes for it. Unless you really need it, go for it. Just get 6x9 for the rear and 5.25 or 6.5 in the fronts. 6.5 for the fronts may reqiure cutting of the plastic mold on the door panel since its deeper. If you get good quality speakers, you dont really need that extra annoying crisp from adding tweeters.

I would use a 4 channel amp for the insides and use a Monoblock or 2 channel amp for the subs. Power distribution is more dedicated this way for quality sound.

Decks are now being made with plenty of power using just the internal amps. If you get a good deck with good power ratings, you probably wouldn't need a 4 channel amp. Of course adding one will make it sound much clearer and louder with little to no distortion at high volumes.

Try this link for car audio definitions also...
http://www.wantsound.com/glossary.htm

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would personally recommend components, not just the coaxs... they just sound better. But hey.. we're talking about Sony anyways... ;)

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
skatistic888 said:
now, i know its gonna sound stupid but what is 2-way, 3-way ?? i was looking for sum speakers i saw them...what r they? what would fit my system? i have an alpine 45x2 head unit by the way
when you look at a 2 way speaker, all that you will see is a tweeter(sometimes 2 tweeters) and a woofer cone, to methods of output, therefore a two way speaker.

3 way means you have a tweeter(or two) a small midrange next to the tweeter and then the woofer cone. A three way will give you a fuller sound

I agree with Akiahara96 though, if you can afford components, go for components, I have Boston components in the front and I wouldn't want it any other way, but I do have the premium sound so I have the factory tweeter mounts, so thats why I went with the components.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im bout to get some 3 way 6x9's for my accord once i get a job here again ... right now i got a panasonic 50x4 deck, 2 pioneer 400w 12's in a bandpass and a kenwood 600w 2ch amp. 4 gauge wiring to amp.

Stock speakers other than that lol.

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thnx u all for help guys..so rite now thats what i just bought:
2 of 12" 1200W sony xplod pentagonal subs
1 of 1200W sony xplod amp
(circuit city has a good deal rite now when u get a sub they give the other one for free, and if u buy an amp, they give a sub free...damn, i should've picked up the free sub! lol)

and in that case seems like i should buy these parts too:
2 of 6.5" or 5.25" speaker (3way)
2 of 6x9 speaker (3way)
a 4channel amp
a capacitor

i have an alpine head unit, i think it's either 45x2 or 45x4 (i think 45x2)
for speakers and the amp i wanna go with the sony xplods.. with that system, seems like i cant go under 2 farad for the capacitor, would it be enough? and what would you get for the 4 channel amp?
thnx

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just so we don't overlook the obvious, you do have an enclosure for the subs. Right?

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm taking the system to overseas, so i'll get them in there..it's cheaper anyway, or i can get a custom built for the 1/10 price in there..lol

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im still concerned about the capacitor and the 4 channel amp..my amp now is 2 channel, that will go with the subs

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
skatistic888 said:
i have an alpine head unit, i think it's either 45x2 or 45x4 (i think 45x2)
for speakers and the amp i wanna go with the sony xplods.. with that system, seems like i cant go under 2 farad for the capacitor, would it be enough? and what would you get for the 4 channel amp?
thnx
All head units should have 4 channels unless you blew out the other 2. Your deck is 45x4. Some have no power which makes it a preamp.

2 farads is more than enough with the setup you are going. 1 farad cap for 1000watts/2 farads for 2000 watts. Thats what companies usually spec on their product. The more the better of course.

4 channel amp? I would go for an alpine amp or equivalent. It doesnt have to be the latest and greastest when it comes to 4 channel amp. You can still get good quality used 4 channel amps on eBay.

handofgod

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
step 1- buy yourself a set of caoxial 6.5 inch speakers for the front - NOT components until you have an amp for them.
step 2- buy yourself a 4 channel amp to run your speakers off of. The fuse on this amp should be similar to the 80A on your sub amp.
step 3- 2 farads of capacitance.
step 4- uppgraded speakers
step 5- upgraded amps
speakers, amps, speakers, amps, .... throw in a deck or more caps here and there.

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
403 said:
step 1- buy yourself a set of caoxial 6.5 inch speakers for the front - NOT components until you have an amp for them.
step 2- buy yourself a 4 channel amp to run your speakers off of. The fuse on this amp should be similar to the 80A on your sub amp.
step 3- 2 farads of capacitance.
step 4- uppgraded speakers
step 5- upgraded amps
speakers, amps, speakers, amps, .... throw in a deck or more caps here and there.
all right man thnx, but could you explain the 1st and 2nd point more detailed? i didnt get the 80A point, and what difference does it make 80A or sumthing else? i am assuming the 4 speakers (2 of 6x9 rear and 2of 6,5 front) that i'll get will run on the 4-channel amp, am i right? or 2 of them run on 1 4 channel amp? i am really confused there
thnx

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
[civic] said:
All head units should have 4 channels unless you blew out the other 2. Your deck is 45x4. Some have no power which makes it a preamp.

2 farads is more than enough with the setup you are going. 1 farad cap for 1000watts/2 farads for 2000 watts. Thats what companies usually spec on their product. The more the better of course.

4 channel amp? I would go for an alpine amp or equivalent. It doesnt have to be the latest and greastest when it comes to 4 channel amp. You can still get good quality used 4 channel amps on eBay.

thnx for ur help man, i really appriciate it..i'll only be using the car in the summer time but i just wanna give my father a rocking sound system...lol i dont know if he would like it at the age of 55, thats another story..lol

bottomline i found 2 4 channel amps one alpine and one sony..i think i'll go for alpine since i believe more quality..do i have to buy another capacitor for this one?if system should look like this i guess

1200W 2-channel amp connected to 2 of 1200W subs <===> 1.5 or 2.0 farad capacitor

300W (not sure) 4 channel connected to 4 speakers (2 of 6''x9'' and 2 of 6.5'', both 3-way) <====> 1 farad capacitor

now, doesnt that capacitor for 4 channel amp seems a little bit unneccessary?? and what kind of effect does ohm setting have on choice of capacitor? and on the sound? (more ohm, louder?)

damn, i didnt know that building up a sound system would be that confusing..lol

thnx to u all guys

by the way circuit city is supposed to give me at least 2 free subwoofer (or 4 of them), i'm not gonna use them i know that!! lol, so if anyone near st. louis area (maybe new york), im willing the give them for the half of the regular price (whatever that is, i'll check it out tomorrow, they're profile subs)

apearoner

Alcoholic
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
skatistic888 said:
and what kind of effect does ohm setting have on choice of capacitor? and on the sound? (more ohm, louder?)
Im not going to claim to know anything about sound systems, but I do know a fair bit about electronic components etc.

As we all know, Capacitors store charge. Capacitors are usually rated in Farads (or Micro Farads). This Farad rating combined with the resistance in the circuit mean we are able to determine a time constant. One time constant is the time it takes to charge to 63% of its capacity, two TC's is a further 63% of that remaining 37% and so forth. After 5 time constants the capacitor is said to be fully charged.

Time Constant (seconds) = R (Resistance is Ohms) x C (Capacitance is Farads)
T = RC

In answer to your question. Ohms is a measure of resistance, and I dont believe high resistance would make your system louder (yet again, I dont know much bout audio related stuff).

Someone can hopefully tell me if what I just wrote relates to audio systems as well as electical circuits.

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
apearoner said:
Im not going to claim to know anything about sound systems, but I do know a fair bit about electronic components etc.

As we all know, Capacitors store charge. Capacitors are usually rated in Farads (or Micro Farads). This Farad rating combined with the resistance in the circuit mean we are able to determine a time constant. One time constant is the time it takes to charge to 63% of its capacity, two TC's is a further 63% of that remaining 37% and so forth. After 5 time constants the capacitor is said to be fully charged.

Time Constant (seconds) = R (Resistance is Ohms) x C (Capacitance is Farads)
T = RC

In answer to your question. Ohms is a measure of resistance, and I dont believe high resistance would make your system louder (yet again, I dont know much bout audio related stuff).

Someone can hopefully tell me if what I just wrote relates to audio systems as well as electical circuits.
lol..yea i remember some of the stuff from the high school physics but i couldnt relate it either..but i saw on the specs (of the amp) that on higher ohms they give higher rms rates..so i thought it might be related to loudness of the sound

apearoner

Alcoholic
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not too sure how resistance relates to the RMS output, but im fairly sure (from what ive heard) that RMS is the best indication of car audio equipt.

Sorry dude, my car audio knowledge is limited (as I said). Good luck, im looking at upgrading my system soon too.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
no, you don't need a cap for your 4-channel amp...

I hope you didn't buy this stuff already... 'cuz just glancing at the specs for the woofers and the amp that you were talking about... they don't exactly match up together. And you won't be getting 1200w from that amp, either... ever.

Also, 3-way components, if you were thinking of getting those, are uber expensive... I'd just recommend 2-ways... especially if you're not driving the car yourself all the time... but don't install them without an amp first.

=)