need urgent help here about audio system

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
aight, seems like i wouldnt be able to afford anything more than the one i bought anyway so i am content with the amp i have =)

akiahara96, what do u think about the amps i linked? what would be your choice? i wanna finish buying eveything =) =)

there's my amp (wrapped one) and my subs, head unit is not for my system

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If I were you, I'd either get the Alpine or the Sony. =)

handofgod

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
skatistic888 said:
:?: :?: :?: and can someone tell me what 'bridged' and 'crossover' mean? :roll:
BRIDGED means that you are running 2 channels of your amplifier as a single channel. This is common when using a 2 channel amp to drive subwoofers. Generally, you will connect only two terminals, leaving the other two empty.

a CROSSOVER (also called a FILTER) is used to remove some frequencies of the music you are playing. Generally, those frequencies remaining are used to describe the effect. For instance, a high-pass crossover removes lower frequencies, leaving higher sounds which are usually midrange and up. A low-pass crossover removes high sounds, leaving only bass. Using crossovers simplifies the music signal your speaker has to reproduce, allowing it to play both louder and cleaner.

handofgod

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
skatistic888 said:
i already have the amp and the subwoofers, what do u mean by 'not matching'? :roll: what they should be to match? what rates?

i found 3-ways just 10bucks more expensive than the 2-ways,they are also xplods too

thnx
In spite of the power ratings sony has plastwered on their product, your amp and subwoofers are an excellent match. Properly installed, they will perform just fine. As far as speakers go, buy a speaker that fits your speaker location. The extra puny tweeter on a 3-way speaker is next to useless, it's only good for throwing away 10 bucks. To prove this, go with a friend to your local stereo shop, and bring a blindfold. Wear the blindfold, trying to guess which is which while your friend switches back and forth between them. Buy the ones that sound better, not the ones with a gimmick.

One more thing -- don't buy speakers with seperate mids and tweeters until you have an amp to run them with.

handofgod

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Akiahara96 said:
Bridging... turning 8 ohm woofers into a 4 ohm load for your amp... or 4 ohm woofers into a 2 ohm load. It's all in the wiring.
=)
This is impedance matching, not bridging. You can bridge a single subwoofer with a single voice coil.

Bridging relates to how the wiring was done at the amp. If you wired two stereo channels as one mono channel, you have bridged the amplifier. This is usually done using the left positive and the right negative speaker connections, but not always. check your owner's manual.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
403 said:
This is impedance matching, not bridging. You can bridge a single subwoofer with a single voice coil.

Bridging relates to how the wiring was done at the amp. If you wired two stereo channels as one mono channel, you have bridged the amplifier. This is usually done using the left positive and the right negative speaker connections, but not always. check your owner's manual.
isn't that what I said? is that it's all in the wiring?

I know you can bridge a woofer with a single voice coil... I have SVC woofers.

I'm just thinking of simple ways to explain things instead of trying to get all tech-like with it, thank you very much.