need urgent help with the capacitor...

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey guys, im trying find a suitable capacitor for my system..i have 2 of sony xplod 12" subs, they rate 1200w peak..and i have a 2 channel xplod 1200w amp..what kind of capacitor should i buy? now i have a tsunami 1farad but i have that feeling that it wont be enough..what do u guys think? if i buy 1 more later on, can i bridge 2 capacitors together and get 2 farad?

rollinj86

Hit the vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get rid of the sonys they suck, i went through so many thinking sony was the s**t but there not. there amps burn out there subs blow.

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think they ok..everything has a limit..i will run the amps at 4ohm so there will not be much chance for them to burn out...but for now my problem is the capacitor..read my first post please

thnx

apearoner

Alcoholic
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Depending on how they were set up, 2 x 1farad capacitors would be the equivilant to 2farad. They'd need to be set up in parallel, not series.

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
apearoner said:
Depending on how they were set up, 2 x 1farad capacitors would be the equivilant to 2farad. They'd need to be set up in parallel, not series.
do u think i need to buy a second one? based on my system?

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get one for now..unless you got the money, get a 2 or 3 farad cap.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
those subs won't get near 1200w, so 1 farad works.

xtingshun

chillin
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
alternator

Yea the 1 farad cap will be just fine with that amp, but more important do you have a good alternator (bigger than the stock honda one ) and a better battery (optima yellow top pref.) That's a more important concern than the cap.... if you have a good alternator/battery set up and the cap you'll be just fine...

DredwerkZ

Irish Devil
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Akiahara96 said:
those subs won't get near 1200w, so 1 farad works.
Exactly...1 Farad is plenty...if you need more later on..and thats a big IF....then get another one and wire them together.

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had a .5 farad rockford fosgate cap once... Looked like a soda can. Did a great job for 2 200 watt rms subs and a 60x2 old skool rockford amp.

Now I have 2 farads and the battery gauge drops to about 11.8 v from 14v during a heavy load. I dont have dimming lights though surprisingly.

It wouldnt hurt to have a second 1 farad cap imo. Or just get a 2 farad cap. Shouldnt cost that much.

skatistic888

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DredwerkZ said:
Exactly...1 Farad is plenty...if you need more later on..and thats a big IF....then get another one and wire them together.
dats what i thought too, rms of the subs are sumthing around 350w...im not sure about the alternator tho..car is my father's..its a nissan, its kinda old..i wrecked mine peacefully :lol:

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
getting a new alternator, or upgrading yours, is the best upgrade you can do to a sound system. Put in all the extra batteries and caps that you want, but when it comes down to it, the alternator is the biggest factor. =)